iNotify errors

ProNetGuru
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

ProNetGuru

I've installed this plugin last night and while I can confirm it is doing what it's supposed to (combining movies across different libraries) I'm seeing an extreme performance hit.  

I'm running Emby 4.7.6 on a Synology DS1621xs+, and Emby rarely uses more than  3-4GB RAM.  I installed the plugin at ~10pm last night, and by mid-day today, the Emby process had consumed ~22GB of RAM but it was still responsive.  Unfortunately, I couldn't look into it further due to work, but by 8pmtonight, Emby was totally unresponsive.  None of my clients (Android TV, Shield, FireTV, Android Mobile) could connect, and the web interface timed out.  I couldn't stop the service via Package Manager or API, and ended up needing to reboot my Synology to get it functioning normally again. 

I suspect my issue is due to a ridiculous amount of content being scanned across multiple libraries.  Is there a way to exclude certain libraries that I don't want combined from being scanned/collected to test this theory?

Here are some snippets from my log:

2022-09-22 20:26:57.454 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/Movies
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.6.0
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build2) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42661 SMP Mon Jun 27 15:07:23 CST 2022
	Framework: .NET 6.0.2
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
	Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
	System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (128) on the number of inotify instances has been reached, or the per-process limit on the number of open file descriptors has been reached.
	   at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.StartRaisingEvents()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor.<>c__DisplayClass37_0.<StartWatchingPath>b__0()
	Source: System.IO.FileSystem.Watcher
	TargetSite: Void StartRaisingEvents()
2022-09-22 20:26:57.458 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/Emby/DVR
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build2) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42661 SMP Mon Jun 27 15:07:23 CST 2022
	System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (128) on the number of inotify instances has been reached, or the per-process limit on the number of open file descriptors has been reached.
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor.<>c__DisplayClass37_0.<StartWatchingPath>b__0()
2022-09-22 20:26:57.551 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/VOD/Movies
	*** Error Report ***
2022-09-22 20:26:58.173 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/Movies4K
	*** Error Report ***
2022-09-22 20:26:58.173 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/VOD/Series
	*** Error Report ***

3 minutes ago, ProNetGuru said:

I've installed this plugin last night and while I can confirm it is doing what it's supposed to (combining movies across different libraries) I'm seeing an extreme performance hit.  

I'm running Emby 4.7.6 on a Synology DS1621xs+, and Emby rarely uses more than  3-4GB RAM.  I installed the plugin at ~10pm last night, and by mid-day today, the Emby process had consumed ~22GB of RAM but it was still responsive.  Unfortunately, I couldn't look into it further due to work, but by 8pmtonight, Emby was totally unresponsive.  None of my clients (Android TV, Shield, FireTV, Android Mobile) could connect, and the web interface timed out.  I couldn't stop the service via Package Manager or API, and ended up needing to reboot my Synology to get it functioning normally again. 

I suspect my issue is due to a ridiculous amount of content being scanned across multiple libraries.  Is there a way to exclude certain libraries that I don't want combined from being scanned/collected to test this theory?

Here are some snippets from my log:

2022-09-22 20:26:57.454 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/Movies
	*** Error Report ***
2022-09-22 20:26:57.458 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/Emby/DVR
	*** Error Report ***
2022-09-22 20:26:57.551 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/VOD/Movies
	*** Error Report ***
2022-09-22 20:26:58.173 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/Movies4K
	*** Error Report ***
2022-09-22 20:26:58.173 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/VOD/Series
	*** Error Report ***

Hi there, please attach the complete server log file. Thanks.

• Solution
Happy2Play

@ProNetGuruSplit to own topic as this error have nothing to do with plugins as you need to change inotify on the platform.

But if there is further issues, we can change the title and provide server log for further investigation.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

ProNetGuru

I implemented the RTM fix on my Synology, so that will hopefully resolve 1 issue.  That still doesn't explain why my memory utilization skyrocketed as I've been running Emby on the same equipment for nearly a year without issue.  The only thing that changed in my configuration was the addition of the AutoCollection.dll plugin.  

That said, I'm going to be traveling for the next 2 weeks, so I've temporarily removed the plugin since I don't want to incur family wrath if I can't remotely reset/fix Emby.  I'll try testing the plugin again in a few weeks when I return and post a reply if I continue to experience the same symptoms.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
ProNetGuru

Performing the RTM fix seemed to resolve the runaway memory usage on the embyserver process.  Everything appears to be working normally for the last several weeks.

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1