Limiting quality settings for clients

nightknight

nightknight

How can i tell if emby transcoding is being limited by the gpu driver / does each client transcode count? does that mean the second transcode would be all on the cpu?

Edited by nightknight

7 hours ago, nightknight said:

How can i tell if emby transcoding is being limited by the gpu driver / does each client transcode count? does that mean the second transcode would be all on the cpu?

Hi have you explored the stats feature in the video player during playback?

• Like 1

nightknight

I have been having alot of issues with direct play remotely/lan. On both the lan and the remote the direct play takes a while to load. from remote sometimes more than 45 seconds to load an episode. ive confirmed its not a bandwidth issue. if a video starts in transcode the stream works perfect. not sure what to do. have any ideas? 

the direct play stream was only 1mbps. i dont understand why the delay. It not all direct play streams either. some work fine

Edited by nightknight

4 hours ago, nightknight said:

I have been having alot of issues with direct play remotely/lan. On both the lan and the remote the direct play takes a while to load. from remote sometimes more than 45 seconds to load an episode. ive confirmed its not a bandwidth issue. if a video starts in transcode the stream works perfect. not sure what to do. have any ideas? 

the direct play stream was only 1mbps. i dont understand why the delay. It not all direct play streams either. some work fine

How have you confirmed it's not a bandwidth issue? There could be isp throttling occurring on either side of the connection.

nightknight

nope no throttles.i can get my crappy almost 40mbps upload speed between my vpn server "tcp" and the client "depending on encryption strength". The problem persists regardless of 600mb movie/9 gb movie.

The largest movie in my library "9gb" loads without problems. But a lot of 600mb movies don't load quick they take forever to start.

Edited by nightknight

30 minutes ago, nightknight said:

nope no throttles.

How did you confirm this? A lot of ISP's are doing this now.

8 minutes ago, nightknight said:

The internet

OK that's not a very detailed answer, but unless the test was on the same port that you connect to the server with, then the results are not necessarily applicable. Was it? I'm guessing not.

nightknight

Yea i connect to the server through an encrypted tunnel. The only port is my vpn server. And its not throttled. I use it every day for file transfers.

nightknight

I tried this from 4 different android phones. 2 were on different sides of the planet. The direct play stream is only 1mbps and it still takes forever to load. Other wise I have no problem playing a 6mbps direct play stream from 4 phones at a time. Other than the load time for some videos. transcodig at those bitrates/above have no issue starting. 

Edited by nightknight

1 hour ago, nightknight said:

The direct play stream is only 1mbps and it still takes forever to load. Other wise I have no problem playing a 6mbps direct play stream from 4 phones at a time. Other than the load time for some videos

What is different or unique about the items with this issue?  This sounds to me like the player is having to bring the whole file down before it can start playback so it could be some sort of structure issue with the file itself.

nightknight

my files are on local hdds. Most of them downloaded with yt dlp. I just cant explain why some videos do/dont have load issues. What kind of struture problems can cause this? 

In what format/container are the files?  If you run mediainfo on one that works and one that doesn't, what is different?

nightknight

I"ll try this. But stupid question, how do I run mediainfo? Not sure what mediainfo is

Edited by nightknight

On 10/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, nightknight said:

But stupid question, how do I run mediainfo? Not sure what mediainfo is

It is a program that will show you the internals of the file.  Google it...

Tenguman
On 10/21/2022 at 4:03 AM, nightknight said:

lowing resolution is the first step for transcoding

¿Do you observe how change the resolution in "Statistic for nerds"?