Home Videos show up in Movie Library

Maverick0815

Maverick0815

I am running Emby together with Kodi on an Ubunutu Box. As the plugin for Kodi I use Emby Next Gen. To be honest I am not quite sure, if this a kodi or an emby related issue:

I have separate Libraries for Movies, Music and TV-Shows and they are all quite neat. However I also setup a Library for photos and home videos, but for some reason all my home videos keep showing up in my Movie library and that is quite messy. Is there something Emby-side, that I can do to keep this  from happening?

Maverick0815

Physically I have separate folders for Movies, Music, TV-Shows. The only thing that is with mixed content is the folder Photos- which contains photos and homevideos.

The Libraries are also separate for Movies, Music and TV-Shows. I created a library for Home Videos and Photos. As I said, I have those homevideos showing up in my movie library on kodi.

Happy2Play

Do they appear correctly in the web client?

But may need to see folder paths used for each library.

Hi.  Please show us the actual paths and be sure that you aren't pointing one library to another accidentally by it being included within the path.

Maverick0815

The webclients shows everything correctly. I am attaching a screenshot, where you can see that there is no overlap in folders. The folder "audio" contains only music files and is in the music library. Under "videos" are movies and TV-Shows and they also show up correctly. the folder "photos" contains all the home videos and pictures and they are also in their respective library. Only in Kodi I am getting this mix up.

Screenshot folders.jpg

Can you please list out the exact folder paths that are added to each library, as shown in Emby library setup? Thanks !

Maverick0815

no problem:

Library Home Videos& photos : \home\public\data\photos

Library Movies: \home\public\data\videos\movies

Library TV-Shows: \home\public\data\videos\tv-shows

Library Music: \home\public\data\audio

quickmic

Well, I assume you synced the home videos to Kodi.

As Kodi has only 4 content categories (TVShows, Movies, Musicvideos and Music), homevideos are treated as movies.

So the default Kodi skin shows all homevideos and movies together, but you can use any custom skin -> using the plugin's custom nodes for skin configuration. It's a bit of work, but it's worth it.

The other option would be, not syncing homevideos and using next-gen's dynamic nodes (not recommended).

Btw, Photos are never synced (Kodi has no support for that). For photo access you always need the dynamic nodes, but you could cache the photos for much faster loading time.

Edited by quickmic

• 4 weeks later...
Maverick0815

sorry for the late reply. I appreciate your work. I think I will take a long hard look at those customs skins. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
MagicPinball

Just came across this post. In order to separate home videos/pictures from the Movies content, what skin(s) do you recommend? With the latest release of Kodi, any recommendations? Btw, I also use Emby as the backend. 

quickmic
On 3/13/2023 at 2:01 PM, MagicPinball said:

Just came across this post. In order to separate home videos/pictures from the Movies content, what skin(s) do you recommend? With the latest release of Kodi, any recommendations? Btw, I also use Emby as the backend. 

The default (estuary) skin has limitations. Every custom skin can deal with custom nodes. Personally I use Estuary MOD V2 Nexus from kodinerds repo, but's a matter of taste. https://repo.kodinerds.net/

MagicPinball

OK, I'll check it out. I have not made any serious mods. In what areas of that skin should I look? I assume settings, interface, then what? 

I am using Emby (plugin.video.emby-6.2.22).  There appears to be an issue using ver 7.x and I have to use 6.2.x. 

Edited by MagicPinball

quickmic
On 3/17/2023 at 1:44 PM, MagicPinball said:

There appears to be an issue using ver 7.x

That kind of issue?

Edited by quickmic

MagicPinball

Some videos (one being Carnival Row TV series) shows the wait spinning circles when trying to play when using Emby next-gen 7.x.  Clicking on the same file outside of Kodi, or plying inside of Emby works fine.  It's a MKV file; don't know the format inside the container.  But, using Emby net-gen plugin 6.2.22 works.

I played with the Estuary MOD V2 Nexus skin that you recommended.  I had to remove my "Pictures and Videos" library from Emby and just pointed Kodi directly to the pictures folder and that worked.  I'm not too familiar with making these kinds of mods in the the skins, but got it to work.

quickmic
3 minutes ago, MagicPinball said:

Some videos (one being Carnival Row TV series) shows the wait spinning circles when trying to play when using Emby next-gen 7.x

Please send me a kodi.log for review (including this issue).

Edited by quickmic

MagicPinball

Uninstalled Ver 6.x, loaded ver 7.13.6.  Deleted log file.  Started Kodi, went to TV shows and try to start one of the episodes of Carnival Row.  (only these files have this issue)  It would not start and display the wait icon.  Had to abort Kodi.  Attached is the log file.

kodi.log

quickmic
16 minutes ago, MagicPinball said:

Uninstalled Ver 6.x, loaded ver 7.13.6.  Deleted log file.  Started Kodi, went to TV shows and try to start one of the episodes of Carnival Row.  (only these files have this issue)  It would not start and display the wait icon.  Had to abort Kodi.  Attached is the log file.

kodi.log 87.13 kB · 0 downloads

There is no plugin issue reported in the log. As you use Kodi 20.X I recommend 8.X versions. Try current 8.0.4:

MagicPinball

Same result.  Could not start the episode.  Attached is the log.

Additional comment on this if it matters.  I run my Win 11 PC thru my Denon AVR.  With Ver 6.2.22, the Denon display shows the audio playing Atmos.  All other videos are Stereo, Dolby, DTS, etc.

kodi.log

quickmic

Ok, I still don't see any issues.

I'm quite sure, this issue is not related to the plugin.

Please perform a test  PC/Mac with STOCK Kodi installation with ONLY next-gen plugin installed. 8.X and select addon mode

Edited by quickmic

MagicPinball

Unistalled Kodi
Installed Kodi 20.1
Did not change skin
Added plugin.video.emby-next-gen-8.0.4
Restart Kodi
Added Emby libraries to Kodi
Tried to start Carnival Row S02E01
Busy wheels did not stop
Aborted Kodi

Attached log

kodi.log

quickmic
11 hours ago, MagicPinball said:

Unistalled Kodi
Installed Kodi 20.1
Did not change skin
Added plugin.video.emby-next-gen-8.0.4
Restart Kodi
Added Emby libraries to Kodi
Tried to start Carnival Row S02E01
Busy wheels did not stop
Aborted Kodi

Attached log

kodi.log 41.56 kB · 0 downloads

Let me guess, you are using Emby server beta .21?

quickmic

Did you start the playback via widget and if yes, is this a dynamic content widget?

More general, do you use dynamic content widgets? If so, try enable "Use Kodi bugs workaround" in plugin config menu -> advanced settings.

Edited by quickmic