No avi playback on Amazon FireStick 4K

mengoshmink

mengoshmink

Hi guys,

I have a number of Amazon FireStick's that used to play all (the ones I wanted to watch) avi files I have, but lately I can not get any playback. Just the spinning blue circle.

Emby Server 4.7.6.0

Version 2.0.79a Registered

The only way I have managed, so far, to work around the problem, is to, in the FireStick Emby app go; settings > playback > use external player for videos (check) and then select an avi file for playback. The avi file then plays through Kodi.

Playback on the web app works fine. Other file formats tried seem fine.

I have tried through the Android app (3.2.67) on the same Amazon FireStick with the same no playback, spinning blue circle.

Attached is a sample extract of a video file and a logfile from the server while trying to playback that file.

Any suggestions?

Edit, 16 minutes later, playback has started. Tail logfile attached.

Edit, another 14 minutes later, started the non-extracted version of the attached file. Playback started but no audio or video.

embyserver.txt

embyserver(playback started).txt

Edited by mengoshmink

I have tried through the Android app (3.2.67) on the same Amazon FireStick with the same no playback, spinning blue circle.

Hi, can you try downloading again and installing the latest version?

mengoshmink

Sure Luke.

Uninstalled old, installed new Android app version 3,2,77 (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/raw/master/android/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk)

Same result, except this time I waited 45 minutes the screen turned black, it started playing but with no audio or video.

embyserver(android).txt

• 4 months later...
mengoshmink

Hi all,

I'm still having the problem listed above but now believe it's related to my nginx configuration.

Attach are my nginx configuration files.

As a workaround I use Emby's playback correction on all my avi files. A bit tiresome when they play fine if connecting without the nginx reverse proxy.

ngix.conf proxy.conf sites-enabled emby.subdomain.conf ssl-video.conf worker_processes.conf

rbjtech

It's possibly your CSP Policy  which looks to only cover your own site.

comment it out - if it works, then ping me and I'll share my CSP.

On my system using nginx via TLS - this file streams just fine remotely via Android (mobile) / Web and FireTV 

btw - you need to rename the file without the word 'sample' in it for it to show - emby ignores anything with 'sample' in the file name ... ;)

image.png.f1e4173170e123bd57457be2f3724ae7.pngimage.png.f9de0323ecfb9e952d5eccf0b5be29d4.png

edit -

Ah - you are using the Android version sideloaded onto the FireTV ?

I just tried this Beta client and I too have the same issue - blue spinning circle...

Personally - the FireTV client (AndroidTV) is still far superior (imo) and plays this file and all others without issues ..

This is the AndroidTV/FireTV forum - so thought you were using the official FireTV (or sideloaded FireTV) client.

Edited by rbjtech

On 2/16/2023 at 3:33 PM, mengoshmink said:

Hi all,

I'm still having the problem listed above but now believe it's related to my nginx configuration.

Attach are my nginx configuration files.

As a workaround I use Emby's playback correction on all my avi files. A bit tiresome when they play fine if connecting without the nginx reverse proxy.

ngix.conf 973 B · 2 downloads proxy.conf 493 B · 2 downloads sites-enabled emby.subdomain.conf 765 B · 1 download ssl-video.conf 347 B · 2 downloads worker_processes.conf 23 B · 1 download

Hi, have you compared your nginx setup to this?

mengoshmink

Correct

To be fair this seems really unfair asking here as it is clearly not an Emby problem but everytime I look for a solution, top of the list is this forum.

Edited by mengoshmink