Emby doesn't pick the correct version for the next episode

HeavensFall

HeavensFall

So, I have both the SDR and Dolby Vision version of the same show. But I have noticed that if I play an episode that is in DV format, then when it is over emby will automatically play the SDR version of the next episode. I have to manually switch to the DV version after each episode finishes. I wonder if I'm organizing these media files the wrong way.

Screenshot 2022-10-15 210356.png

Hi, what you choose on one episode will not affect another. With multi version emby apps will automatically choose the most efficient version to play. Can the dv version direct play without server transcoding? If it can't then that might be why the sd version is getting picked.

HeavensFall
45 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what you choose on one episode will not affect another. With multi version emby apps will automatically choose the most efficient version to play. Can the dv version direct play without server transcoding? If it can't then that might be why the sd version is getting picked.

Yes, these DV videos can be direct played on my TV without any problems. I think it would be great if emby has the functionality to remember the version I pick and automatically select the same version for next episode.

1 hour ago, HeavensFall said:

Yes, these DV videos can be direct played on my TV without any problems. I think it would be great if emby has the functionality to remember the version I pick and automatically select the same version for next episode.

But maybe they're not currently direct playing based on settings. That could be why the SDR version is getting picked.

HeavensFall
On 10/16/2022 at 3:02 AM, Luke said:

But maybe they're not currently direct playing based on settings. That could be why the SDR version is getting picked.

I double-checked the media info of the two versions. The audio streams of both versions are in Dolby Digital Plus format and are being software decoded. However, both audio streams have the same md5 checksum. And other than the audio stream, everything else is being direct played. In my opinion, Emby should have chosen the DV version in this case since none of the audio streams can be direct played, and the device supports Dolby Vision playback.

HeavensFall
12 hours ago, Luke said:

What is the quality setting set to in the app?

The only quality setting I can find is the max bitrate setting. It is set to auto.