Not working on new Chromecast with Google TV (Android 12 OS)

tjlejeune
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

12 hours ago, McChen said:

Aaaaaand forget what I just said....for some reason I didn't see it earlier, but I see you already have beta programs setup for both the regular and android tv versions (yay!) :)

Yes but, unfortunately, our beta versions are subject to the same reviews as the production ones.  So even the beta hasn't been released yet.

Thanks for the Quick fix Emby. It's kind of shocking to see so many people Emby and Android TV users aren't aware how to sidelad apps. 

ricketyca

Joining in as I have experienced the same (non-starting issue with the Android TV app 2.0.79g) on Chromecast for Google TV. It looks as though a fix is imminent. I have not installed from anywhere except the Play Store, should I wait for that or can someone point me to how to achieve the install manually? 

I am not dependent on Emby for much as I have other streaming services I can watch and I also have an NVidia Shield on our main device. 

Is there likely to be a long delay before the beta escapes to the Play Store?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help, and to those who have so quickly detected and seemingly resolved the issue in the Beta.

Edited by ricketyca

dorinandreescu

So. It works with this method of sideloading from windows.

1. Download ADB from here (windows, mac, etc)

2. Download Emby APK from here (version 2.0.83g Registered)

3. After you downloaded those file, extract archive platform-tools_r33.0.3-windows.zip

4. In extracted folder copy the apk file, near adb.exe ...

5. Prepare you Google TV chromecast 4k. Enter on settings/system/about/ and click on android tv os build until you enter the developer mode

6. Enable USB debug

In windows (11) on the extracted folder with all the files (adb.exe, .apk file) right click (anywhere in the folder) and click open in terminal.

From the terminal window write like this ./adb connect YOURDEVICEIP:5555 (settings/network/YOURCONNECTION and you can see the ip). Must be in the same network your pc and chromecast. Does NOT matter if the pc is on cable or wireless. SAME network.

After this confirm on your screen (google tv) check the box with trust and click OK.

The last command will be ./adb install app-google-release.apk

After this will get a message with ... successful.

And done. You have sideloaded the last emby version, and everything works like a charm.

Have a nice day! Enjoy Emby.

P.S. NO NEED to install any aditional software, like file to tv, etc. It`s trusty method, no harmful.

Edited by dorinandreescu
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 4

trusselo

If i install the sideloaded beta version, will it update through play store when a newer version is released?

CharlieMurphy

Short answer, yes. Play store will install a higher version number when available, according to posts in this thread.

• Agree 1

FredrikT
On 21/10/2022 at 17:24, ebr said:

Yes but, unfortunately, our beta versions are subject to the same reviews as the production ones.  So even the beta hasn't been released yet.

Any update on beta or prod release for those of us not wanting to sideload? 

Ps. Casting now works, but is very choppy on my device (4k)

16 minutes ago, FredrikT said:

Any update on beta or prod release for those of us not wanting to sideload? 

We won't have any updates until they release it - unless it is rejected for some reason.  All we know is it is "in review".  Any attempt to find out any other information is met with boiler-plate responses of "some apps take longer to approve".

I can say that the last production review process took about 3 weeks.  It's been two weeks for the beta track and one week for production so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Solution

Emby for Android TV 2.0.83 is now live in the Google Play Store. Thank you all for being patient with this.

• Thanks 3

mrmorrison
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Emby for Android TV 2.0.83 is now live in the Google Play Store. Thank you all for being patient with this.

Thank you.
I tried to use sideload apps these days but on CCwGTV it is very slow and the navigation between the movie posters has a bug: pressing the button to go to the right, it moves upwards

bigw00kie

I am finding Android 12 upgrade troublesome. Although the emby app now loads and casting is back play back of H264 direct play with mostly DOLBY audio plays badly until I force transcoding by lower bitrate below direct play mbs.

This is through casting or through the emby app on google TV.

Casting the same files though an older Chromecast 4K are perfect on Wi-Fi or directly network connected.

• Like 1

FredrikT
19 hours ago, mrmorrison said:

Same problem. My H264 encoded videos are displayed with big stutter

Same here. Almost like a ppt presentation; H264 is unwatchable. Haven't tried with forced transcoding yet.

CharlieMurphy
On 10/26/2022 at 8:02 AM, mrmorrison said:

Same problem. My H264 encoded videos are displayed with big stutter

I had this and a power cycle fixed it at least temporarily.. I was hoping it was a fluke because it was the first start after updating. Y'all have tried a power cycle I assume?

FredrikT
On 27/10/2022 at 16:30, CharlieMurphy said:

I had this and a power cycle fixed it at least temporarily.. I was hoping it was a fluke because it was the first start after updating. Y'all have tried a power cycle I assume?

I only tried a restart, not a power cycle. Will try when I get back and report.

• Thanks 1

FredrikT

Power Cycle didn't work. Still can't play back mkvs. I'll try to look into if it affects all mkvs or just some. The same files works from my Android 13 phone though.

• Thanks 1

FredrikT
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Let us know what you find. Thanks.

So it's a bit strange. It seems that the only files that I'm having problem with are recently ripped movies that I ripped just a week or two ago... They play as expected on a Shield Pro, Android 13 phone and Emby Theater for Windows. I'm testing to rip these again with some other options to see if that helps. I've just started using makemkv to rip a few childrens movies I had laying around, so I haven't any other movies ripped the same way I think.

Any ideas what this could be? I'll keep trying a few things, such as with and without chapter ripping to see if that's the problem. The reason these are re-ripped are because I'm ripping them without English and just Norwegian audio and putting them in a specific Norwegian library so it's easy for the kids to watch the movies in a language they understand.

Edited by FredrikT

mrmorrison
10 hours ago, wordlover said:

Is this related to the Chromecast HD MKV playback and control problems reported here?  

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/113340-emby-chromecast-is-broken/&do=findComment&comment=1196564 

It doesn't seem to me that it's the same problem. My h264s freeze on a regular basis of about a second. Sounds like a codec problem.

• Like 1

FredrikT
5 hours ago, mrmorrison said:

It doesn't seem to me that it's the same problem. My h264s freeze on a regular basis of about a second. Sounds like a codec problem.

Mine is different. Only for some h264 the video freezes every other second. Audio is fine. Both with direct stream and transcoding. Logs on the server seems fine.

Edited by FredrikT

Distanasia

After Android TV update 4K content is not recognized anymore, the TV runs with the HD setting (1080p). Anyone else with this problem? Thanks!