Issue With Subtitles Being Cute Off, Loading To Close Together ETC.

Jamiex304

Jamiex304

Hi,

I am just getting setup with Emby and I am having an Issue with subtitles being cut off, loading to close together or hanging around on screen till I tab out of fullscreeen, its all pretty weird. The subtitles display fine if I was to to play the video normally on my PC with the likes of VLC.

I have attached an example of subtitles being cut off (In this example it happens at the 2:28 mark ) I have attached the video file as a google drive link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/18900Rzrn64Pg_oeq_K4VDouL-5p0_mgT/view?usp=sharing

Would anyone be able to advise about what is going on here as most of content will be anime based so subs are need to be spot on.

Some Notes:

• Using the Webapp (app.emby.media)
  • Hosting the server on the same machine (Machine is pretty beefy just recently build)

Thanks,

Jamie

Capture.PNG

Hello Jamiex304,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Jamiex304

This fullscreen option clicking it and returning out of fullscreen will remove subtitles that have for some reason stuck around. But thats only 1 of the issues right now I am more concerned with it cutting off subtitles.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jamiex304

Jamiex304

Here is an example of what I mean when I say 'loading to close together' as you can see the letters are on top of each other here.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jamiex304

pwhodges

The crowding effect typically means that the correct font is not being used.  Depending on the source of the anime this may either be because the person who prepared the file didn't attach the fonts, and you don't have them installed, or it can mean (as you are using the web app which requires ASS subs to be burnt in at the server) that you need to use a more recent version of the server, maybe even the beta - as this has been done wrong by the server in the recent past.

Paul

• Like 1

Jamiex304
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

The crowding effect typically means that the correct font is not being used.  Depending on the source of the anime this may either be because the person who prepared the file didn't attach the fonts, and you don't have them installed, or it can mean (as you are using the web app which requires ASS subs to be burnt in at the server) that you need to use a more recent version of the server, maybe even the beta - as this has been done wrong by the server in the recent past.

Paul

Yeah I assumed that was the case, I tried going up in version to the beta but no change and honestly the crowding I can live with its subs being cut of that is the real issue.

Jamiex304
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks. What time are they getting cut off, and which subtitle track are you selecting?

Hi Luke, 

The subtitle track being used is 'English (Default Forced ASS) - Signs & Songs' 

And an example of the subs being cut off happens at timestamp - 2:27 - 2:31 (This the same example of the original attached image)

Capture.PNG

Jamiex304

Any update to this as its sadly not isolated to a single show and as you can see from this new example can be pretty annoying.

Capture.PNG

pwhodges

This file works perfectly for me using the current beta server and the web app (with the server burning in the subs); I see the correct fonts with no cutting off (because the fonts are are the expected size, I guess).  This suggests to me that there is some subtitle setting which you need to tweak.

In the server settings, under "Transcoding" (near the bottom) do you have "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" set?  If you have, try with it unset.

Paul

Jamiex304
22 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

This file works perfectly for me using the current beta server and the web app (with the server burning in the subs); I see the correct fonts with no cutting off (because the fonts are are the expected size, I guess).  This suggests to me that there is some subtitle setting which you need to tweak.

In the server settings, under "Transcoding" (near the bottom) do you have "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" set?  If you have, try with it unset.

Paul

Hi Paul, this indeed worked for the files where the subs are included. But I am seeing this cut off issue with external sub files as well. As I usually prefer to have external subs. Any ideas for a solution there ? 

I'm surprised to hear this coming up now for the first time given that we've been using this subtitle rendering library for several years now. if this were a widespread problem we'd have known about it by now.

Since you say this also happens with external .ass, you can easily examine those. Do they contain subtitle resolution and positioning values? 

Without digging into the rendering library's source code, the best guess I have right now is the subtitles contain embedded positioning that puts them outside of the video bounds, and I think other players just happen to handle it better with some boundary checking.

Jamiex304

Hmm well it must be something to do with the styling maybe or rendering library I'm not to sure. I tested there with a different episode where I have an external copy of the internal subs. I have attached the images below:

1.Is simply with the external subs selected and yeah its completely cut off and the font is all wrong.

2.Is with the option Allow subtitle extraction on the fly turned off with the internal subs selected and it worked fine

I'm guessing the format and fonts arent support ?

Capture.PNG.3943f409380fdb63ad2974aac708f8a6.png

Capture.PNG

Just now, Jamiex304 said:

Welp that sucks.

There are ways to force server transcoding if you really want and have the horsepower for it. We are using the best available method to direct play them in the browser and right now it's just not perfected yet.