Select main server blank after installing emby-next-gen

richardvrusso

richardvrusso

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is not in the correct folder. Will gladly move if deemed so.

I'll start with I used to run emby on a Win10 x64 machine. Recently I built an unRAID box and deployed emby as a docker. Everything runs great, even off-network. What I can't figure out is different behavior with the kodi instances on the network. Before if I installed emby-next-gen the popup to select the main server would show the emby server. Then I click it and select the user and pick my libraries and it syncs. Now an install of emby-next-gen and the select main server is not seeing the emby server (see attached pic). I have to choose manually add server, then I can pick my user/libraries and it also synces fine.

I'm wondering if the docker container is missing setting or port to allow all the local kodi instances to see the emby server?

Regards, Rich

2022-10-04_002406.png

richardvrusso

Yes manually typing it in works fine. On a windows pc its definitely not big deal. However on a fire tv stick or chromecast w/google tv it takes way longer to type in the IP. That's why i'm wondering if i'm missing something now that i'm running it on unRAID's docker.

richardvrusso

Fun fact:

The jellyfin docker container has an additional port to allow clients to discover it. My first guess was when I had it running on Win10 maybe the clients on network were able to see emby discover it by some other port.

2022-10-04_005435.png

richardvrusso

I've only been using docker seriously since moving to an unRAID box. So just over a year I think. I forget who's videos I watched but they recommended a custom bridge for the docker network. Reasoning was you had to create your own so that the containers could directly communicate. The built-in ones did not have that feature. This seemed to make sense and gave the impression normally traffic would have to leave the box and come back for things like sonarr to nzbget and so on. 

So all the containers have a 172.19.0.X and the unRAID is 192.168.254.253.

🤔 💡that could be hindering it. Maybe I have to redo my research on best docker networking setup for a media server. 

richardvrusso

Hey Luke,

Just changed the container to host mode and 😮 now there are magically more ports showing up! The 1900 and 7359 were not there with the custom bridge. I loaded up kodi on my Win11 machine but the add-on did not show the server automatically. I'll try changing it to bridge mode next...

image.png.77cbd44661ab31f8e8003cc3a20fd603.png

• Thanks 1

richardvrusso

Hmm Bridge mode was not better. I made the container loose those extra ports. I put it back to Host mode for now.

image.png.d762cb5dd361d7a893633071482b637a.png

• Thanks 1

jkasanic

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using UnRaid and Emby Docker for several years and mine is set to host. Of course, a couple days ago I lost sever connection to Emby using Emby Next Gen 6.2.20 and Kodi 19.3/4 so who knows…waiting for some help myself.

richardvrusso

Hey jkasanic. Good to know. To contradict my other post now in host mode the Kodi clients ARE finding emby 😁👍 so now Im leaving it that way and several other containers are in host. All the apps are still working so mission success. 

What I haven't figured out yet is why with the emby container in bridge or custom bridge do some of the ports disappear. 🤔

2 hours ago, richardvrusso said:

Hey jkasanic. Good to know. To contradict my other post now in host mode the Kodi clients ARE finding emby 😁👍 so now Im leaving it that way and several other containers are in host. All the apps are still working so mission success. 

What I haven't figured out yet is why with the emby container in bridge or custom bridge do some of the ports disappear. 🤔

Perhaps in bridge the server is not being granted access to those ports?