Shield vs newest AppleTV 4k

hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2

I am in a long time android ecosystem user and just recentlynswitched to iOS- 14 pro, watch, etc. I have Nvidia shields that perform well… direct playing from my lan connected Synology. No real complaints, but curious if there are any features or enhancements to be had from swapping to AppleTV boxes. Any formats supported, or Not supported, to know about? I believe the Shield is performing tone mapping for hdr content, can AppleTV do that? I only recently realized the Shield could.

vdatanet
4 hours ago, hifiaudio2 said:

I am in a long time android ecosystem user and just recentlynswitched to iOS- 14 pro, watch, etc. I have Nvidia shields that perform well… direct playing from my lan connected Synology. No real complaints, but curious if there are any features or enhancements to be had from swapping to AppleTV boxes. Any formats supported, or Not supported, to know about? I believe the Shield is performing tone mapping for hdr content, can AppleTV do that? I only recently realized the Shield could.

The Emby app for Apple TV is a far cry from the one for Android TV. The MPV player has many shortcomings, no HDR passthrough (dynamic range match) and no frame rate match. The native player does not support MKV HEVC HDR streaming, as Emby does not support HLS using fPM4. Emby usage experience is much better using Nvidia Shield.

hifiaudio2

10-4, thanks for the info! That’s too bad. Is it harder to develop for or just they had to choose one or the other due to manpower?  

vdatanet
15 minutes ago, hifiaudio2 said:

10-4, thanks for the info! That’s too bad. Is it harder to develop for or just they had to choose one or the other due to manpower?  

In my opinion, both reasons. The native Apple TV player has many limitations and this makes development harder and resources are limited, what has more market share is prioritized, and Apple products, for Emby have always been at the end of the queue.

1 hour ago, hifiaudio2 said:

Is it harder to develop for

Hi.  Yes, very much so because the Apple device is only designed to deal with Apple-specific formats whereas the Nvidia device is much more broad in support.  Forcing the Apple device to support more takes a lot more effort.