Slow Library scan since Intro Skip feature introduced

Arby

Hello,

I don't think that this is a bug, and I think it would be more a feature request.

Since Emby Server included the intro detection (I upgraded from 4.6.x to 4.7.6 some weeks ago and now have 4.7.8) I may assume that, while scanning new elements in the library of type "TV Shows", now takes much much more longer than before, presumably because Emby not only fetches metadata and images but also scans the video files to detect the intro starting and ending points.

Well, as "Scan Media Library" and "Detect Episode Intros" are two separate tasks in the CronJob part of the server administration, I thought (and would propose) that these two tasks should always be kept separate. Like this: Scan new elements in the library folder(s), but DON'T search the Intro Marks. At least for me it is sufficient, if you let Emby Server search for these marks in the next scheduled task. This way the scanning of a TV Shows library folder would get as fast as it was in 4.6.x.

What do you think about this?

PS: My observations rely on the configuration that the library is watching the file system, to import new elements in the moment they appear on the hard disk. In this case it should only import the series' metadata but not scan the video files for intros. Let that do the daily cron job here taking place by night when nobody of the family is streaming.

Edited by Arby

Ah, I see what you mean.

It was configured like "as scheduled task and when media was added" (I translated that hopefully correct back to english, as the language of my Emby is german), though I don't remeber that this option was available and I thought I had configured only "as scheduled task".

Will change that instantly and see tomorrow when I add new content whether that helps.

• Thanks 1

Yes, that solved it. Thank you.

Nevertheless, I would like to stress some issue that occurs when you use the other option "as scheduled task AND when media was added".

My observations seem to confirm that Emby already has identified a season and/or the episodes but didn't write them to disk or database until also the intros were processed. I would propose to change that workflow in that way that the images and nfo files are first written before the intro search is executed. This is a "problem" when a already assign your own images to the show or its seasons but Emby overwrites them when all episodes are scanned after a long long time.

Some strange behaviour occurs also when using the said intro option: While this scanning process, in the category "Newest Series/Shows" there is only that one currently scanned series listed. As the number of remaining files to scan is reduced, more an more of the recent added shows re-appear again. I kept track and realized that each episode's scan completion reduced the number of "missing" entries in the "newest" section by one. To be more clear: The "Newest Shows" section has 16 entries. So when 24 episodes for one show are added and "intro scanned", this show is the only one in that section until scanning of the 9th episode is complete (24 minus 16), with the 9th episode onward each new scanned episode re-adds one show to the "Newest Shows" section again. I'd rather say that this is a bug (but cannot say if on server or on client side, but I suppose it's a server side bug).

Edited by Arby

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Arby said:

Some strange behaviour occurs also when using the said intro option: While this scanning process, in the category "Newest Series/Shows" there is only that one currently scanned series listed. As the number of remaining files to scan is reduced, more an more of the recent added shows re-appear again. I kept track and realized that each episode's scan completion reduced the number of "missing" entries in the "newest" section by one. To be more clear: The "Newest Shows" section has 16 entries. So when 24 episodes for one show are added and "intro scanned", this show is the only one in that section until scanning of the 9th episode is complete (24 minus 16), with the 9th episode onward each new scanned episode re-adds one show to the "Newest Shows" section again. I'd rather say that this is a bug (but cannot say if on server or on client side, but I suppose it's a server side bug).

Yep as mass additions overload the episode stacking process to present a grouped item in the row.