opensubtitles API deprecation

Bazzu85

Happy2Play

Looks like we have a year to change over but would assume the same daily limits apply.

* 2023-12-31 end of life, API endpoint will be turned off

Bazzu85
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Looks like we have a year to change over but would assume the same daily limits apply.

* 2023-12-31 end of life, API endpoint will be turned off

yeah, 

but maybe you can start to work on it!

at the moment there's no development on old API so it's time to move forward! 

the important thing is not miss out the end date!

Edited by Bazzu85

• 1 month later...
kikinjo

For few weeks it is not posiblle to download subs from opensubtitles. i have a VIp account but for last few weeks it is always time outing. Is anyone with VIP account have same issue ?

No i dont use any vpn or anything, its direct connection to site.

log snip :

2022-11-28 11:00:58.577 Error HttpClient: Connection to https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc timed out
2022-11-28 11:00:58.581 Error SubtitleManager: Error downloading subtitles from Open Subtitles
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 4.8.0.19
        Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
        Operating system: Linux version 5.18.0-051800-generic (kernel@kathleen) (gcc (Ubuntu 11.3.0-3ubuntu1) 11.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38) #202205222030 SMP P
        Framework: .NET 6.0.8
        OS/Process: x64/x64
        Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
        Processor count: 24
        Data path: /var/lib/emby
        Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
        MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Connection to https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc timed out
         ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The request was canceled due to the configured HttpClient.Timeout of 20 seconds elapsing.
         ---> System.TimeoutException: A task was canceled.
         ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.
           at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCompletionSourceWithCancellation`1.WaitWithCancellationAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.GetHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithVersionDetectionAndRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at System.Net.Http.DiagnosticsHandler.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.<SendAsync>g__Core|83_0(HttpRequestMessage request, HttpCompletionOption completionOption, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts, CancellationToken originalCancellationToken)
           --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
           at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.HandleFailure(Exception e, Boolean telemetryStarted, HttpResponseMessage response, CancellationTokenSource cts, CancellationToken cancellationToken, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts)
           at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.<SendAsync>g__Core|83_0(HttpRequestMessage request, HttpCompletionOption completionOption, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts, CancellationToken originalCancellationToken)
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
           at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.SendRequestAsync(ReadOnlyMemory`1 request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.Login(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.Search(SubtitleSearchRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at Emby.Providers.Subtitles.SubtitleManager.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<<SearchSubtitles>b__3>d.MoveNext()
        Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
        TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
        InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The request was canceled due to the configured HttpClient.Timeout of 20 seconds elapsing.
        Source: System.Net.Http
        TargetSite: Void HandleFailure(System.Exception, Boolean, System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource)
           at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.HandleFailure(Exception e, Boolean telemetryStarted, HttpResponseMessage response, CancellationTokenSource cts, CancellationToken cancellationToken, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts)

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, kikinjo said:

Is anyone with VIP account have same issue ?

Running Windows server and no, haven't observed anything strange, standard set (Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian) regularly automatically downloaded (if available) on any new content, last time yesterday. 

Q-Droid

No issue here, it's been working for me.

You say a few weeks? Is the name resolving correctly for you?

nslookup vip-api.opensubtitles.org

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   vip-api.opensubtitles.org
Address: 172.64.131.37
Address: 172.64.130.37
Address: 2606:4700:e2::ac40:8325
Address: 2606:4700:e2::ac40:8225

What I've seen before are timeouts when the connections are trying IPv6 and you are not using that protocol for internet access but still have a dual IP stack with link local address. Calls  from Emby will timeout and fail but the same from wget or curl will retry after the timeout.  You can test with wget -vd flags (verbose and debug) to see how it's trying to connect.

• 1 month later...
anthonws

Is there any way to debug the SubtitleManager? I am a VIP member of OpenSubtitles (Verified that is active), and I can't see any results when searching for subs via Emby.

Looking at Emby logs, including debug logs, I have no error at all. XML-RPC calls are done but no failure.

I have uninstalled and installed the plugin and re-entered my password. Other plugins are working (e.g., addic7ed).

Thanks,

anthonws.

Edited by anthonws

On 1/1/2023 at 5:46 AM, anthonws said:

Is there any way to debug the SubtitleManager? I am a VPI member of OpenSubtitles (Verified that is active), and I can't see any results when searching for subs via Emby.

Looking at Emby logs, including debug logs, I have no error at all. XML-RPC calls are done but no failure.

I have uninstalled and installed the plugin and re-entered my password. Other plugins are working (e.g., addic7ed).

Thanks,

anthonws.

Hi there, have you taken a look at our help topic on this?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848856-manual-subtitle-downloads

anthonws
On 1/4/2023 at 8:14 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, have you taken a look at our help topic on this?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848856-manual-subtitle-downloads

Yes. When manually looking for subtitles, only plugins other than OpenSubtitles work. It would be good to have a way to debug SubtitleManager to extract more information on the actual XML-RPC call that is being sent.

Edited by anthonws

6 hours ago, anthonws said:

Yes. When manually looking for subtitles, only plugins other than OpenSubtitles work. It would be good to have a way to debug SubtitleManager to extract more information on the actual XML-RPC call that is being sent.

@anthonws please go over a specific example:

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 1:36 PM, anthonws said:

I'm having this issue as well. All I can get the logs to show is. Thousands of these and no real error message. I know my login is correct and that subtitles are not downloading. Hard to know what the issue is since we can't get more debugging. @Luke

2023-01-30 21:45:49.566 Info HttpClient: POST https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2023-01-30 21:45:49.854 Info HttpClient: POST https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2023-01-30 21:45:50.230 Info HttpClient: POST https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2023-01-30 21:45:50.521 Info HttpClient: POST https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2023-01-30 21:45:50.811 Info HttpClient: POST https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2023-01-30 21:45:51.126 Info HttpClient: POST https://vip-api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc

I tried non VIP as well and no luck. Changed passwords as well and still same message repeating. I know I am not banned as I login to my opensubtitles.org account and it shows I have downloaded 0 subtitles in the last 90 days. So it seems that Emby is not able to grab them for some reason. 

I used the same login and used filebot to find the subtitles so my account and IP for sure is not banned and is functioning. 

Edited by navy12

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, navy12 said:

I tried non VIP as well and no luck. Changed passwords as well and still same message repeating. I know I am not banned as I login to my opensubtitles.org account and it shows I have downloaded 0 subtitles in the last 90 days. So it seems that Emby is not able to grab them for some reason. 

I used the same login and used filebot to find the subtitles so my account and IP for sure is not banned and is functioning. 

@navy12 

Hi, please go over a specific example:

Thanks !

anthonws
On 2/21/2023 at 4:52 AM, Luke said:

This was semi-solved in another thread. You submitted an update to the plugin and I got partial results for PT-pt subtitles. Still, regardless of your attention and me appreciating it (in written form), I've decided to move subtitles to Bazaar given higher control and troubleshooting capabilities.

Cheers,

anthonws.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, anthonws said:

This was semi-solved in another thread. You submitted an update to the plugin and I got partial results for PT-pt subtitles. Still, regardless of your attention and me appreciating it (in written form), I've decided to move subtitles to Bazaar given higher control and troubleshooting capabilities.

Cheers,

anthonws.

Why, what higher control?

Spaceboy
On 17/03/2023 at 03:31, Luke said:

Why, what higher control?

on its own - the ability to have both the forced and the standard subs fetched. but i could easily list another 10

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

on its own - the ability to have both the forced and the standard subs fetched. but i could easily list another 10

such as?

anthonws
16 hours ago, Luke said:

such as?

1. Ability to define multiple rules for cutoffs (search for these 3, but if A is done don't search anymore)
2. Ability to support media analysis for not searching when embedded subtitles exist

3. Rules for download based on regex

4. Define specific rules for upgrading existing subtitles

5. Adaptive searching to prevent flooding providers

etc.

• Agree 1

Spaceboy

use of language profiles which define what subs should be fetched for what movies - multiple are available and can be assigned. i have different profiles for english vs non english movies

ability to also fetch hearing impaired subs in addition to both forced and standard

a nice UI for reviewing completeness of obtained subs

upgrade-able subs

post processing of subs

6 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

use of language profiles which define what subs should be fetched for what movies - multiple are available and can be assigned. i have different profiles for english vs non english movies

ability to also fetch hearing impaired subs in addition to both forced and standard

a nice UI for reviewing completeness of obtained subs

upgrade-able subs

post processing of subs

What options are in a profile? Do you post process your subs?

Spaceboy
9 hours ago, Luke said:

What options are in a profile? Do you post process your subs?

profiles

image.thumb.png.62b524d1fdeaaaa3e13822c0c361c57d.png

each movie/tv show can be allocated a profile

post processing - yes. conversion to utf8 would have avoided an issue i saw posted just yesterday

image.thumb.png.11f6f3e9920dfeb803b8e406af8d7efb.png

• Thanks 1