Limiting quality settings for clients

nightknight

nightknight
17 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@nightknight Been awhile since doing ciders but wouldn't it be /24 for that specific 10.0.0.0 subnet?

I think /8 is a valid prefix for the class of subnet. im not a routing expert tho. I cant seem to reach the remote port 8096 from any devices not even locally on the server. i tried 127.0.0.1:8096 and from the vpn clients. 

I can only reach port 80 on the local side. it shows my express vpn adapters ip address as my wan address. is it listing on the wrong network interface?

My express vpn changes my default gateway on the server. its different from the openvpn server interface for client.

EDIT: i forgot to mention idk if you saw in the picture. i changed the local port to 80 and the wan port left at 8096

Edited by nightknight

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, nightknight said:

I think /8 is a valid prefix for the class of subnet. im not a routing expert tho.

The server by default is 10.0.0.0/8 per the note and would cover your network and the VPN network, I believe.

Changes here can potentially cause problems if misconfigured and only recovery is manually editing the system.xml with Emby shutdown if you get locked out.

19 minutes ago, nightknight said:

EDIT: i forgot to mention idk if you saw in the picture. i changed the local port to 80 and the wan port left at 8096

Yes that would explain why 127.0.0.1:8096 would fail as Emby is not on that port locally.

But it should be a matter of getting your LAN network limited here.

• Like 1

nightknight

Okay that might make sense. so basically 10.0.0.0/8 covers all address 10.0.0.0- 10.255.255.254? this would make alot of sense. You think this is the case or am i miss understanding somthing?

EDIT

Edited by nightknight

Happy2Play

@nightknight Correct as 10.0.0.0/24 would be limited to 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.255 assuming that is you LAN network.

But remember Remote access will be required for all other connections.

• Thanks 1

nightknight

Thanks!. Now the problem is reaching the wan port. do the clients need to connect through the wan port to be handled as remote?

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, nightknight said:

Thanks!. Now the problem is reaching the wan port. do the clients need to connect through the wan port to be handled as remote?

Correct as they would no longer be local.  Does your LAN/WAN access look correct on dashboard?

Edited by Happy2Play

nightknight

without my express vpn connected, it shows my isp address for WAN. But i need my vpn clients to reach the remote port.

Edited by nightknight

nightknight

i think it seems to be following the bandwidth limit set in user settings even though im connecting through the lan port. The whole time i guess the main issue was the networking error. Thanks lol who knows when i would have figured that out. so now it appears the stream will run smooth even if a quality setting is selected thats higer than the bandwidth limit. so the stream shouldnt freeze anymore if a quality setting way higher than bandwidth limit is selected.

nightknight

I dont show any ports listening for 8096 on the emby server computer. thats okay with me because it still seem to wrok right on the local port. but i dont see it listed as a listening port. 

TCP    0.0.0.0:21             DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:80             DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:82             DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:135            DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:443            DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:445            DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:902            DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:912            DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:9090           DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:3389           DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:5040           DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:5357           DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:7680           DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:49664          DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:49665          DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:49666          DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:49667          DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:49669          DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:49700          DESKTOP-7VB1M04:0      LISTENING

Just thought id share this

16 hours ago, nightknight said:

i think it seems to be following the bandwidth limit set in user settings even though im connecting through the lan port. The whole time i guess the main issue was the networking error. Thanks lol who knows when i would have figured that out. so now it appears the stream will run smooth even if a quality setting is selected thats higer than the bandwidth limit. so the stream shouldnt freeze anymore if a quality setting way higher than bandwidth limit is selected.

The user option will override the server network option, so that part of it is normal.

Does your server dashboard display the correct local LAN and remote addresses? Until you get the server configured correctly for your network environment, you're going to have a hard time using any options that depend on the server's ability to distinguish remote vs LAN connections.

nightknight

The emby server reports the correct wan address. But I just dont see any services listening on the remote port. Only the local port. 

I dont want to connect to emby through my wan address directly anyways. I only want to connect via VPN or local which both seem to work. But I thought the port would show up as listening

But I just dont see any services listening on the remote port

Because there is no listening on your remote port by Emby Server. That happens at your router level, which then forwards to Emby on the local port via router port forwarding.

nightknight

Okay i have 1 more question. In the library settings theres an option "download images in advaned" how exatcly does this work. does this make the client download library images and metadata in advaced so it dont have to load while scrolling down the list of movies? did i missunderstand its function? is there a way to cache the movie/library list on the clients device? how loarge would this cahce be for 2k movies?

justinrh
3 hours ago, Luke said:

The user option will override the server network option, so that part of it is normal.

@Luke Can you explain the details here?  It sounds like you are contradicting ebr.  Did I get confused along the way?

1 hour ago, nightknight said:

Okay i have 1 more question. In the library settings theres an option "download images in advaned" how exatcly does this work. does this make the client download library images and metadata in advaced so it dont have to load while scrolling down the list of movies? did i missunderstand its function? is there a way to cache the movie/library list on the clients device? how loarge would this cahce be for 2k movies?

It just controls when the download happens, either ahead of time during the library scan, or not until it is first needed. It still happens via the server first and has no impact on where it gets saved.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, justinrh said:

@Luke Can you explain the details here?  It sounds like you are contradicting ebr.  Did I get confused along the way?

No, both of our statements are correct. There are two server options, so that's what I'm referring to.

12 hours ago, Luke said:

No, both of our statements are correct. There are two server options, so that's what I'm referring to.

It is also important to understand that the settings are upper limits so, if the user selects a lower quality than the server setting, that will be enforced.

nightknight
6 hours ago, ebr said:

It is also important to understand that the settings are upper limits so, if the user selects a lower quality than the server setting, that will be enforced.

I had an issue lastnight with streaming a mp4 that was about 42 MIN & 350MB. On my lan the video would take about 5 seconds to start but on the WAN/remote "limited to 3mbps" it took the video about a minute to start. from remote client i would click the video but it would sit at a black screen with no timeline for about 20 seconds until the stream would automatically stop/pause with no timeline or image/audio. at that point if i press play again it would start streaming after a few more seconds. i notice during this time the stream is trying direct play @ 1mbps. If i change the quailty 1mbps or below OR auto the stream would work flawlessly. this issues only seemed to hapen with direct play. When the issue was happening i could tell from my firewall that emby and the client were talking intermittently at 3mbps while the video was blank. This was only happening to new mp4s added. the mp4 was aquired with yt dlp. i never had an issue like this before.

from emby these are the stats on the video,

Title
720p H264
Codec
H264
Codec Tag
avc1
Main
Level
Resolution
1280x720
Aspect Ratio
16:9
Interlaced
No
Framerate
Bitrate
1 mbps
Bit Depth
8 bit
Pixel Format
yuv420p
Reference Frames

it seemed like transcoding method worked perfect regardless. only the direct play attemp had issues?

nightknight

I also found out those videos dont have audio lol. 

Besdes that. I have a remote client connected that is suppose to be limited at 3mbps in their profile. stream amount is Unlimited. The client is streaming 2 videos 1 is 2mbps the other is 3mbps making the bandwidth 5mbps. 

Edited by nightknight

17 minutes ago, nightknight said:

I also found out those videos dont have audio lol. 

Besdes that. I have a remote client connected that is suppose to be limited at 3mbps in their profile. stream amount is Unlimited. The client is streaming 2 videos 1 is 2mbps the other is 3mbps making the bandwidth 5mbps. 

Currently it is a per-stream limit and not a total limit.

• Like 1

nightknight

that makes sense because the throttle still is working on signle streams. I have another question LOL. right now im manually renaming a bijillion episodes in numerical order. however the file names besides the beside number are exact as in the season in emby. can emby find these files just by name, or o they have to be labled in numerical order?

Edited by nightknight

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, nightknight said:

that makes sense because the throttle still is working on signle streams. I have another question LOL. right now im manually renaming a bijillion episodes in numerical order. however the file names besides the beside number are exact as in the season in emby. can emby find these files just by name, or o they have to be labled in numerical order?

Emby currently does not use episode name at all they require numerical order to get from providers.

• Like 1

nightknight

it only sucks when you have to rename a million episodes lol. No big deal though, might be a cool experimental feature you could enable per series. i have 3 grahics cards 1080ti,2080ti,2070 in the same machine that runs emby. right this second i have them sitting on top of the computer. i normally use them for decoding ipcameras to take some load off my cpu. Emby supports hardware accelerated decoding  and it seems to work beautifully from what i can tell.  How does emby choose which device it uses for hardware acceleration?

I think nvidia has some sort of limiter for encoding de-coding? please correct me about that i think there is a driver hack that will allow more streams at once. Propblem is i dont really know how it works. i have a program called Blueiris and ive moved some cameras decoding onto the graphics card. But can emby and the other application share the graphics card? in blueiris i can select which graphics card to use. In Emby there are alot more options that im not familiar with. my server computer is usually under a good cpu load most times without emby 45%. i would like to make sure my transcoding settings are efficient. can emby use multiple grapics cards to do hardware acceleration?