Unraid Support

PhAzE

techywarrior

@@PhAzE Are you still working on an update that will allow us to select the update level of MB so we can select between dev, beta, and release?

• 2 weeks later...
techywarrior

So, just got back from my vacation and tried to update MB on unRAID. It says everything was fine and when I click to start MB it says it started but it immediately shuts down. In the unRAID, or console, there is no message but here are the MB logs. I don't know why it's creating 2 server logs and one crash log each time I try and launch MB either. I would expect there to be one server log and one crash log for each instance but that's not the case.

MB_logs.zip

Great that he's updating. Tell him to sign in here and respond to emails

He is supporting 17 different plugins for two different Unraid versions, version 5 (32-bit) and version 6 (64-bit) and the MB support is in Beta which may explain his lack of support here.

To be honest since I am also waiting for the UnRaid version to be stable and functioning before making the jump to MB3, I noticed that more users are inquiring in the Lime-tech support forum regarding MB support then here which maybe an additional reason for Phaze to limit his presence here. If there is a stable updatable MB version in place it only makes sense for him to list the latest version on the 1st page of a 56 page thread that he actively supports at the Lime-Tech site. One place to document all things UnRaid if the Linux MB version is solid and stable to be compiled for an UnRaid plugin.

Edited by One2Go

techywarrior

I can understand why he wouldn't want to read threads related to his plugins in 17 different places but not all users will know to look/post there. Also, I believe that, the issue I just reported here isn't related to his plugin but now I honestly don't know if anyone will actually look at it here and if it is an issue with the plugin I have to start all over again and post to the other thread and see about finding a fix.

At the moment it really sucks because MB won't start, I have no way to roll back to 3959 and I have no idea who should even be looking into the issue.. it could be days before I have MB working again.

I'm only assuming that the bug I ran into is not common with MB on unRAID because I don't see anyone else posting about it.

@@Luke

@@PhAzE

Can we at least determine if this is an issue with the command from the plugin or MB itself? Up till now we had no way of running the beta release on unRAID so hopefully this won't happen again but right now myself, and possibly everyone using MB on unRAID can't start it once they update.

Edited by techywarrior

He is supporting 17 different plugins for two different Unraid versions, version 5 (32-bit) and version 6 (64-bit) and the MB support is in Beta which may explain his lack of support here.

To be honest since I am also waiting for the UnRaid version to be stable and functioning before making the jump to MB3, I noticed that more users are inquiring in the Lime-tech support forum regarding MB support then here which maybe an additional reason for Phaze to limit his presence here. If there is a stable updatable MB version in place it only makes sense for him to list the latest version on the 1st page of a 56 page thread that he actively supports at the Lime-Tech site. One place to document all things UnRaid if the Linux MB version is solid and stable to be compiled for an UnRaid plugin.

I think it is stable but he hasn't stopped by in a while to get up to speed. There have been changes that I've been communicating to the package builders but I don't think he's read them yet.

techywarrior

Luke, I saw another person who used docker on unRAID having the exact same issue (I think) as I am having. I'm guessing then that the issue is not in PhAzE's plugin but something between the new build(s) and unRAID.

The log doesn't seem to have much direction or insight in it. Is there anything I can try or additional info you may need to pinpoint the issue?

His post in the UnRaid forum to techywarrior's post regarding crashes may shed some light on it.

It's a dependency issue, but I haven't looked at it yet. I've unfortunately got a family member in critical condition at the hospital for the last few weeks so i haven't been on the MB forums or working on the plugins too much lately.  When I get a change i'll have a look.

The hardest part about MB plugin is that everything on Luke's side is still very fluid and changing often. For example, now he doesn't include any of the dependencies, and the naming convention of his releases have changed two or three times already too so my regular expressions have trouble matching when those change.

What's interesting is that I just tested the plugin and it installed with version 3.0.5424.1 and started no problem on unraid 5.

Edited by One2Go

techywarrior

I just responded to him on the unRAID forum. I wish the log was more informative. Maybe it only happens on upgrades, maybe it's a plugin that is causing the issue, maybe it's some random thing. The log points to a MB function but it doesn't really say what called the function and what object it was trying to dispose when the crash happened. So really the problem could be that the dispose function isn't properly checking for an object or that it's being called on a non-object someplace else and fixing the dispose function will fix the crash but leave bad code someplace else... or maybe like Phaze says it's just a dependency issue (but then why does it not effect everyone?)

techywarrior

So, I did some testing while waiting for Phaze and/or Luke to find a solution. I renamed my config directory and tried essentially a fresh install (I didn't change the install directory but that gets overwritten so I didn't think it would effect anything).

The plugin said it installed the latest version of MBS but when I looked at the folder it created in the config location it was missing the plugins folder (pretty sure that's not needed on initial install) as well as (and much more importantly) the system folder. I still don't know why but I can now guess why it was crashing before. Since the System folder was from 5395 it was probably crashing due to a mix of files from 5395 and 5424.

I don't know what difference there would be on my system then on people who have done a clean install (unless you think I should wipe out the install folder as well and test again). I'm also not sure why that would be the case as it appears that everything of importance is in the System folder and if that was still 5395 then it just should have run as 5395 after the attempted update.

@@Luke would the uncompression and moving of files, etc. be part of the MB install script or Phaze's script? Maybe the problem is in MB somewhere? If it was a dependency wouldn't everyone who tried to install it on unRAID have the same problem?

I'm sort of at a loss as to what else I can try to figure out where the problem is. And why not everyone is having it.

Edited by techywarrior

Hey, just to update everyone, i've been in the hospital the last few weeks with a family member, so my presence everywhere has been reduced to only fixing actual plugin issues. I have updated the download location and fixed the Stable / Beta selection already.

My plugin already handles all the dependencies separately so seeing that the new version removes those, won't affect my plugin.  I have however noted that media info was added, so I will update the plugin today to include that also. I'm also chancing the plugin now to use the -programdata switch isntead of editing the config file so it's easier to manage.  Aside from that, when i install it on a fresh unraid 5 and unraid 6, it installs and starts up fine.

I've been working with techywarrior on the unraid forums to try and resolve this problem for him. What's strange is that I see that error in my log files also, but the server still starts up normally. I can't seem to replicate the exact issue Techy is having where it won't start up at all.

@@techywarrior - when i update the plugin later today, give it a try and see if it will start or if we see any changes int eh log files.  Also, are you installing the stable or the beta?

Edited by PhAzE

The error message showing in the log files happens specifically when using the -v (version) option it seems.

Error, Main, UnhandledException
        Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        System.NullReferenceException
          at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1[MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.ServerApplicationPaths].Dispose (Boolean dispose) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1[MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.ServerApplicationPaths].Dispose () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnhandledException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object
System.NullReferenceException
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1[MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.ServerApplicationPaths].Dispose (Boolean dispose) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1[MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.ServerApplicationPaths].Dispose () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This error is actually caused when i run the version check commend -v using mono instead of mono-service and it can't find the working directory.  In the next plugin update I will change it so it uses mono-service to check the version also, and then I will have Techy check to see if he has other log errors that I can use to help track down the issue.

Techy has now done a fresh unraid install and he now has a working mb install again.  He listed to me all the other plugins and installed items he had but nothing stood out as a culprit for the problem. With that in mind, it doesn't look to be a problem with the plugin itself causing the issue as he now also has it up and running.  

There must have been some setting or environment variable that was causing his issue but since MB had no errors logged, and just terminated, its ard to track down what the root cause was.

techywarrior

It actually crashed again with no log again after I added all my plugins in MB and it started a library scan. I've narrowed it down to the GameBrowser plugin. It only happens after the GameBrowser systems are added and a library scan gets to the games. I removed GameBrowser and the scan has now completed with no crash.

This wasn't a problem in 3959 and I don't think GameBrowser has been updated in a little while so I don't know where the issue has come from. Is there any new/different handling of the library scan in 5424?

Luke, @@Redshirt any ideas?

Redshirt

GB hasn't changed in a century, as you pointed out. It's not a definitive answer but I'm using the mono-friendly file access methods in server, perhaps there was a change there.

techywarrior

I'll try and play around with it some more and see if I can pinpoint it to a specific game type or file type or something else but at the moment I just removed the Games folder from the library.

The funny thing is, after I found that it was something with GB I thought that I could then go back to my old install, disabled GB, upgrade and everything would work. But that caused the same problem.

I need to spend a little time configuring things again (even with ebr's backup/restore plugin there are still things I need to manually edit/configure again) but if I have some time in the next couple of days, or after the holiday, I'll try adding GB and maybe 1 game system at a time and see what more info I can get.

• 1 month later...
nuahsocramid

I'm a very "green" unraid user. I've been using Plex currently but interested in trying Media Browser. I have the plugin installed and functioning...have succesfully added my media folders...successfully streamed to my Roku units. My questions are around the "configuration" setting. Specifically the config directory, custom images directory, custom cache directory, custom metadata directory, and custom transcode directory. What are they used for/mean? Mine are all currently blank. Also, after installing I have a warning message that stats "your config directory is not persistant and will not servive a reboot. Please locate the directory on disk for persistancy.". I've searched for a " how to" or setup guides with zero luck. Would someone be able to either point me in the right direction or lend me a hand? Thank you in advance for your time and efforts. 

moved to new thread.  sorry

Edited by nuahsocramid

• 1 month later...

This doesn't work any more, you will need to edit the .plg, replace line 134 - 136:

<FILE Name="/boot/packages/libwebp-0.4.0-x86_64-1ponce.txz" Run="upgradepkg --install-new">
<URL>http://ponce.cc/slackware/slackware64-14.1/packages/libwebp-0.4.0-x86_64-1ponce.txz</URL>
<MD5>3a5cefc8cbe84b43435ba6fefb2440dd</MD5>
with
<FILE Name="/boot/packages/libwebp-0.4.2-x86_64-2ponce.txz" Run="upgradepkg --install-new">
<URL>http://ponce.cc/slackware/slackware64-14.1/packages/libwebp-0.4.2-x86_64-2ponce.txz</URL>
<MD5>b6b6722a7e5a5f765d3421de3c43dbd6</MD5>

Hope this helps anyone else trying to install it.

This is at least the case for Unraid 6, I would assume it's the same for Unraid 5

Edited by Kode

• 3 weeks later...
PhAzE

That's actually for the old plugin. The new v2 plugin is updated and supported. Check the unraid forums for the plugin page