WAN access IP is always changing

sjkiss

On 9/29/2022 at 4:07 PM, cayars said:

Your local IPs shouldn't be changing.  As Happy2Play mentioned it's you Router's WAN IP that changes.  There is a pretty easy solution to fixing this using either a domain you register or a DDNS (dynamic DNSsystem).  Many home routers have this built right in and make it super easy to setup, basically just entering the hostname and password.

With a domain or DDNS and your router or small util running on any machine inside your network, you will keep a name server updated with your current WAN IP.  Anytime the IP changes it updates the service.  This allows you to then use a name of your choosing to access your Emby Service.

https://www.cloudns.net/blog/what-is-dynamic-dns/

Bringing this to a resolution, I *finally* figured out how to make this happen. I did not end up using cloudns.net; but http://no-ip.org. . The reason was because http://no-ip.org was a service provider built-in to my router. So...

1. I registered for a hostname that I picked for myself from the options available on no-ip.

2. Elsewhere I found the trick to set the IP address for the host name on the account to be 1.1.1.1. This helps to verify that it is actually updating. 

3. Then I opened up my router's home page by entering in the URL found in Network > Advanced Settings > TCP/IP in the browser bar

4. I entered in log-in information obtained from my ISP. 

5. There I found my way to Advanced Settings and then DDNS

6. There was a drop-down menu and pre-built fields where I could select no-ip and enter in my no-ip user name and no-ip password. 

7. Save Changes and restart the router

8. Go to your no-ip page and when you see the IP address 1.1.1.1. change to something else; it is now updating. 

9. You then also need to go through the steps to forward ports (running out of steam here, there are tutorials here in these forums). 

10. enter the URL from no-ip in the field "External Domain" in Emby > Network Settings. 

Should be good to go.

keithsrobertson
55 minutes ago, sjkiss said:

Great thanks. Can I ask a general question: how secure is this setup really? Over on the QNAP forums they freak out about the idea of having any ports forwarded. I only have two forwarded for Emby and that's it. But I have no idea how to judge. I don't want to be hacked, but I also very much would like my music accessible to myself and my family externally.

Totally concur about that. Thats why I only open the 8920 port to Emby (I deleted the 8096 port forward once I knew it was working). Probably more secure because its using SSL on that port. But nothing is 100% certain. The less ports open and forwarded the better of course. I have decided for myself that it is worth the risk to provide the functionality to my family members who access Emby externally. I try to mitigate any potential issues by updating firmware on the Qnap nas, and updating Emby as soon as possible assuming no issues have been flagged in forums online etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so a slight new problem has popped up. It seems like no-ip only keeps DDNS domain names active for 30 days; I need to reactivate every 30 days. I'd really rather not do this. Is there a way around this? @keithsrobertson

keithsrobertson

Have to look at the other DDNS providers that your router supports to see if one of them last more than 30 days. I opted for changeip because it was in my router, but also after checking out the alternatives i had in my router, the changeip one worked and lasts for a long time.