Newbie Question from Former Kodi User....

Soundchasr

Soundchasr

I used to use Kodi on a Firestick which I really loved.  Unfortunately, I had to switch to Roku because of my C4 system in the house.  I tried Plex and it seemed to transcode everything and I'm using an AMD CPU which it didn't seem to support.  I'm trying Emby now.  Are there any recommended settings for directly streaming without always transcoding?  

Edited by Soundchasr
added cpu

Hello Soundchasr,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, Emby Server will always direct play whenever possible, so there's nothing you need to do to enable it. Is most of your playback going to be on Roku?

Let us know how you get on and if you have questions. Thanks.

• Like 1

visproduction

SC,
If the original content is already correct for playback, it would not need to be transcoded.  Different TV's can handle different video and audio codecs but Emby direct streams, I believe, based on which Emby app and if the playback does not need any other codec.  Sorry if that is confusing.  I believe the answers is tied to what you want to stream to.
The only playback that I know for sure is that browsers without extra plugins like to playback Video X.264 and Audio AAC.  I pre convert everything and never use the Emby transcoder.  So all my media content plays on any browser fine and you can cast the playback to any smart TV that is on the network.

The downside of doing this is it's a manual step and not automated and x264 needs to be about 40% larger to look as optimal as X265.  There are other subtle differences that might make you want to have the x265 video codec a little larger than that.

My perferred x.264 video codec rate for 1080P is 2100 kbps or 2400 kbps for heavy motion, audio as high as possible.  The audio preference is more just me, because I worked as a sound engineer and any compression is fingernails on the chalkboard.

To answer your question about settings for the Emby transcoder, sorry I don't know which settings get this bit rate.  Hopefully this info is a helpful start.

Soundchasr

Thanks all.  All of my playback is on the Roku.  I just streamed a movie that Plex was transcoding automatically and it didn't appear to do it with Emby. YAY!!!!!  

• Thanks 1