Not working on new Chromecast with Google TV (Android 12 OS)

tjlejeune
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

tjlejeune

Just bought that new HD Chromecast with Google TV. The cheaper 30 dollar version that just came out. Emby just shows a black screen. Plex works.  Anyone else having this issue

• Agree 1

tjlejeune

Emby app won't load at all. Just straight to black screen. Tried reinstalling it and nothing. Tried just letting it sit for 5 minutes, nothing as well.  Device is running Android TV OS 12.  

Sorry to jump in but I'm having the exact same issue. Installed Emby for Android tv from play store, opened it once installed and all I get is a blank screen. You don't even get the option to set up anything the screen is just blank.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/chromecast-with-google-tv-hd

Edit. Emby version installed is the Emby for Android TV not the Emby for Android as it says its not compatible with the Chromecast with google HD

Edited by bluezog
Added which version of Emby installed

LegendaryDrogan
1 hour ago, bluezog said:

Ok, sideloading the Emby for Android works. 😀

Exact same issue with new Google TV. Exact same fix works. Emby for Android TV does not work on the new devices but sideloading Emby for Android does work 👍

• Thanks 1

Cdnnhicks

I just side-loaded the apk from the link above and it still does not work. Can someone post a link directly to the correct apk?

Cdnnhicks
19 hours ago, Luke said:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

What exactly does "does not work" mean?

You open the app and the screen goes black. I checked the logs for my emby server and the app isn't even hitting it.

I was able to side load version 2.0.70g from apkmirror and it works. This is apparently an issue with new versions of the google tv device and is being investigated.

2 hours ago, Cdnnhicks said:

You open the app and the screen goes black. I checked the logs for my emby server and the app isn't even hitting it.

I was able to side load version 2.0.70g from apkmirror and it works. This is apparently an issue with new versions of the google tv device and is being investigated.

What version number did you try that went black?

Strider27

Blank screen trying to run Emby for ATV on Chromecast with Google TV HD here as well ( Android TV OS: 12, Patch Level: 1 May 2022, OS Build: STFF.220621.013, Kernel: 5.4.125-android12-5-ge7236a78e234 #1 Thu Jul 7 10.52.25. UTC 2022)

Emby for Android TV (v 2.0.79g) blank screen on startup, no logo)

Emby For Android v 3.2.78 ( Sideloaded arm7 version) loads as intended, but issues with playback.

Edited by Strider27

Emby For Android v 3.2.78 ( Sideloaded arm7 version) loads as intended, but issues with playback.

What issue?

Strider27

Sorry didn't get into details as this thread was opened for the ATV version which is not loading at all.

The Non ATV version for example is trying to playback 4k hevc hdr10 source, directly (but the Chromecast tv hd is 1080p, and the avr it is connected to can't do hdr 10 to the projector further up) I'm assuming it should be transcoding in this case. As I'm getting blank screen during playback.

Changing Quality manually during playback, doesn't always work and the app sometimes crashes. Changing Quality to 1080p - 4mbps in settings seems to have helped but the quality is fairly bad, setting it to 1080p-5mbps starts playing in 4k -5mbps direct play, which is cause black screen and audio stutter etc. 

Audio Passthrough doesn't seem to work with some videos and is outputting some as PCM instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 etc.

As stated above, I don't expect the non ATV app to be fixed, as the app isn't for ATV and is missing some settings that are in the ATV version such as convert unsupported audio for passthrough, deinterlace etc., Was more posting that bit so you are aware that the alternative for the ATV version isn't fully functional either.

Edited by Strider27

Strider27

@Luke

Will most likely be returning the HD version and getting the 4k as it is not worth the headache over 30 euro.

While I have the HD version, feel free to let me know if you would like logs etc or some troubleshooting done for the Android TV App (will just have to let me know if it is possible to get them when the Emby ATV app isn't starting at all).

I'm guessing you are going to have to deal with this issue eventually as Android 12 gets rolled out to Chromecast with Google TV 4k version etc.

Might try to setup adb later and see what logcat is saying.

Edited by Strider27

Strider27

After further testing, can confirm Emby for ATV 2.0.70G is working fine. 2.0.77g and 2.0.79g get a blank screen on start-up.