Scan Metadata Folder task running constantly

Spaceboy

Did you create a schedule for it? There is nothing in the server that kicks off this scheduled task.

It's only there for you to run manually as needed.

Spaceboy
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you create a schedule for it? There is nothing in the server that kicks off this scheduled task.

It's only there for you to run manually as needed.

image.thumb.png.086734f7078a421689b33859201b99a1.png

nope

Happy2Play

Not sure I follow as there is deleting path /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx items shown in that log not metadata scan.

Also the task hasn't run as you do not have "Debug TaskManager: Executing Scan Metadata Folder".  What does the UI show for when the task was last run?

image.png.78aa4ffd96b11ede5f70fcad27ef7da7.png

Spaceboy
40 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not sure I follow as there is deleting path /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx items shown in that log not metadata scan.

Also the task hasn't run as you do not have "Debug TaskManager: Executing Scan Metadata Folder".  What does the UI show for when the task was last run?

image.png.78aa4ffd96b11ede5f70fcad27ef7da7.png

can't comment on the logs. too complicated for me to follow.

but the task is running per scheduled tasks

image.png.76ced2e931bf342c0831076757ba702a.png

OK if you haven't actually seen the task running then it's probably just an issue with the Last Ran date. I've seen this once or twice before but haven't chased it down yet.

Spaceboy

its running according to the scheduled task and dashboard

image.png.26e7c35014bd4aa2ca07179c55f4d1b1.png

also advanced media info shows up a lot. so possibly the mediainfo plugin?

Spaceboy
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@Spaceboy but from the log provided the task has not run.

i'm just reporting what is happening. the scheduled task shows it running at the time and x mins ago after "completion". the dashboard shows it running. probably once an hour

Edited by Spaceboy

OK so it is actually running. That is strange. there is nothing in the server that kicks off this task, so perhaps a plugin is doing it.

Spaceboy

right at the end of this log something happened that caused my live tv stream to stop and the server completely unresponsive and inaccessible from any client for 2-3 mins. by the time i'd logged onto the pc to look at it everything had sorted itself out.

scan metadata was runnign at the same time. this has been happening on and off over the last few weeks which i why i started the thread thinking the task may be a symptom.

still have a feeling its something to do with the mediainfo plugin. does the log give any clues?

embyserver(10).txt

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
17 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

confirmed that the issue was the mediainfo plugin. once removed the continual scanning and freezes stop. @Cheesegeezer

Hi SB,

I did check your log and there were a lot of removals from the library and a lot of additions in that log of yours.  All of which the plugin picked up and would wait 3 mins after each item was added before running the mediainfo task and then on task complete would run a library scan to update any info if necessary

Metadata Scan is only called to run once after the MediaInfo task is completed.

From your log it looks like your ScripterX is performing a lot of maintenance, either removing or adding new items

image.png.141bb8544e41781ec32bed6f670422b7.png

which triggers the MediaInfo Task to run.  If you turn off the Auto run on new item added does that prevent the issue

image.png.126c2128e5f1cb4c7141f7309e682866.png

I have a new release coming out soon which actually caters for Multiversions also for TV and Movies.

I think that the scripterX and mediainfo - run on new item added might be fighting each other.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I have also added an info line to the log so you can monitor if it's the plugin causing the metadata endless cycle, if it is, we can address it

image.png.48119516a21f16fd16d174c673db1bba.png

• Like 1

Spaceboy
4 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

which triggers the MediaInfo Task to run.  If you turn off the Auto run on new item added does that prevent the issue

cheers, will give this a try. scripterx is kicking off comskip when a live tv recording starts. not sure if this is possible but there is nothing for the plugin to do with live tv recordings so could be excluded somehow?

Edited by Spaceboy

Cheesegeezer
5 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

cheers, will give this a try. scripterx is kicking off comskip when a live tv recording starts. not sure if this is possible but there is nothing for the plugin to do with live tv recordings so could be excluded somehow?

my lib scans only kick off if the item is of type episode or movie, it shouldn't start any tasks if they are not either of those.  But i will double check that the code is solid.

Spaceboy
2 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

my lib scans only kick off if the item is of type episode or movie, it shouldn't start any tasks if they are not either of those.  But i will double check that the code is solid.

yeah most tv recordings are still "episodes" so it makes sense why the plugin is processing them.

seems ok so far after turning off the autorun option. should i enable the advanced media information task to allow things to be processed still, probably overnight?

Cheesegeezer
10 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

yeah most tv recordings are still "episodes" so it makes sense why the plugin is processing them.

seems ok so far after turning off the autorun option. should i enable the advanced media information task to allow things to be processed still, probably overnight?

yeah set the scheduled task to run at 4am, it's pretty quick to process new items.  I know that someone did it with over 30000K episodes that had 3 different mediasources also and that was really quick to do (under 3hrs).

• Like 1

The scan metadata folder task should not be assumed to be quick. In fact it will be slow for many users. It's also not something that needs to run on a schedule, only on-demand based on the conditions mentioned in the description text.

Spaceboy

since uninstalling the mediainfo plugin the continuous scanning of the metadata folder has stopped. hopefully this evening i'll be able to confirm that that stream freezing that occured with it has also stopped. I'll install the mediainfo plugin on my beta server install and see if the problems continue there and then hopefully we could look to troubleshoot it? @Cheesegeezer

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer

15 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

since uninstalling the mediainfo plugin the continuous scanning of the metadata folder has stopped. hopefully this evening i'll be able to confirm that that stream freezing that occured with it has also stopped. I'll install the mediainfo plugin on my beta server install and see if the problems continue there and then hopefully we could look to troubleshoot it? @Cheesegeezer

I can easily disable the auto scan or be more mindful of other tasks that are running. It’s probably a good practice now for us 3rd Party devs to get into. which is let the user just use a scheduled task to run the plugins. Or we monitor other tasks running, and sleep our task until everything else has completed.

we are just trying to help the users but seems like its back firing.

can you confirm if you have the auto group plugin installed? This is causing many issues with lots of our plugins now. Might wanna look at that one too.

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

I can easily disable the auto scan or be more mindful of other tasks that are running. It’s probably a good practice now for us 3rd Party devs to get into. which is let the user just use a scheduled task to run the plugins. Or we monitor other tasks running, and sleep our task until everything else has completed.

we are just trying to help the users but seems like its back firing.

can you confirm if you have the auto group plugin installed? This is causing many issues with lots of our plugins now. Might wanna look at that one too.

yes i have auto movie grouping installed - unfortunately that one is essential as my 4k movies need to be stored separately from eveything else and its too much work to manually group.

as a result i've had to uninstall most of the chef/cheese plugins from my stable server to stop it locking up. i plan to try and work through all of them on a separate install though

Cheesegeezer
24 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

yes i have auto movie grouping installed - unfortunately that one is essential as my 4k movies need to be stored separately from eveything else and its too much work to manually group.

as a result i've had to uninstall most of the chef/cheese plugins from my stable server to stop it locking up. i plan to try and work through all of them on a separate install though

no worries, so the one plugin that doesn't conform to Emby plugin standards and terms and conditions and the one plugin that hasn't been updated since 4.6.x is the one we all have to work around

• Haha 1