Enhanced filter library by alphabet

jburman01

jburman01

When filtering content in Jellyfin by letter  it only shows content that starts with the corresponding letter. It would make searching by alphabet in Emby so much easier if this was an option? I think this option would bring Emby that much closer to dominance over both Plex and JellyFin

image.thumb.png.9e0781613a13b7c7376fac2fb0c30cef.png

Edited by jburman01

HI, that was our older implementation. In fact, we only did that at the time because because the newer method hadn't been built yet. Is there something we could do to make the current technique better for you? For instance what if there was a highlight around the first one matching the letter you clicked?

• Like 1

jburman01

I think highlighting the first poster matching the letter clicked is okay if you don't have a huge library.

In my opinion, it would be better if either

• Emby grayed out everything except the movies starting with the chosen letter.

or

• Emby  brought posters matching the letter clicked to the front (increased size slightly) while leaving all other posters the original size.

or

• Having the option to chose between the new grid or the old implementation. 

At least for me, there have been a number of times when I filter to a specific letter looking for something and scrolled past what I was looking for. I hope this helps Luke and I appreciate you taking the time to consider this :)

Jason

The older method was essentially a cheap starting point that we kind of just threw in until we could do something better. I do understand that sometimes when we do that, some users might actually end up liking it that way but most did not. What we're doing now is a much more commonly used pattern. I would think that we could find a way to make the matching items stand out more.

• Like 1

jburman01

Maybe the solution could be something as simple as highlighting all the posters starting with the chosen letter?

15 hours ago, jburman01 said:

Maybe the solution could be something as simple as highlighting all the posters starting with the chosen letter?

I actually think that would end up being confusing for some.  That paradigm is not a filter but a jump to a point.   I think it would be confusing for it to behave in a way different from every other app that uses the same interface.

Cheesegeezer

Yeah i think that the search function would suit what you want better, however this still requires 2 letters and only shows results for those letters and nothing after it.

In Emby for WMC (God rest it's soul) it was always a "Jump To" point in that.  And i believe personally that is the best way to have it.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

How do we vote against a feature request? 

Another reason FR need to be polls instead of post Likes.  As there is no way do dislike as that would really destroy one's reputation.

• Agree 2

jburman01
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

How do we vote against a feature request? 

Here's some food for thought. Just because someone makes a feature request that you don't agree with doesn't give a free pass for snarky comments. Just a simple I don't agree and here is why would suffice. If you don't have anything constructive than perhaps its best to not respond at all

6 minutes ago, jburman01 said:

Here's some food for thought. Just because someone makes a feature request that you don't agree with doesn't give a free pass for snarky comments. Just a simple I don't agree and here is why would suffice. If you don't have anything constructive than perhaps its best to not respond at all

Hi, yes you're absolutely right. Apologies if any offense was taken.

• Like 1

jburman01
9 hours ago, ebr said:

I actually think that would end up being confusing for some.  That paradigm is not a filter but a jump to a point.   I think it would be confusing for it to behave in a way different from every other app that uses the same interface.

I don't know how that would be confusing, you click on lets say O and only the movies with O show. What else would a user expect to happen after clicking O in their movies list. Also that's why I suggested having both ways available. Having more customization options makes Emby not just like every other platform out there, it'll make it stand out from the others.

Edited by jburman01
made it more readable

jburman01
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes you're absolutely right. Apologies if any offense was taken.

No offense, maybe just some mild irritation! :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jburman01 said:

I don't know how that would be confusing, you click on lets say O and only the movies with O show. What else would a user expect to happen after clicking O in their movies list

Hi.  I think if you look at any other application with that same type of interface, you will find that it just advances the list to the first item beginning with that letter.  It isn't a filter but a jump to feature.  So, behaving any different from that would be unexpected by anyone familiar with that interface.

• Like 1

jburman01
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I think if you look at any other application with that same type of interface, you will find that it just advances the list to the first item beginning with that letter.  It isn't a filter but a jump to feature.  So, behaving any different from that would be unexpected by anyone familiar with that interface.

Point taken! Plex is very similar to the way Emby handles jump to instead of filtering. Jellyfin on the other hand does most definitely use filtering. I'd say the Jellyfin way is my preference but it doesn't sound like it's for everyone!

sydlexius
15 hours ago, jburman01 said:

Point taken! Plex is very similar to the way Emby handles jump to instead of filtering. Jellyfin on the other hand does most definitely use filtering. I'd say the Jellyfin way is my preference but it doesn't sound like it's for everyone!

IMO, any sort of filtering should be done within the filtering screen/menu.  First-character, on face value seems useful for languages that use alphabetic scripts and Arabic numerals.  For other writing systems, you such a filtering system would be less-than-optimal.  For example, a Sinitic language system as simple as simplified chinese still has over 8000 characters!  I believe Emby supports UTF-16, which itself has over 60,000 characters!

• Like 1