Chromecast issues

ramrod215

ramrod215

My Chromecast seems to stop playing randomly during remote play from android app. I say randomly because it can happen 5 min in to 10 min in. I did manage to get a family guy episode to play all the way through no issues. All files are WTV converted to MVK. Only difference seems to be audio family guy was stereo and all the others were 5.1

Redshirt

Does the same thing happen when you use the web client to play media to a CC?

ramrod215

Yes it does. I just tried it from my browser on chrome. Also restarted by server and still happening. I can move the slider ahead and it will start playing again. Seems to happen in the same spot on this certain episode could it be from the encoding profile from MCEbuddy (the high mkv one)

ramrod215

I am thinking its not a Chromecast issue more of the transcoder issue. I will upload my logs when I get home.

Yes it does. I just tried it from my browser on chrome. Also restarted by server and still happening. I can move the slider ahead and it will start playing again. Seems to happen in the same spot on this certain episode could it be from the encoding profile from MCEbuddy (the high mkv one)

I have the exact same issue. I have to try this again later to get some logs. When casting the show will freeze up, usually at cut commercial breaks. I also use MCEBuddy with comskip, but I don't re-encode to mkv, just a straight commercial removal. If I move the slider a few seconds forward, the show will start to play fine again. The same happens when playing over DLNA to my samsung tv as well. 

If I play the episode on the pc hosting MB, it plays fine, both within MB and WMC. 

Sp3kt3r

Today I had the same issue... it's never consistent.. I can play the whole show without issue and sometime it will freeze 2-3 times.

The only thing I do, is STOP and click play,resume and it continues. Most of my movie are MKV (720 or 1080) with AC3/DTS.

I will also investigate and look at the log.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I finally got around to getting some logs. Using the latest server and android app. It seems like it is freezing up at scene cuts while casting to my chromecast. HLS is on, but it does the same thing with it turned off. 

Transcoding Log

Server Log

Edited by Ren34

Sp3kt3r

Same issue here.. I found a show that it does it more often .. (At least every 5 minutes) I will look more in the log and it does it either with android app or webclient. Could be a transcoding issue.

Same issue here.. I found a show that it does it more often .. (At least every 5 minutes) I will look more in the log and it does it either with android app or webclient. Could be a transcoding issue.

Yeah that's what I am thinking, I am stuck watching all my recordings on my main HTPC since casting no longer works correctly.

We've pushed some updates to the receiver page recently so please try again. Whenever you have a problem, please see:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

In addition to the link above, please specify what app you were casting from. Google has also been updating their HLS implementation recently and has unfortunately created some defects that we have to try and work around until they're resolved.

thefirstofthe300

We've pushed some updates to the receiver page recently so please try again. Whenever you have a problem, please see:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

In addition to the link above, please specify what app you were casting from. Google has also been updating their HLS implementation recently and has unfortunately created some defects that we have to try and work around until they're resolved.

So is this the reason that Android's HLS has been on the fritz since 4.4.3?

thefirstofthe300

Yeah.  When I updated to 4.4.3, I was rather confused why all of the media apps broke.  It made no sense.

My real question is if Android L is going to bring the end of these problems. I find it odd that Google hasn't fixed the HLS bug as it seems like it would affect a HUGE number of multimedia apps, including the most popular like Plex and MB.

they've pledged to fix it. they're investing more energy into their competing mpeg-dash format but they've come out and said it will be improved.

Redshirt

It has affected Plex, there's similar threads on their forum. Based on several bug reports submitted to Google it is affecting a wide range of software that uses the stock internal video player 

thefirstofthe300

I will admit I still use Plex (but ONLY for the device syncing) so I know about the Plex problems. Can't wait for sync to go live so I can dump Plex totally.  Such a pain to keep two servers' watched status's in sync.

Glad to know that Google is going to get their act together eventually.

Edited by DaBungalow