Collections are not automatically created

Ceten

Hi
I'm using the auto boxsets feature to automatically create new collections.
It's enabled for my movie library and set to create collections if I have at least 2 movies from the collection:
image.png.235abc01aacc40ae3ad2069cae64f330.png

However I noticed that a lot of recently added movies are not sorted into collections.

• Top Gun & Top Gun: Maverick
  • A Quiet Place & A Quiet Place II
  • Sonic the Hedhehog & Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Murder on the Orient Express & Death on the Nile
  • Venom & Venom: Let There Be Carnage
  • Doctor Strange & Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

There might be others that I've missed but these are the ones I've found after noticing the trend yesterday.
I don't know if it's coincidence, but all of these are collections of 2 movies for which the second one has been added this year although there is a collection for Minions & Minions: The Rise of Gru.

The current server version is 4.7.1.0 running on a Synology DS918+ but the update to 4.7.1.0 was only installed 2 or 3 weeks ago (before the last of the movies above was added).
I've just added Thor: Love and Thunder for which a collection already existed and it has been added to the existing collection after manually starting a media library scan.
Anyone has any clue on what might be causing this?

HI, try refreshing the metadata on those movies and see if that helps. Also I would suggest updating to Emby Server 4.7.6.

Happy2Play
10 hours ago, Ceten said:

The current server version is 4.7.1.0 running on a Synology DS918+ but the update to 4.7.1.0 was only installed 2 or 3 weeks ago

Why this version as 4.7.6.0 has been out since Jul 31, 2022?

But all item metadata requires to have <set> info so existing metadata usually has to be Refreshed to write this information.

I don't know how the typo happened but I'm running 4.7.6.0.
Metadata settings for the library are these (country is set to Belgium and metadata download language to Dutch):
image.png.ae498256b8d65f5a0959351e9aac34d6.png

Refreshing the metadata on Top Gun: Maverick alone didn't create the collection.
After refreshing Top Gun as well the collection was created and both movies were added to it.
Same for the 'A Quiet Place' movies so I'm guessing Emby is not detecting a collection if only one movie is added at first and a second one later?

Same for the 'A Quiet Place' movies so I'm guessing Emby is not detecting a collection if only one movie is added at first and a second one later?

No that works just fine, however, the question is why didn't the first title have the collection information? There could be any number of reasons for that, such as:

• The data from moviedb changing between the time the first and second movies were added
  • You had different library options at the time the first one was added
  • Something happened that removed the collection information from the first one, such as an external program updating the movie nfo file.

Or possibly something else, but since we're talking about something that happened in the past, it's too late to try and figure out why. If you can get this to happen again by adding two new movies separately, and capturing the server log from both occasions, then we should be able to figure it out.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Ceten said:

Refreshing the metadata on Top Gun: Maverick alone didn't create the collection.
After refreshing Top Gun as well the collection was created and both movies were added to it.

Look at Top Gun, when originally added and fetched was there ever a thought of a Sequel?  Unless you just happened to add this movie.  Do to situations like this lots of movie metadata could be off.  I would Refresh the entire Movie library and Search for Missing.

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Look at Top Gun, when originally added and fetched was there ever a thought of a Sequel?  Unless you just happened to add this movie.  Do to situations like this lots of movie metadata could be off.  I would Refresh the entire Movie library and Search for Missing.

I think you're spot on here. All of these examples were probably added before the sequel existed so there was no collection information in moviedb that could be added to the local metadata. Hence why the minions collection does exist as I added both movies recently so the collection already existed in moviedb. Is there a possibility for Emby to detect such a scenario and fill the collection id for all movies in the library that are missing the info?
Otherwise I'd need to remember to refresh the first movie manually every time I add a sequel that was just released😇

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Ceten said:

Is there a possibility for Emby to detect such a scenario and fill the collection id for all movies in the library that are missing the info?

I don't think so as Emby does not track Collections data that way but would assume   Best guess would be Emby would have to know Missing collections items and be able to link and auto refresh items if they already existed in database.

Auto Box Sets (Show Missing Collection Items) - Feature Requests - Emby Community

That's certainly an interesting feature request and I'm already following that but it's not entirely the same.
I think this case (the second movie wasn't announced yet when the first one was added to the library) might be solved in this way: when Emby retrieves the metadata for a new movie and it is part of a collection Emby could do a request to the movie database api (https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/collections/get-collection-details) and get all the movies in that collection and add the collection id to all of these movies that are already in the library.
@Lukeis this something that's doable?
I tried to check the Github repository but it seems the public version is quite old.