Filter in Settings for Library

Nick D_CA

Nick D_CA

Is there a way to filter a library at the settings level so that the kids don't inadvertently turn it off when browsing for movies?

I am not looking for parental controls as kids can see my password when I enter it on the TV whenever we want to watch something that isn't in their profile. But I want to be able to tell them to stick to certain libraries and use the honor system. 

Hi, if they have their own profile, then why not just use the user access features that we have to restrict them to certain libraries?

• 1 month later...
Nick D_CA

Thanks but that's not what I am looking to do.
I would like to set filters on the library from within settings (so it is harder to accidently change). This would allow us have a library of movies that are just "G" for the little kids, and another for "PG-13" for the teenagers or "R" for the grandparents. We could also have different libraries per-genre or based on tags.
I tried multiple profiles and the family didn't like the experience, said it was too confusing then asked me to turn it off. We would like to only have one profile and can share which have been watched between everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Nick D_CA said:

Thanks but that's not what I am looking to do.
I would like to set filters on the library from within settings (so it is harder to accidently change). This would allow us have a library of movies that are just "G" for the little kids, and another for "PG-13" for the teenagers or "R" for the grandparents. We could also have different libraries per-genre or based on tags.
I tried multiple profiles and the family didn't like the experience, said it was too confusing then asked me to turn it off. We would like to only have one profile and can share which have been watched between everyone. 

What was too confusing?

2 hours ago, Nick D_CA said:

Going in and out, switching between them.

What could be done to make it easier? In Emby you click your user icon in the top right, then Change User.

In Netflix, you click your user icon in the top left, then change profile. (I think most know how to do that).

Nick D_CA

I agree, it's not that difficult, but the family asked to just get rid of it. We still use profiles for personal devices like phones/tablets, but shared devices like TV, it isn't wanted.

(We also don't use Nexflix profiles anymore and just share one account.)

Nick D_CA

That is to add a pin to a library which is not really my ask. As you mentioned in your response there, you would have to update every UI.

What I am looking for is to create filters per library on the settings screen. If all my movies are in one folder, I could then create a library for just cartoons based on a tag. Or if I could filter name like a*, b*, c*, I could case libraries like Movies A to C. There are many possibilities and customizations you could do with an option like this. Sounds to me like this change would be on server app and not every UI.