Allow separate home screen settings on each device

crusher11

crusher11

Mobile and Theater have the side menu, so I've removed the My Media section from my home screen as it's redundant. But this carries over to ATV and the Android app on my Shield, which don't have the side menu and thus makes most of my media inaccessible. 

• Like 3

I don't think your request is the right way to handle the actual problem  you are having and would just overly complicate things.  Instead, we need alternate access to "My Media" on all devices.

MBSki
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

I don't think your request is the right way to handle the actual problem  you are having and would just overly complicate things.  Instead, we need alternate access to "My Media" on all devices.

Why can't every client have the side menu?

14 hours ago, MBSki said:

Why can't every client have the side menu?

I don't believe we ever said they can't.  We just aren't instant.

MBSki
1 minute ago, ebr said:

I don't believe we ever said they can't.  We just aren't instant.

Then I don't know why you have an issue with @crusher11's request. What's the issue? I believe the request was to add the side menu on every client. Your response was that we need alternate access to My Media on all devices. 1) If there's a side bar on 1 client, it should be on all the clients. 2) the side bar already exists, so why is there a need to find ANOTHER alternate method to access My Media? 

15 minutes ago, MBSki said:

I believe the request was to add the side menu on every client

That isn't what the title of this request says.  It is requesting separate settings for each app/device.  I don't believe that is a good idea and won't be needed once we have the solution to his actual problem which is an inability to access his libraries on some devices now.

• Agree 1

MBSki
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

That isn't what the title of this request says.  It is requesting separate settings for each app/device.  I don't believe that is a good idea and won't be needed once we have the solution to his actual problem which is an inability to access his libraries on some devices now.

Understand, but look at the first thread, "Mobile and Theater have the side menu, so I've removed the My Media section from my home screen as it's redundant. But this carries over to ATV and the Android app on my Shield, which don't have the side menu and thus makes most of my media inaccessible."

To me the first thread indicates a request to ADD the side menu to all client apps.

I could be interpreting it wrong though. I can see how client specific home screen settings would solve the problem too. @crusher11 can you clarify?

@ebr What exactly are you proposing as a solution though rather than having the side menu on all apps? 

59 minutes ago, MBSki said:

Understand, but look at the first thread, "Mobile and Theater have the side menu, so I've removed the My Media section from my home screen as it's redundant. But this carries over to ATV and the Android app on my Shield, which don't have the side menu and thus makes most of my media inaccessible."

To me the first thread indicates a request to ADD the side menu to all client apps.

I could be interpreting it wrong though. I can see how client specific home screen settings would solve the problem too. @crusher11 can you clarify?

@ebr What exactly are you proposing as a solution though rather than having the side menu on all apps? 

The title is pretty specific: "Allow separate home screen settings on each device"

• Like 1

FrostByte

Yep, you have to make turning off My Media on the home screen not be a global setting first.   Not all clients will have the side menu right away, and you may not want it on all clients anyways.  

MBSki

Sorry if I misunderstood. The post seemed to indicate that it could be solved by adding the side menu on all clients too.

I still don't know what other solution ebr has in mind.

KNSsoftware

i think it is a fair enough feature request for different devices to have UI behave differently.  There are reasons why mobile apps don't present their UI the same way as desktop versions.  This forum is about letting us express what matters, and voting on it,  not having an individual from Emby dictate their ideology.

crusher11

The side menu on the TV apps would solve my problem, yes.

Either way, constantly toggling things is getting on my nerves. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Yep, you have to make turning off My Media on the home screen not be a global setting first

No, you just need to not remove that row if you still use apps that have no other way of accessing it yet.  You could always move it to the last row if you wish.  The side menu and "My Media" row are not mutually exclusive.  You don't have to remove that row even if you want the side menu.