Ability to change image size highlights Emby's low image quality

DogBronson

DogBronson

We can now set the size of images in library view, which is great. It's a feature I've been wanting. However, I was also hoping than in tandem, the image quality Emby uses in libraries would be increased to accommodate. For example, this is with Primary view set to Extra Large:

Untitled.thumb.png.3bc311ef307bf579dd64968ee9b5a104.png

These are all high resolution posters, but they all end up looking fuzzy and pixelated because Emby is enlarging an already low resolution copy of the high resolution file I have. Honestly, the default size setting still looks pretty fuzzy and not as clear as it should as well. I would guess that Emby has to make a lower resolution version of posters we select because everything being 2000x3000 images would make loading posters in the library very slow for most people, but in my opinion the image resolution in library views is too low. It looks even worse on a TV.

I prefer Emby to Plex in every way (I even bought a lifetime subscription of Premiere but never paid for Plex), except for one thing: images just look better in Plex.

Emby is enlarging an already low resolution copy of the high resolution file I have

Hi, actually this isn't true. As you change image sizes, the app will request a larger image size from the server. It won't upscale a smaller version.

Anyway we'll take a look at this and see what improvements can be made. Thanks.

Edit: Yes it does do this immediately after changing, but when you refresh the page in the browser it will pull down a larger size. We'll take a look at that and make sure it's immediate. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
DogBronson

Sorry for such a late reply.

You are correct, refreshing shows better quality images.Thanks for pointing that out! I do think there's room for improvement in how images look while browsing Emby, though. Everything looks so compressed which is surely for quick loading, but I for one would gladly sacrifice a bit of that speed to have my libraries look nice with all the images I've carefully chosen rather than a blurry artifact-filled mess.

Okay, that's actually a bit harsh, it doesn't look that horrible, but I would still like to see better image quality in the future.