Why didn't this record

SteveFintel

SteveFintel

I record two programs every night. They occur at the same time. Most nights both recordings occur without incident. Occasionally, one or the other program will fail to record even though the schedule indicates they should be recording. During the recording, the guide had the flag indicating the recording was occurring but the status screen only showed one active recording. I captured last night's log around the time the recordings started and can't see anything that indicates why one failed. The server is running in a TrueNAS jail and all other functionality seems to be working normally.

2022-10-14 Emby server log extract.txt

SteveFintel

I did check the recording directory. Both programs are set to keep only 1 recording (it's a daily program). When this occurs, Emby server correctly deletes the previous day's content leaving the directory empty.

SteveFintel

It happened again last night. This time both programs scheduled to record at 10:00PM (KVUE News Nightbeat at 2202-10-25 22:00 and KXAN News at 10:00 PM 2202-10-25 22:00) did not record. As before, the folders for both recordings only had poster.jpg and tvshow.nfo in them. The series settings are set for Keep up to 1 recording. I'm getting concerned about reliability of Emby's record logic. Log attached.

embyserver-63802252800.txt

Edited by SteveFintel

SteveFintel

Another repeat last night. I noticed it just after the recording fired. The UI indicated that both recordings were in progress, but nothing was being recorded. I 'stopped' one of the recordings and manually kicked it off from the guide screen. @Luke I would appreciate a little help with this bug.

embyserver-63802425600.txt

On 10/27/2022 at 9:41 AM, SteveFintel said:

Another repeat last night. I noticed it just after the recording fired. The UI indicated that both recordings were in progress, but nothing was being recorded. I 'stopped' one of the recordings and manually kicked it off from the guide screen. @Luke I would appreciate a little help with this bug.

embyserver-63802425600.txt 24.16 MB · 0 downloads

Hi @SteveFintel please try removing these plugins:

2022-10-24 16:35:25.371 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications, Version=3.1.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/db/emby-server/plugins/MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.dll
2022-10-24 16:35:25.371 Info App: Loading XmlMetadata, Version=3.4.9.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/db/emby-server/plugins/XmlMetadata.dll
2022-10-24 16:35:25.371 Info App: Loading playback_reporting, Version=1.10.0.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/db/emby-server/plugins/playback_reporting.dll
2022-10-24 16:35:25.371 Info App: Loading ChapterApi, Version=1.3.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/db/emby-server/plugins/ChapterApi.dll
2022-10-24 16:35:25.371 Info App: Loading Emby.MediaInfo, Version=1.0.1.10, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/db/emby-server/plugins/Emby.MediaInfo.dll

Then restart the server and let us know how that compares. Thanks.

SteveFintel

OK... All 5 are uninstalled. Because this problem didn't seem to follow any pattern I can discern, It will be hard to tell if removing this plugins fixed the problem. Is there some reason you zeroed in on these five?

SteveFintel

I did. It's been either two or three record cycles that worked correctly. I'm not ready to declare victory yet, but so far so good...

• Thanks 1

SteveFintel

It happened again last night. The recording was definitely scheduled to fire. During the scheduled recording, ET was reporting that the recording was occurring (progress bar red in the On Now section), but the folder is empty. Log attached. The program was KXAN News at 10PM.

embyserver-63803203200.txt

SteveFintel

After removing the 5 community contributed plugins, I continue to have recording failures. I have been uploading logs and identifying the failed recordings. @Luke do I need to do something else?

SteveFintel

It happened again tonight. Two programs that were scheduled to record at the same time did not record. Sometimes one will fail and the other will work, sometimes that's flipped. Tonight, both failed. The recording folders for each program are empty (both programs are set up to only keep one recording). When I check the webui, the red flags are on indicating Emby Server thinks it's recording the program. If I stop the 'recording' and then click record, the recording start at that point and save to disk. Why does this keep happening?

Log file attached. Programs that failed are KXAN News at 10PM and KVUE News Nightbeat.

embyserver.txt

both programs are set up to only keep one recording

Hi, I believe this is actually the issue. I am looking into it, but as a workaround can you try temporarily disabling that?

It appears the recording is starting out just fine, but then it's getting deleted by that option (when it shouldn't be). Thanks.

SteveFintel

I’ll try that, but I have other scheduled recordings set up the same way with no issue. Just these two at 10:00 PM are problematic. What do you recommend the value that 'keep' be set to?

Edited by SteveFintel

The way you have it set is fine. It looks like there's an issue we'll need to resolve, so removing the limit temporarily until we get a new server release out is the best way. Or at least raising it.

SteveFintel

I noticed this line in 4.8.0.19-beta:

Fix live tv recordings being stopped in rare cases when the limit to keep is set to 1

Do you want me to try it out?

1 hour ago, SteveFintel said:

I noticed this line in 4.8.0.19-beta:

Do you want me to try it out?

Yes that is the fix the was made for this. Although it is the initial change at least and it will be backported to a 4.7 maintenance release.