I can't get it to run on windows 7

KHungus

Just like the title says. I run a comp as a server that uses windows 7 sp1 with all the updates (unless there is some specific KB I don't have), and I cannot get emby to run, either fresh install or the portable. The executable simply will not execute after installation. Is there any dependencies that I must have for this to run. I currently run plex on it without issue, but I'm looking for an rtsp solution.

Thanks.

Hello KHungus,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Um, all I could really add is that there is no log file, I've tried running it via batch and terminal with no luck. I even tried an older version with the same result: failure to launch the program. It doesn't run in the background or in the task manager. It simply will not run. Any other information I would be happy to answer.

rbjtech

Support for Windows 7 ended on Jan 2020

Why not use an up to date Operating System ?

I believe you can still get a 'free' upgrade to at least Windows 10 ...

• Like 1

pwhodges

Supposedly free upgrades ended years ago.  However, when I last tried (about a year ago) I simply installed Windows 10 and gave it my old Windows 7 Pro key and it accepted it.

Paul

• Agree 1

I am running windows 7 sp1 still. Hehe.

I even still run forward facing services pointing directly to the internet using windows 7 sp1.  😳

Could this be a .netcore installation issue?

Happy2Play

Windows 7 becomes problematic with its weak cipher suites that most servers' lockdowns remove.  So if Emby were to install it would probably have very limited capabilities.  Would have to look but know there are older topic discussing this as we had sent requests to TVDB to allow more cipher suites for this Windows 7 issue back when v4 api was release.

So things will only get worse for Windows 7 depending on what you are using it for.

Yeah, so, did you guys come here to try and help or just... shill? I have no interest in completely reformatting and debloating a system when my current one runs faster than the primary os I'm using now on better hardware. I also don't care about windows support. Especially just for one application that I want to try on it. I'm also not pro operating system gating, and understand that with the slight benefit I may get with one program, all the ones that require windows 7 will break--and I'm not about to replace those as well--it's unfeasible, and unrealistic. Only laziness doesn't allow for reverse compatibility unless the program is dead, and I have a lot of long dead ones. The practical solution when you want to hang a trinket on your car mirror isn't to get a new mirror.

But enough of that, the site says emby works on windows 7, right there under the downloads page and I'm here saying it doesn't. So I'd like to know which it is and am willing to test as needed to make it so.

3 hours ago, chef said:

I am running windows 7 sp1 still. Hehe.

I even still run forward facing services pointing directly to the internet using windows 7 sp1.  😳

Could this be a .netcore installation issue?

All of the dot net frameworks are install and c++ packages.

Edited by KHungus

Emby definitely needs sp1, but you say you have it.

Does the windows event log say anything from when you tried to install it? 

I know emby will work, which is why I posted here, because I am indeed still using win7 sp1 on my server.

Edited by chef

Happy2Play

Sorry but there is nothing Emby can do when moving forward with current technology.  But yes the requirement page will need updating if Windows 7 no longer works.

Will see if I still have a Windows 7 vm and test as no one tests on old platforms anymore.

@cayarsFYI requirements may need adjusting.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

I just looked at a vm Windows 7 Ultimate and it has a portable of 4.8+ on in that launches fine.

But do see issues with remote server rejecting it as it does not have the newer cipher suites required for Locked down Server policies.  So yes it can be installed but functionality will be limited to its lack of current technology requirements.

Question what Microsoft Visual C++ version do you have installed?

What version of Net Framework?

@happy2play Yes, the apathy toward it has been noted.

1 hour ago, chef said:

Emby definitely needs sp1, but you say you have it.

Does the windows event log say anything from when you tried to install it? 

I know emby will work, which is why I posted here, because I am indeed still using win7 sp1 on my server.

You are where my confusion to all of this lies. We can figure this out. It's just a matter of you having something I do not, or possibly something I have corrupted.
After running it again, I was able to produce a syslog:

.NET application failed. Application: EmbyServer.exe Path: C:\Users\shared\t\embyserver-win-x64-4.7.6.0\system\EmbyServer.exe Message: Failed to load the dll from [C:\Users\shared\t\embyserver-win-x64-4.7.6.0\system\hostfxr.dll], HRESULT: 0x80070057 The library hostfxr.dll was found, but loading it from C:\Users\shared\t\embyserver-win-x64-4.7.6.0\system\hostfxr.dll failed 

.net versions: 1. 1.1. 2, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.7.1
c++: 05, 08, 10, 12, 13, 15-2019 (all x86 & 64)

*I may try to reinstall dot net, but I'm not sure which emby tries to use, and I want to avoid any software conflicts.

@chef what dot nets do you have?

Edited by KHungus

Happy2Play

@KHungus Dev will have to comment more on how self contained Emby is but log shows .NET version.

2022-09-24 00:00:00.009 Info App: Application version: 4.7.6.0
2022-09-24 00:00:00.009 Info App: Emby
	Command line: A:\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19044
	Framework: .NET 6.0.7
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: A:/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 16

Version 6? There has a to be a pre-req somewhere, because 6 doesn't exist for anything below experimental, as far as I know. I think 4.8 is the last one(?).

Happy2Play

Not sure here

2022-09-24 17:45:42.071 Info Main: Application path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
2022-09-24 17:45:42.227 Info Main: Emby
	Command line: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Framework: .NET 6.0.9
	OS/Process: x86/x86
	Runtime: C:/Users/Media/Desktop/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 1
	Data path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\system
2022-09-24 17:45:42.227 Info Main: Logs path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\programdata\logs
2022-09-24 17:45:42.227 Info Main: Cache path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\programdata\cache
2022-09-24 17:45:42.227 Info Main: Internal metadata path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata
2022-09-24 17:45:42.227 Info Main: Transcoding temporary files path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp
2022-09-24 17:45:42.227 Info Main: Tray icon path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Emby-Server\system\embytray
2022-09-24 17:45:42.243 Info App: Application version: 4.8.0.9

image.png.cce798b0eb3014ed1f40d126d48805ea.png

Neither am I, but I will install 4.8, and give it a go.

*There is the req: .NET 4.8 & a security update: KB4457144, which resolves an occasional problem launching the hostfxr.dll

Now the server launches and can be seen in my browser and set up. As for the features working, that remains to be tested.

Edited by KHungus
  • Like 1

.net 6 is not .net framework.

".net 6" was what .netcore began calling itself.

Lookup .net 6 specifically, and not .net framework. 

• Like 1

...but the installation of .net 6 should have been taken care of when you installed the server... So that is strange.

Happy2Play

Thought the only dependency was Visual C++ as that would pop-up if not installed.

image.png.681e95247218d2fb28be30fa76fb6223.png

May have to look at a clean install when I get a chance.

But going forward I believe the Devs should update minimum requirements for Windows.

@Lukewhat is the hotfxr.dll that shows failed above?

• Agree 1

When a .net app is published it will create a runtime folder with a bunch of DLLs in it. 

I'm sure that windows updates would most likely handle installing certain runtimes on the machine for new version if windows.

Because it's win 7, the hotfxr.dll is probabaly a dependancy that emby figured might be available.

Instead of installing any portable version of Emby (which seems to be missing hotfxr) install from the download (not the portable one) on emby.media.

If you did try that before. I would try again.

At least at that point it should contain all the runtimes nesessary to run the server.

Edited by chef
  • Agree 1

It's hard to say unless I remove 4.8, but with what you just said, it may just be one of the components installed in the KB4457144 security patch, regardless of the .net core/version. Especially, if it's the same .dll launch issue I was having.

Either way, it's running now, and I can try to set up a rtsp solution...

Thanks for the input!

The .NET runtime is embedded into Emby Server, so you don't need to install that, but the runtime itself will have it's own dependencies that will have to be installed into the Windows operating system.

Newer versions of Windows will have this built-in, so maybe there is a required install step that we need to figure out and add to the instructions for installing on Windows 7.

You don't need the .net 4.8 runtime, but the installer for it probably installed something else that you do need, e.g. perhaps a newer visual c++ runtime, something along those lines.

• Agree 1

Windows 7 is 5 generations old at this point and no longer supported by Microsoft. Microsoft hasn't supported it in over 2.5 years as it ended support on January 14, 2020.
Windows 8 (4 generations old) ended support on January 12, 2016.
Windows 8.1 reaches end of support on January 10, 2023.

I personally don't think it's unreasonable for Emby to only support versions of software that the actual vendor itself is still supporting. Without vendor support there is no guarantee needed files will be available or updated properly. Microsoft is still currently supporting the last three versions of Windows (Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 11).

Edited by cayars
  • Agree 1

Without turning this into another dumb "no support" debate, I'll just let you know that not all people who use computers are stupid and rely on Microsoft's support to do what they do. Windows 7, much like my car from the 90's, no longer has anything made for it, but it runs fast, is stable, gets me where I want to be, has no useless frills, is as safe as I want to make it, and when it's broken can still be fixed. Some people may have a problem with that, but in the end what matters the most is what it can do for me, so they can keep their accessories out of my car.