Limiting quality settings for clients

nightknight

nightknight

Unless i missed it, i dont see a way to force max possible output to 720 10mbs for a client. If you throttle a client to 10mbps it will still let them choose 4k 200mbps etc. Is there a way to limit clients like this? i would like to be able to setup a client and allow them any resoloution up to 10mbps and not show the other streams. 

Edited by nightknight

9 hours ago, nightknight said:

If you throttle a client to 10mbps it will still let them choose 4k 200mbps etc

Hi.  Even though they can select a higher rate, it won't actually allow that to happen.

nightknight
Spoiler

Maybe in the future there could be a feature to enable/disable certain output settings per user. That way a user cant mistakenly select an incompatible stream. 

I'm really enjoying emby though. Its such and upgrade from smb and vlc lol

@hackthis02

Edited by nightknight
  • Thanks 1

nightknight
5 minutes ago, Tenguman said:

Manage Emby Server -> Users -> Edit -> Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps)

But the problem is. If i limit to 10mbs The client can still select a stream llike1080 60mbps and tge stream will lockup etc because it still tries 60mbs.

It would be nice if I didnt show any streams over the limited bitrate.

• Like 1

justinrh
4 hours ago, nightknight said:

client can still select a stream llike1080 60mbps and tge stream will lockup etc because it still tries 60mbs

According to @ebr above, this would be a bug.  You could send a log file and report it as a bug.

Edited by justinrh

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, nightknight said:
5 hours ago, Tenguman said:

Manage Emby Server -> Users -> Edit -> Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps)

But the problem is. If i limit to 10mbs The client can still select a stream llike1080 60mbps and tge stream will lockup etc because it still tries 60mbs.

Only way Internet streaming bitrate limit set on user can be ignored is if the connection is considered Local ie not remote.  The Internet streaming bitrate limit will override all client settings on a remote connection.

We would need specific examples to include server/ffmpeg logs for this not happening.

7 hours ago, nightknight said:

Hi, no it won't. No matter what the client selects, it will not exceed any maximum limits that you've set in the server.

As has been previously requested, can we please look at an example? Thanks.

RanmaCanada
9 hours ago, nightknight said:

I have several users who I've had to limit to 5mbit because their ISP throttles the ever loving hell out of anything higher.  I've had no issues with this, so you more than likely are having a bug.  I would suggest you do as Luke asks and send in some logs when this is happening so they can attempt to pinpoint what is going wrong on your end.

nightknight

Yes clients are handled as local to the server. What i mean is if i set a client to throttled at 10Mbps, the client can still see the option to pick 1080p 60Mbps. If the client picks the higher rate then the stream freezes because they are throttled to 10Mbps. Instead they shouldnt be shown an option to pick the higher rate even though it wont stream smoothly at the higher rate.

How/what logs should i need to post. does this sound like a bug still? Sorry i think i may have not been specific enough. when i said still tries 60Mbps. What i mean is the client i guess tries to pull the stream at 60Mbps but the server still throttles it to what i specifiy.  i just think the incompatible strems shouldnt even be shown for simplicity 

Edited by nightknight

Happy2Play

Correct there is no way to throttle a Local client beside client playback quality at the control of the user.  Only Remote playback can be throttled by the server. 

nightknight

But why show options to the user that are garunteed not to work? if the server is set to throttle them to 10mbps there shouldnt be any need to show a 60mbps stream as an option. its not breaking my functionalty but i just wanted to make a suggestion.

55 minutes ago, nightknight said:

But why show options to the user that are garunteed not to work?

Hi.  They are not guaranteed not to work - unless you've disabled transcoding on your server...

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, nightknight said:

But why show options to the user that are garunteed not to work? if the server is set to throttle them to 10mbps there shouldnt be any need to show a 60mbps stream as an option. its not breaking my functionalty but i just wanted to make a suggestion.

At the same time if the client is local why are you having a bitrate issue?  Why can''t you play 60Mbps media on your LAN on multiple devices?

But there are no limitation on bitrate on the server for any LAN connections only WAN connections.  On a LAN the client controls all playback quality.

• Agree 1

nightknight
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

At the same time if the client is local why are you having a bitrate issue?  Why can''t you play 60Mbps media on your LAN on multiple devices?

But there are no limitation on bitrate on the server for any LAN connections only WAN connections.  On a LAN the client controls all playback quality.

This could be a problem for certain vpn configurations. It would be nice if there was a user policy that can include more configuration settings.

Either way lan/wan or user/global based policies. I think there should be a way to "uncheck the streams from a list" that you don't want to serve to the client.

Or even the global scenario or limiting lan/wan to 10mbps. Then filter out streams above 10mbps for any uusers. There's no need to show a 60mbps stream to a user when the global policy says the max is 10mbps. Because the stream will be throttled and not work smoothly anyways.

I understand this would probably forces transcoding in alot of situations but that should proabbly be up to the person running the server to allow that kind of resource usage

Edited by nightknight

Happy2Play

If there is a server option client options are irrelevant, and user can set to whatever they like, and it is meaningless unless they go lower then server set limit.  But currently this only applies to WAN as I believe you are a first to ask for anything like this to apply to a user/client that is considered Local.

So there is no bug here but a Feature Request to put speed limits on ones LAN per user.

nightknight
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Feature Request to put speed limits on ones LAN per user.

yes and also possibly put restrictions/filter streams above that bitrate. they should not be visible. lol sorry if i was confusing you 

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, nightknight said:

yes and also possibly put restrictions/filter streams above that bitrate. they should not be visible. lol sorry if i was confusing you 

What you want to hide media is above your restriction from the user?  So if all my media is over 10Mbps the user sees nothing?

But why make your vpn users local as you can already control this making them Remote users.

nightknight
22 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What you want to hide media is above your restriction from the user?  So if all my media is over 10Mbps the user sees nothing?

But why make your vpn users local as you can already control this making them Remote users.

idk i think technically my subnet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 and my vpn subnet 10.24.1.1 255.255.255.0 are different but im pretty sure emby treats it as local 

Edited by nightknight

Happy2Play

Setting your LAN networks via Networks setting would correct remote user seen as local but you have to enable Remote access on your users.

image.png.8b9882c8dc99381023507916e8213ba8.png

This will limit all users to per user applied "Internet streaming bitrate limit" no matter their Client Playback Quality settings.

Note any subnet not applied here will be considered Remote.

• Like 2

nightknight

I tried specifying the lan network and local ipaddress fields but it dont seem to make a difference. the vpn subnet can still talk to the local port and the bandwidth restriction seems ignored. It would be nice if there were just individual user policys that can be apllied to lan/wan or both. If i forced the streams to be 1080 10mbps then most videos would probably need transcoded but that should be up to the server admin to allow that. 

Too bad i cant specify the remote network like the local 

Edited by nightknight

I would suggest getting the network settings right because you're going to see various quirks if the server can't accurately determine if a connection is remote or inside the lan.

What exactly did you try?

nightknight

Hmm. Considering the networks are different subnets maybe its a bug within emby. What determines how emby picks the wan/lan. I have 10 network connections on my server some are not connected 24/7. Emby chooses express vpn if its connected. Or it chooses my default ethernet.

There's no control over wan network nics to the user in emby. Wouldn't it be a bug that emby allows networks outside its local subnet to be considered local?

2022-10-17 03:52:48.113 Info App: Adding HttpListener prefix http://+:80/
2022-10-17 03:52:48.244 Info NetworkManager: Detecting local network addresses
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: networkInterface: Ethernet Ethernet, Speed: 1000000000, Description: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: GatewayAddresses: 10.0.0.1
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: UnicastAddresses: 10.0.0.89
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: networkInterface: Ethernet VMware Network Adapter VMnet1, Speed: 100000000, Description: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: GatewayAddresses:
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: UnicastAddresses: 192.168.226.1
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: networkInterface: Ethernet VMware Network Adapter VMnet8, Speed: 100000000, Description: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: UnicastAddresses: 192.168.153.1
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: networkInterface: 53 Local Area Connection, Speed: 100000000000, Description: ExpressVPN Wintun Driver
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: UnicastAddresses: 10.171.0.6
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: networkInterface: 53 OpenVPN Wintun, Speed: 100000000000, Description: Wintun Userspace Tunnel
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: UnicastAddresses: 10.24.1.1
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: networkInterface: Loopback Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1, Speed: 1073741824, Description: Software Loopback Interface 1
2022-10-17 03:52:48.245 Info NetworkManager: UnicastAddresses: ::1,127.0.0.1
2022-10-17 03:52:48.246 Info NetworkManager: Detected local ip addresses: 10.0.0.89, 192.168.226.1, 192.168.153.1, 10.171.0.6, 10.24.1.1, 127.0.0.1, ::1

The vpn 10.24.1.1 is considered local to emby but its a different subnet than 10.0.0.0?

Edited by nightknight

Happy2Play
On 10/16/2022 at 1:47 PM, nightknight said:

idk i think technically my subnet 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 and my vpn subnet 10.24.1.1 255.255.255.0 are different but im pretty sure emby treats it as local 

4 minutes ago, nightknight said:

Hmm. Considering the networks are different subnets maybe its a bug within emby. What determines how emby picks the wan/lan. I have 10 network connections on my server. Emby chooses express vpn if its connected. Or it chooses my default ethernet.

There's no control over wan network nics to the user in emby. Wouldn't it be a bug that emby allows networks outside its local subnet to be considered local?

If LAN networks are not configured all Private IP space is Local.  What did you apply to LAN Networks? 

nightknight

i specified my main local network. my local network 10.0.0.1 is gateway, address space is 10.0.0.2-254

image.thumb.png.448791af9b6cec6d9105ead7efe0a5c6.png

Edited by nightknight