What Would You Do Part 2

Airbender

Airbender

Hi very interesting even if i switch between Hard drives i am not able to install OS which i was able to before

so i made a video for this thing mybe someone will be able to help

This issue with this pc just getting better and better and i am not able to figure it out sorry guys to ask for so much

kinda dead in water

Thanks

Tharnax

It appears you are only getting this message now, after you've done one full install.  @ 4:43 minutes in the video why did you quit out?  What happens if you try to continue with installation without installing the RAID drivers, is the HD you want to install the OS found or not?  Did you try continuing without installing the drivers?  

FYI, It was hard to see/read the BIOS and RAID screens as you went through them, but I'm assuming by the previous screen shots that the two new drives are set as RAID 1.

It would be odd, but I'm wondering if somehow the RAID drivers are still cached which is why your getting that message.  Do the same thing again, wait for that message, once you get it go back to the Install now screen and click install.  See if have any drives available to install the OS on.  I'm assuming you still only have two drives in the machine, based on previous posts: 2x 128GB SSDs.

Airbender

It appears you are only getting this message now, after you've done one full install.  @ 4:43 minutes in the video why did you quit out?  What happens if you try to continue with installation without installing the RAID drivers, is the HD you want to install the OS found or not?  Did you try continuing without installing the drivers?  

FYI, It was hard to see/read the BIOS and RAID screens as you went through them, but I'm assuming by the previous screen shots that the two new drives are set as RAID 1.

It would be odd, but I'm wondering if somehow the RAID drivers are still cached which is why your getting that message.  Do the same thing again, wait for that message, once you get it go back to the Install now screen and click install.  See if have any drives available to install the OS on.  I'm assuming you still only have two drives in the machine, based on previous posts: 2x 128GB SSDs.

Hello

The problem is it wont let me go further that why i quit the install , and i think you nilled it , yes with this UEFI Motherboard i have such hard time installing OS

so you are correct this MB does cached so mybe that why i am having such hard time re installing the OS again and again so even after i clear C Mos and deleted the raid and so on it still rember the old setting which is not cool. i just walk up and today is my day off so i will try USB method of installing OS

Thanks

Airbender

Hello

It seems this who issue has to do with UEFI and Raid 1 setup in one motherboard

if i understand this issue then it seems like Raid 1 requires legacy IDE or SATA ATA configurations vs UEFI with SSD requires ACHI

but in my understanding higer end products always used ACHI as this not a new technology it been in used since 90's it just become more avilable to general public now as people wants large size hard drive 3 TB and 5 TB.

Airbender

Install from US is worth a shot.  I didn't realize you were trying to install from a DVD.

Hi actually i got it all working now Raid 1 On Sat Port 5 and 6 with SanDisk 120 GB SSD

more update on this once i am done

Thanks

Airbender

Hi

So here is little update :

So i was able to fix one Hot Swap bay and attach it back to my case and Antec will send me a new Fan for 2nd Time and 2 Hot Swaps FREE

now i manged to get Raid 1 working as hardware raid and install OS in it. I am sure i am going run into new challenges  but for right now i am running windows updates.

My computer is back the way it was so it will be able to support 10 Drives even when i have only 3 Drives in it at this moment , it seems because Raid is enabled i am not able to see my 2TB Drive or it could be that i need Drive Driver which i don't renumber what i did last time to get all different drives to be recognized in ACHI Mode. Next after that will be to install the driver for both Sata Cards same thing i dont know what i did last time to get it working and my OneNote notes are in my 2TB which is not recognized by MB yet.

So much Challenges ahead but i am  confident slowly i will over come them in re-building my system to point it will be more solid and stable

I will use Port 1 and Port 2 of the MB for FliexRaid Pairty Drives and Port 3 and 4 for extra data drives just in case i need more space to increase my storage space.

This will give me advantage to expand or go over 23 TB + i will have more space for at lest 4 More drives to add into my case just like my old setup OR i can buy a new NAS System or Storage system like sans Digital one i get with 8 Bay 

to fix my issue i had to make so many phone calls to ASUS and finally figure out the proper setup for this motherboard as Manual and online documentations was little vague about the entire setup

The key was understanding UEFI Mode + Raid Mode + Legacy Mode as ASUS Built in Raid does not Rebuild it actually works in silent mode to rebuild the Raid

so if i see critical error then i just need to replace Hard drive in question and move on and after few days it will show up as Functional

No where in their manual or forums or chat anyone said about this until i got in the phone with 3 different tech and all conformed my setting in bios and setting in raid and after that everything went smooth

So i am going work on my next challenges to get this pc up and running and configured properly as now i have space and proper setup

I would like to Thanks everyone for last 1 Months in all the help and advise and support getting this far to me it feel like miles stone to get this much done and special Thanks to my buddy Tharnax to take his time and jump in and help me again and again from start to this point

I really hope all these update help others in there setup and configurations

Thanks

Tharnax

The key was understanding UEFI Mode + Raid Mode + Legacy Mode as ASUS Built in Raid does not Rebuild it actually works in silent mode to rebuild the Raid

so if i see critical error then i just need to replace Hard drive in question and move on and after few days it will show up as Functional

That's ridiculous!  I can understand the desire to make life easier for the end user to rebuild in silent mode, however, there either should be some documentation to say so or at least some sort of notification that a rebuild is in progress.  Just the lack of a few words resulted in a lot of wasted time trying to figure out why the rebuild wasn't working or wasn't available as an option.

Before dumping in too many variables, build up slowly.  Make sure Windows 7 is all up-to-date with updates before going to far with installing the SATA cards and adding more drives.  

Also, I'd suggest add a drive at a time.  They can be powered and installed in the case, but I'd suggest plugging them into the actual motherboard one at a time.  It may take a bit more time, but if something isn't working or stops working then you know exactly the cause.  Much easier to trouble shoot then adding 10 different things, which ends up not working right and you have no idea where the problem is and spend so much more time trying to figure it out.

On my server down south, I recently added an 8 port 6GB Sata card.  I didn't follow my own rule and I installed everything and powered on.  Well nothing happened, no new drives at start up, Windows didn't appear to recognize the card but the drive lights were on so they were getting power.  Anyway, after a fair bit of unplugging this and unplugging that I teared it all back down to realize that the SATA card wasn't sitting properly in the motherboard slot.  Had I started just with the SATA card install and confirmed it was recognized by Windows it would have saved me a ton of unnecessary trouble shooting.  Just my story & $.02!

As for support, you earned it from the positive and ongoing support you've put forward for MB3 since the early Beta release!  Least we can do is try to get you back up and running again!

• Like 1

Airbender

Hi

Thanks alot , so far everything went well , i only have 2 SSD and one 2 TB drive on my computer at this moment and windows updates went well. next will be to start installing software and configuring them one by one. i am not going to ghost it i will start fresh and then connect my San's Digital 8 bay storage to this pc and final stage will be to install flexRaid 

Thanks

Airbender

Hello Everyone,

I am back it been long time since i had this post so here is the update:

For past 11 Days i been sick like a dog so i miss one week of work and did not work on my system now i am feeling much better

so before i go and setup this system i did some test everything looks great Raid 1 works properly the OS is working great and drivers and so on all good to go

But running into a new problem Windows 7 black screen after login ? so strange. so i created 2 different users and went to login and logoff between them no luck. Google the issue and started with every possible solution i can think or find no luck.

See i am going to use this system Remotely so i am not worried about local login but because i am trying to setup a system fail proof this minor issue is bothering me

I have ghost copy of my orginal image and i can use it i am not sure on Raid 1 if the hard drive will be detected by ghost cd or my second option is to do a new OS re-install and start over again

Can someone advise

Airbender

Hi after hours of trying different thing i am going to re install the OS and see how it goes as this is one new issue and seems no one cant point to the issue

Airbender

Hi

Went old school got MS Win 7 64bit the original CD that came out in 2010 and it seems installed fine and no issue with switching between users and worked very well with Raid 1 So now i am getting somewhere now

Airbender

Hello,

so back to normal now very busy at work so did not get chance to work on my system much.

The next issue is if i can get 2 3TB Drives and use them as 6TB parity with FlexRAID ?

My system has all 2 TB and 3 TB and one Hard drive 4TB
so i have option to wait until 4TB goes on sale for parity or buy 2 hard drives of size of 3TB at $100 USD and make them parity drive of size of 6 TB

Please advise

Airbender

hello

Feel sad back to start again Raid 1 OS wont stay something to do with Raid 1 and UEFI and no matter what i do

i cant properly install OS

I tried installing with UEFI Methods and after it install os and restart pc i get disk error even thought both SSD are fine 

Strange issue i cant figure it out

Airbender

Hello

Trying to install again and seeing all kind of different error but i notice something this time
a new error : Windows cannot be installed to this disk.

'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.'

I am 100% Sure this error has something to do with TRIM Support in SSD and ACHI Mode under UEFI and Raid 1
as Raid 1 Uses legacy Mode which is IDE/SATA

Not sure how to fix this

Thanks

Airbender

Hello so fanilly i got the pc to install os and updates with no problems and it seems very stable with Raid 1 and UEFI so hopefully i will be able to connect my San's Digital 8 Bay system to it

Tharnax

Sounds like you've been having lots of issues with your new install, it definitely sucks but it appears your working through it.  

I've run into my own issue recently with my WHS2011 install.  I've got WHS2011 install on a 750GB drive with the automatic 60GB partition and the rest in a "storage" partition, I use it for ripping Blu-ray, running sickbeard, etc.  Anyway, with the ever expansion of MB3 my 60GB partition filled up.  So I figured I'd just delete the extra "storage" partition, expand the 60GB partition and recreate smaller "storage" partition.  Unfortunately, something went wrong with the process and I fried the Bootmgr.  I was able to do a restore to my last back-up which was in early Oct, however, my Drive Bender storage pool was in a fault tolerant state.  Did a repair but it appears one drive didn't comeback and with all the drives in my system I'm not sure which it is and I still haven't fixed the space issue on the OS drive partition.

Looks like I'm in for an OS reinstall so I can fix the partition size and then reinstall and reconfigure all my apps and hopefully I figure out what went wrong with Drive Bender as I don't have any failed drives but one has to be missing because I had all episodes for certain shows but now some episodes are missing.  

Isn't technology fun!

Airbender

Sounds like you've been having lots of issues with your new install, it definitely sucks but it appears your working through it.  

I've run into my own issue recently with my WHS2011 install.  I've got WHS2011 install on a 750GB drive with the automatic 60GB partition and the rest in a "storage" partition, I use it for ripping Blu-ray, running sickbeard, etc.  Anyway, with the ever expansion of MB3 my 60GB partition filled up.  So I figured I'd just delete the extra "storage" partition, expand the 60GB partition and recreate smaller "storage" partition.  Unfortunately, something went wrong with the process and I fried the Bootmgr.  I was able to do a restore to my last back-up which was in early Oct, however, my Drive Bender storage pool was in a fault tolerant state.  Did a repair but it appears one drive didn't comeback and with all the drives in my system I'm not sure which it is and I still haven't fixed the space issue on the OS drive partition.

Looks like I'm in for an OS reinstall so I can fix the partition size and then reinstall and reconfigure all my apps and hopefully I figure out what went wrong with Drive Bender as I don't have any failed drives but one has to be missing because I had all episodes for certain shows but now some episodes are missing.  

Isn't technology fun!

Oh dude that sucks i am sorry to hear that

Airbender

Hi

So today gols is to configure the NAS System to work with my pc as this is my first time playing with e-sata connectors

last night i connected it and my pc did not see it so i slept on it , my gol was to conect it using e-sata port that came with the motherboard and not the card that came with it so now time to learn new things

Thanks

CBers

Isn't technology fun!

Another Drive Bender user :)

You haven't got the remainder of your OS disk in DB have you?

You using v2?

Edited by CBers

Tharnax

Hi

So today gols is to configure the NAS System to work with my pc as this is my first time playing with e-sata connectors

last night i connected it and my pc did not see it so i slept on it , my gol was to conect it using e-sata port that came with the motherboard and not the card that came with it so now time to learn new things

Thanks

Sorry, no suggestions here.  I've avoided NAS Systems connected through e-sata for this reason, although many have success and it should just be plug and play.