Multiple Remote issues from Roku devices

Press1Now

Press1Now

Hello Everyone,

Need help with an issue that just start popping up. I'll provide as much information that I can, I have two remote user that are now getting the closed captioning box popping up. And on the emby dashboard I see both are also getting "Reducing bitrate due to quality setting" and another message something about converting closed caption into the stream or something like that. Both are on Roku devices one of them start about 2 weeks ago and the second started today. The second issue is when the remote users either switch channels or just turns off their TV's on the emby dashboards it shows that they stopped watching the channel, but it is still connected on the HDHomeRun Side ( This the is cable card tuner). I have to manually kill those connections every time.  When I play live tv locally I do not get any of these issue. Please let me know what other files I should upload or other question i need to answer.

Thank youPic1.png.3d724275b3946717a9535c60f315771c.pngPic2.png.e8e2d687773eb17bf5721ccd2379feb0.png

Happy2Play

@Press1Now The runaway stream is a common issue with the Roku as closing the app (Home button)/turning off the TV does not send a stop command to the server but should time out but not sure on how log it takes.

Probably need to see the ffmpeg for the playback session but if the stream has CC they will be sent to the client and may need to adjust the users subtitle settings.

Happy2Play

@Press1Now Devs will have to comment more but source has CC.  But CC and subtitle are two different things and CC is in the video track.

18:01:04.424   Stream #0:0[0x443]: Video: mpeg2video (Main) ([2][0][0][0] / 0x0002), yuv420p(tv, progressive), 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, Level 4, 59.94 fps, 59.94 tbr, 90k tbn, Start-Time 594.201s

But thought these were stripped in the transcode.

What is the Users Subtitle settings?

Happy2Play

@Press1Now As the note says what does the web client show for the Users-Subtitle settings?

As the admin you can check this for any user.

Settings-Users-select User and click "Edit this user's profile, image and personal preferences."-Subtitles

@ebr@speechlesthis applies to CC also, correct?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Press1Now said:

@Happy2Play Sorry about that under the User both boxes are unchecked Allow Subtitle downloading and Allow deletion of existing Subtitle files.

Still the wrong area as that is user setting.  You need to click the link on that page, then Subtitle on the menu

image.png.1d58db88665210c730f8f2d32d19a750.png

image.png.c8412cd0165f3363a648fc9aae44e7df.png

image.thumb.png.51e7941796f1728d2f85970b10986ad7.png

On 9/25/2022 at 6:20 PM, Press1Now said:

I have two remote user that are now getting the closed captioning box popping up.

Hi.  Exactly what do you mean here?  The closed captions are displaying for them?  Have they tried disabling them from the OSD during playback?

Press1Now
On 9/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly what do you mean here?  The closed captions are displaying for them?  Have they tried disabling them from the OSD during playback?

@ebr Up until two weeks ago, it was always off and all of a sudden it now on. On every channel, I verified that it is disabled on the OSD playback section of the settings. Not sure what else to check. I did sent a few logs in the previous post.   

Press1Now
On 9/25/2022 at 6:33 PM, Happy2Play said:

@Press1Now The runaway stream is a common issue with the Roku as closing the app (Home button)/turning off the TV does not send a stop command to the server but should time out but not sure on how log it takes.

Probably need to see the ffmpeg for the playback session but if the stream has CC they will be sent to the client and may need to adjust the users subtitle settings.

@Happy2PlayThe runaway stream does not time out, the remote user stopped watching a live channel last night around 8:54 PM and I had to kill that connection this morning at around 7:30AM. Any other options for this ? 

3 hours ago, Press1Now said:

I verified that it is disabled on the OSD playback section of the settings. Not sure what else to check

Use the "*" key to bring up the Roku playback options during playback.  Are closed captions enabled there?

3 hours ago, Press1Now said:

@Happy2PlayThe runaway stream does not time out, the remote user stopped watching a live channel last night around 8:54 PM and I had to kill that connection this morning at around 7:30AM. Any other options for this ? 

How, exactly, did they "stop watching the channel"?  If they simply turned off the TV, then the stream may have been continuing to play on the Roku device all that time.  You can have them enable the "Are you still watching prompt" in the app settings to prevent this.

Press1Now
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Use the "*" key to bring up the Roku playback options during playback.  Are closed captions enabled there?

How, exactly, did they "stop watching the channel"?  If they simply turned off the TV, then the stream may have been continuing to play on the Roku device all that time.  You can have them enable the "Are you still watching prompt" in the app settings to prevent this.

Pressing the  "*" shows it is enabled, they press the "*" to turn it off and when they switch channels it's back on again. And they have to turn it off again. It was never like this before, usually off is off. Which brings me to the next issue with @Happy2Play when switching channels the dashboard will show "Stopped Playing" and then playing another channel. The previous connection is still connected, tying up one of my 3 tuners on the HDHomeRun Prime until all the tuners are in a ghost connection. Even if I enable "Are you still watching" will that kill the connection on the HDHomeRun side? As far as if they turn off the TV is concerned of the two Roku users, one of them has a Roku built in TV and the other has an external device plugged into the HDMI port. The external Roku user and the built in Roku user both "Just turn the tv off" but up until two weeks ago when they just turned it off the connection would stop. If that makes any sense.

Hi.  I'm not sure what changed two weeks ago as there hasn't been an app or server update in that time.  Can you check the Roku settings to see if maybe it has one to always turn on CC?