LiveTV - Still problems with multiple Streams in master m3u8

FrancisG

FrancisG

Hi,

I am running the latest Emby server version 4.7.8.0. 

I have a problem with the following LiveTV channel: https://mcdn.one.ard.de/ardone/hls/master.m3u8 .

If I use this URL, I can pick different audio streams, but the video stream is fixed to the first one with low resolution. Since this channel has multiple video streams, I would assume

that I can choose between different resolutions as well?!

Here is the content of this URL:

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-VERSION:4

#EXT-X-INDEPENDENT-SEGMENTS

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=1672000,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=1460800,CODECS="avc1.4d401f,mp4a.40.2",RESOLUTION=640x360,FRAME-RATE=50.000,AUDIO="program_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"

master-360p-1200.m3u8

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=2182400,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=1900800,CODECS="avc1.4d401f,mp4a.40.2",RESOLUTION=960x540,FRAME-RATE=50.000,AUDIO="program_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"

master-540p-1600.m3u8

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=4224000,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=3660800,CODECS="avc1.640020,mp4a.40.2",RESOLUTION=1280x720,FRAME-RATE=50.000,AUDIO="program_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"

master-720p-3200.m3u8

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=6520800,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=5640800,CODECS="avc1.64002a,mp4a.40.2",RESOLUTION=1920x1080,FRAME-RATE=50.000,AUDIO="program_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"

master-1080p-5000.m3u8

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=1034000,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=910800,CODECS="avc1.4d401e,mp4a.40.2",RESOLUTION=480x270,FRAME-RATE=50.000,AUDIO="program_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"

master-270p-700.m3u8

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,LANGUAGE="deu",NAME="Stereo",AUTOSELECT=YES,DEFAULT=YES,GROUP-ID="program_audio",URI="master-stereo.m3u8"

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,LANGUAGE="mul",NAME="Original",AUTOSELECT=YES,DEFAULT=NO,GROUP-ID="program_audio",URI="master-original.m3u8"

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,LANGUAGE="klare sprache",NAME="Klare Sprache",AUTOSELECT=YES,DEFAULT=NO,GROUP-ID="program_audio",URI="master-ks.m3u8"

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,NAME="Deutsch",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,FORCED=NO,LANGUAGE="de",GROUP-ID="subs",URI="master-subs.m3u8"

If I use for example this URL  https://mcdn.one.ard.de/ardone/hls/master-1080p-5000.m3u8 in my channels m3u list directly, I have a high resolution video stream, but no audio.

What I also tried is downloading this master.m3u8 to my server`s local file system, removing all low resolution streams, replacing the URIs with absolute URIs and referencing this local master.m3u8 in my channels m3u list. However, then it does not work at all. It seems, the local reference cannot be resolved?!

Does anyone have a solution or at least a workaround to this problem?

Hello FrancisG,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

HI, you don't get to choose in Emby, but the server should pick the highest quality stream in most cases. Does that answer your question? If not, can we please look at a playback example?

Thanks.

FrancisG

Hi Luke,

thank you very much for the quick reply. The channel I listed in the first post is actually a real example. So here, Emby does not select highest quality stream:

So I put this URL in my m3u channel file:   https://mcdn.one.ard.de/ardone/hls/master.m3u8

Emby selects the 480p stream and not the highest quality one (see attached picture).

If I do curl https://mcdn.one.ard.de/ardone/hls/master.m3u8 I get the output listed in the first post, where 

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=6520800,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=5640800,CODECS="avc1.64002a,mp4a.40.2",RESOLUTION=1920x1080,FRAME-RATE=50.000,AUDIO="program_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"

master-1080p-5000.m3u8

would be the one with the highest quality. 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-19 um 16.03.21.png

Ok yes, this will be an open issue with this particular hls stream for now. Most HLS we parse ourselves without using ffmpeg, and when we do this, we pick the highest quality stream.

But when our parsing doesn't support a certain hls feature that the manifest is using, then we pass it off to ffmpeg and usually it winds up picking the first one in the list.

This manifest splits it's audio and video separately, so we need to use ffmpeg to put it back together.

FrancisG

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there any workaround possible? Or should I use another tool like NextPVR via plugin? It is a little bit disappointing, because I bought Emby Premiere for having this additional LiveTV feature and there are more streams like this particular one in Germany also with split video and audio. Will there be a fix near term or probably even a menu where a video stream could be selected and set as default one like it is already possible for the different audio streams? Something along those lines would be really awesome. 

FrancisG

Great! Thanks a lot! I really like Emby. It has exactly those options I was looking for, especially local server discovery is working absolutely reliably. Keep up the great work and I am looking forward to the improved LiveTV feature. 

LiveTV - question?
Wenn the User is Streaming LIVE TV is he Streaming over the Emby Server or direkt?

Regards :)