Ruku App Seriously Needs Updating, This Is Annoying

Film Playlist

Film Playlist

I am painstakingly remapping most of the channels. Apparently, the EPG resources received from my provider didn't have enough information to work properly. Now that things are coming along well, there are two things that must be fixed with the Roku version of Emby. There is a serious bug where when I scroll down the guide, I can't immediately access the menu by pushing  the left arrow on my remote. I'm forced to completely exit out of the app and go back in. This is unacceptable to have this bug exist for so long.

Another problem I found that when I'm finished watching a channel, and I click back, the guide doesn't populate. I get a blank screen and navigate between menus, then come back to guide before they repopulate. Anybody who actually uses the Ruku version of this app should understand what I'm talking about.

Second issue is, why on earth did you  not able the ability for us to use voice search? I should not have to type out every single letter when searching for a show or movie!! That is also not only unacceptable, but it's also primitive!! I felt like I was typing on my old flip phone. Pleas work on that!!

Please also observe the second screenshot below

20221016_111747.thumb.jpg.aa28d30a3f99fc1dfbfb069edf289553.jpg

When we're remapping channels, PLEASE, PLEASE! Allow for predictive text!! Depending on the source EPG we use we are forced to manually search and read everything on the list, because they are not all always in order. It's bad enough we have to do this manually, at least make it easier for us. I don't understand things like these that can make a user's life so much easier are not enabled! I don't mean to complain, but this is ridiculous! It's a lot of work man!!!!

text.png.bbd3e183245182c6345328658df2347d.png

all4dom

I have the same issue when backing put of the guide but how's about you just start watching something & after about a half hour it just returns back to the home screen. The roku app is more then buggy.

Film Playlist
10 hours ago, all4dom said:

I have the same issue when backing put of the guide but how's about you just start watching something & after about a half hour it just returns back to the home screen. The roku app is more then buggy.

Giving the staff the benefit of the doubt, I am aware of how difficult it is to write programs for so many different platforms. I have the latest Roku stick, and was contemplating getting the more expensive model. If I have issues on the Roku stick, I know I will most likely be dealing with the same problems. But, not having voice search really infuriated me. I really hope that the staff don't procrastinate on that! This is not the 1980s 1990s. I hope that being a life-time user means something here. @Luke

Edited by Film Playlist

Gilgamesh_48

I wonder what the difference is between my usage of Rokus and some other people's usage.
I have absolutely no serious problems playing any content or browsing my libraries on my Rokus.

I noticed that there is some reports of the "guide" disappearing and that is a problem but it is very easy to restore the guide and Emby is well aware of the problem and may fix it soon.

When the beta moves into release a lot of the problems discussed here will go away.

I should also point out that having an "Emby Premier subscription" does not entitle anyone to "extra" or "better" support from Emby. The subscription just serves to enable some features that are not available without a Premier subscription. It is not uncommon for people using Emby or Plex to believe that their subscription allows there to be "extra" or "better" support but that is not true at all.

For me, of all the client apps the Roku app is the best and most stable by far. But I will admit that impressing me with an Android app is VERY hard. I do not like Android at all but I do use it as there are some things it is capable of that cannot be accomplished in other systems.

My advice for people having trouble with the Roku app is to closely examine the whole of their setup as most "bugs" are not in the app but somewhere else in the setup. There are little mostly cosmetic issues with the Roku app and those are being addressed and when a bug does appear it gets quashed quite quickly. But "regular" users (those that are using the release app on the Roku) must be patient. It takes time to confirm that a bug exists, find it, fix it, test the fix in the beta app, assure that the "fix" does not break something else and then move the beta to release. Also it is not uncommon for the developers to uncover something else during the process and then even have to redo the entire fix process.

Again the Roku Emby app is not perfect but it is very functional and it is in continuous development. That means that there is always a chance that the development process introduces new bugs.

The current beta may move to release pretty soon and that will address many of the problems listed in this thread. But, until it passes final testing, the beta could get"delayed." Just be patient and the problems will get fixed. Hopefully that is not "fixed" like taking a dog to the vet to get him "fixed."

Film Playlist
2 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I wonder what the difference is between my usage of Rokus and some other people's usage.
I have absolutely no serious problems playing any content or browsing my libraries on my Rokus.

I noticed that there is some reports of the "guide" disappearing and that is a problem but it is very easy to restore the guide and Emby is well aware of the problem and may fix it soon.

When the beta moves into release a lot of the problems discussed here will go away.

I should also point out that having an "Emby Premier subscription" does not entitle anyone to "extra" or "better" support from Emby. The subscription just serves to enable some features that are not available without a Premier subscription. It is not uncommon for people using Emby or Plex to believe that their subscription allows there to be "extra" or "better" support but that is not true at all.

For me, of all the client apps the Roku app is the best and most stable by far. But I will admit that impressing me with an Android app is VERY hard. I do not like Android at all but I do use it as there are some things it is capable of that cannot be accomplished in other systems.

My advice for people having trouble with the Roku app is to closely examine the whole of their setup as most "bugs" are not in the app but somewhere else in the setup. There are little mostly cosmetic issues with the Roku app and those are being addressed and when a bug does appear it gets quashed quite quickly. But "regular" users (those that are using the release app on the Roku) must be patient. It takes time to confirm that a bug exists, find it, fix it, test the fix in the beta app, assure that the "fix" does not break something else and then move the beta to release. Also it is not uncommon for the developers to uncover something else during the process and then even have to redo the entire fix process.

Again the Roku Emby app is not perfect but it is very functional and it is in continuous development. That means that there is always a chance that the development process introduces new bugs.

The current beta may move to release pretty soon and that will address many of the problems listed in this thread. But, until it passes final testing, the beta could get"delayed." Just be patient and the problems will get fixed. Hopefully that is not "fixed" like taking a dog to the vet to get him "fixed."

First of all, it's not about being "entitled," but not having to wait indefinitely for features that should have been in place long ago. Desiring these features is not "entitlement," but more about being current with how other applications function, functions that make Emby primitive and appear out dated. The only reason why I chose to get lifetime was because out of all of Emby's competitors, Emby appears to handle IPTV better. More likely because they don't have partnerships with other networks.

In terms of "apps," PLEX is the most onpoint Roku app. Unfortunately, because they discontinued plugins, it's encredibly difficult to get a proper third party IPTV app to work with PLEX. I'm sure it's also about the relationships they have with other studios that that make it that much more frustrating. So while you may think I'm just bitching, I'm not, these are legitimate complaints, which I have a right to bring to light.

Just be cause you don't like to read complaints, doesn't mean a user doesn't know what they're doing, or immediately assume it's user error. I know a problem when I see one. It's been too long I've been using Emby, and I'm familiar on how things should work. I don't have these issues with no other app but Emby.

Edited by Film Playlist

Gilgamesh_48

I hope that being a life-time user means something here.

6 minutes ago, Film Playlist said:

First of all, it's not about being "entitled," but not having to wait indefinitely for features that should have been in place long ago. Desiring these features is not "entitlement," but more about being current with how other applications function, functions that make Emby primitive and appear out dated. The only reason why I chose to get lifetime was because out of all of Emby's competitors, Emby appears to handle IPTV better. More likely because they don't have partnerships with other networks.

In terms of "apps," PLEX is the most onpoint Roku app. Unfortunately, because they discontinued plugins, it's encredibly difficult to get a proper third party IPTV app to work with PLEX. I'm sure it's also about the relationships they have with other studios that that make it that much more frustrating. So while you may think I'm just bitching, I'm not, these are legitimate complaints, which I have a right to bring to light.

Well I find the Plex app to be almost unusable as it is virtually nothing more now than a way to push users to use content that Plex gets.
I also wonder if IPTV support is even needed. Emby supports M3U tuners which mostly does what an IPTV app does. I use an MU3 tuner and it works nearly perfectly for me.
I also find that navigation in the Roku app and its stability to be among the best there is on the Roku. Roku has made programming for their platform quite difficult and the fact that the stability of Emby on the Roku quite good says a LOT for the quality of the programmers/developers that are working on the Roku app. I do not find any "flaw" at all that would make me say  that the "Roku App Seriously Needs Updating" in fact it is working so well that I think  Emby needs to be VERY careful in any future updates to it. There are some areas to improve and there is even a few places where important features, like the alpha picker, are not even available.

As far as entitlement goes you said, "I hope that being a life-time user means something here." That may not be entitled but it really sounds like you are expecting that to give you some extra "power" with Emby, it does not do that at all. It gives is access to a few features and that is all it does.

Finally I will say that just because you need, or think you need, some feature(s) does not mean that said feature is wanted/needed by others or that others would even support the changes necessary to implement such feature.
There is also the "time" factor. It could be that the developers simply do not have the time to add features that are only needed by very few. If the demand is low then the priority is also low. I know about this from a personal standpoint. I have asked for, in the past, a number of feature and where it was possible almost all of them have been implemented.

Remember Emby is kind of like God. "Emby answers all prayers but, sometimes the answer is "No."

I find it best to accept the app for what it is and ask, politely, from time to time for some improvement and then, even if Emby decides to implement it, it often takes months for that feature to appear.

You have asked for changes and I think some of them have potential to be useful but it will take time. You posted this thread yesterday and even at its best, Emby just has not had the time to check out all you posed.
I have no idea if Emby will implement any, or all, of your requests but, as long as they do not break the app or make it harder to use I see little reason, if the time is available,why Emby would not implement at least part of what you asked for.

all4dom

I have been having roku issues for a while now. Happened after a server update, but i.dont remember which one. My issues include the guide, which i mentioned above, buffering & now my daughters tcl roku tv buffers, which that never happened before, was only on my roku ultra. I can't remember the other one & the guide size changed, which I think makes it harder to read & actually uglier. They say it was requested by many people but I know from past readings that not every FR that is a top vote getter gets changed. I wish at least with the guide size, maybe there could be some type of row selection to choose. I.also use channels dvr & the right amount of rows & description at top. 

I know roku is a pain to develope for, it's been mentioned a ton of times but for me I like my roku because of thier U.I & I need it for my spectrum app, which is only available for roku & apple tv & the emby apple tv is.still not on par with android & fire tv.  Bee. With emby a long time, since MB days & am.not trying to be negative so don't take it tat way please.

• Like 1

Film Playlist
On 10/17/2022 at 10:32 PM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I hope that being a life-time user means something here.

Well I find the Plex app to be almost unusable as it is virtually nothing more now than a way to push users to use content that Plex gets.
I also wonder if IPTV support is even needed. Emby supports M3U tuners which mostly does what an IPTV app does. I use an MU3 tuner and it works nearly perfectly for me.
I also find that navigation in the Roku app and its stability to be among the best there is on the Roku. Roku has made programming for their platform quite difficult and the fact that the stability of Emby on the Roku quite good says a LOT for the quality of the programmers/developers that are working on the Roku app. I do not find any "flaw" at all that would make me say  that the "Roku App Seriously Needs Updating" in fact it is working so well that I think  Emby needs to be VERY careful in any future updates to it. There are some areas to improve and there is even a few places where important features, like the alpha picker, are not even available.

As far as entitlement goes you said, "I hope that being a life-time user means something here." That may not be entitled but it really sounds like you are expecting that to give you some extra "power" with Emby, it does not do that at all. It gives is access to a few features and that is all it does.

Finally I will say that just because you need, or think you need, some feature(s) does not mean that said feature is wanted/needed by others or that others would even support the changes necessary to implement such feature.
There is also the "time" factor. It could be that the developers simply do not have the time to add features that are only needed by very few. If the demand is low then the priority is also low. I know about this from a personal standpoint. I have asked for, in the past, a number of feature and where it was possible almost all of them have been implemented.

Remember Emby is kind of like God. "Emby answers all prayers but, sometimes the answer is "No."

I find it best to accept the app for what it is and ask, politely, from time to time for some improvement and then, even if Emby decides to implement it, it often takes months for that feature to appear.

You have asked for changes and I think some of them have potential to be useful but it will take time. You posted this thread yesterday and even at its best, Emby just has not had the time to check out all you posed.
I have no idea if Emby will implement any, or all, of your requests but, as long as they do not break the app or make it harder to use I see little reason, if the time is available,why Emby would not implement at least part of what you asked for.

You are pretty wordy for just a member. Listen, I said what I said, and I say what I mean. This over sensitivity is really ridiculous. I assume there are no babies here, you guys are full blown adults, and understand context. The problems that I pointed out aren't just tiny bugs that we can live with. This are issues that impact our experience as users in a major way. Maybe YOU haven't explored all the features and really don't have any idea of what I'm talking about? Therefor you just can't relate. PLEX does functions much better in areas where Emby fails. The only thing that PLEX really fails at is the use of IPTV.

However, I will say this, in terms of getting responses from support, Emby excels one million percent better than PLEX. Having said that, i still have the right to voice my frustrations with a product I know can be better.

Edited by Film Playlist

Film Playlist

Hi @Luke

I didn't think about it at the time, I'm not sure if there are any links to some of the issues I've had, but I should mention that I also have Emby installed on my Linux seedbox, using Ubuntu 20.04. I don't think there's any correlation, but just in case, I thought i'd mention it.

• Thanks 1