[iOS] Slow playback start - "Recovering from playback error" error

Gecko
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hello guys,

I discovered a strange behavior using Emby iOS app recently after changing my nginx setup and doing some tests. It seems that for some times now, playback from iOS app is always triggering a "recovering from playback error" whenever I start a stream (either locally directly from Emby server's IP, locally through proxy or remotely through proxy).

Every playback started from the iOS app takes a while to start and creates 4 transcode sessions in the logs but I cannot find why. If, going through web app, no playback error is triggered and the streaming starts immediately (with only one transcode session created in the logs).

Attached are the logs for a single playback session started from iOS. I rotated the logs just before. Can someone look for some clues as fro why this behavior occurs? I'm directly connected to Emby server for this test, so my proxy is not involved at all.

EDIT: Here are the differences I found in all 3 failed transcode sessions vs the successful one :

Tentative #1 :

• No DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false in url
  • 0.ts instead of 638.ts
  • ffmpeg not using -ss 00:31:54.000 (I was resuming a movie)

Tentative #2 : 

• No DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false in url
  • Everything seems to be the same

Tentative #3 :

• 0.ts instead of 638.ts
  • ffmpeg not using -ss 00:31:54.000 (I was resuming a movie)

It seems that the app is trying something with various parameters before falling back to the correct transcode session where DirectPlay and StreamCopy are not usable and started at the correct movie position.

I assume this is normal behaviour for a mpv app that is trying to avoid transcoding at all costs. As the quality has been manually set to a specific value, can't those checks be skipped, remembered or hasten ? I think Emby does know the movie's bitrate before starting any Session so it should know that DirectPlay and StreamCopy isn't possible in this scenario right ?

Many thanks for your help solving this !

Gecko

ffmpeg-transcode-51f02f5f-663a-4400-bdc2-6b297cbf05ba_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a1c7b4d6-3ae2-49ab-a67c-9797a23a5f67_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c5e88388-3dc2-4eb2-8d10-66394d8d9972_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c634fe9b-a555-4e06-8f70-cec086972c0b_1.txt embyserver-12.txt

Edited by nSGecko
Comparing all transcoding files

Hi @Luke,

Like i said, i’m directly connected to emby server, but i noticed the issue because i change my proxy.

and yes i followed the recommended nginx config topic ;)

I copied the nginx config from the forum but activated buffering because i had subtitles out of sync.

web app through proxy is working like a charm but iOS app is triggering 4 transcode sessions instead of one as explained above :)

Ok so after some more trials, the issue is not linked to the iOS app because I get the same error on the web app when I playback a mkv file from various browser and when the quality setting is set to a bitrate higher than the mkv's bitrate :

Stream
MKV (1 mbps)
 -> HLS (3 mbps 365 fps)
Converting to compatible container
Recovering from playback error
Video
1080p HEVC
Main 120 1 mbps 23.976 fps
 -> Transcode (H264 3 mbps)
Dropped Frames 0
Corrupted Frames 0
Audio
English AC3 stereo
192 kbps 48000 Hz

When asking for a bitrate lower than the file's bitrate, the transcode kicks in and no error to report :

Stream
MKV (1 mbps)
  -> HLS (1,000 kbps 1029 fps)
Reducing bitrate due to quality setting
Video
1080p HEVC
Main 120 1 mbps 23.976 fps
  -> Transcode (H264 808 kbps)
Dropped Frames 0
Corrupted Frames 0
Audio
English AC3 stereo
192 kbps 48000 Hz

@softworkz maybe you have an idea what's happening here ?

EDIT: ok, i figure it out : When the source media is HEVC and no subtitles needs to be burned in and no quality reduction is needed, then the "Recovering from playback error" occurs. Files encoded in h264 or even and old MPEG2 is playing fine. Question is: why is there an error with HEVC?

Edited by nSGecko

Hey! I also have the error since version 2.2.5 on iOS. I have the error on the beta version and on the stable version of the server whether locally or through my reverse proxy.

On the other hand, I also have the error on a media in h264 and HEVC but I have the impression I don't have the error when the audio is in stereo.

16 hours ago, Bagul said:

Hey! I also have the error since version 2.2.5 on iOS. I have the error on the beta version and on the stable version of the server whether locally or through my reverse proxy.

On the other hand, I also have the error on a media in h264 and HEVC but I have the impression I don't have the error when the audio is in stereo.

Hi @Bagul,

When the error occurs, did the auto-start works or do you see the play/pause button in the middle of the screen switch back and forth and just wait that you click on it to start playback ?
I was wondering for months why some videos auto started and some others not, but now I wonder if this is not because of this error. I disabled the option "Allow changing of container formats, if necessary, during media playback" and noticed improvements for that issue. I still get the error but the video autostart every time now.

Edited by nSGecko
tagging bagul

8 hours ago, nSGecko said:

Hi @Bagul,

When the error occurs, did the auto-start works or do you see the play/pause button in the middle of the screen switch back and forth and just wait that you click on it to start playback ?
I was wondering for months why some videos auto started and some others not, but now I wonder if this is not because of this error. I disabled the option "Allow changing of container formats, if necessary, during media playback" and noticed improvements for that issue. I still get the error but the video autostart every time now.

I can't tell you. I have noticed this with my users. I don't watch video with my iPhone.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you able to test it on your phone to try and reproduce?

Yes, but like I said, the issue is not tied to iOS. I also have it under web app on multiple browser.

Logs and dashboard info attached. "Recovering from playback error" does not appears immediately if that helps.

Capture d’écran 2022-10-12 à 09.31.30.pngCapture d’écran 2022-10-12 à 09.31.40.png

ffmpeg-transcode-4fa05bd3-a2ae-4416-a10a-031776178e71_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e58d4b7a-ca28-4394-9622-801a38110d4d_1.txt embyserver-14.txt

Edited by nSGecko

Chiefmas
On 9/28/2022 at 5:38 AM, nSGecko said:

Question is: why is there an error with HEVC?

I just searched to see what the deal was with this error. I don't think it's HEVC related, I have a user playing back right this moment on an iPhone, H.264, with AC3 audio, and it says it's direct playing both streams. The only conversion happening is to HLS, so maybe something in that? HLS remuxing seems to be the commonality between all of us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

@Luke Yes, just tell me when you have time to look at it and I can provide you anything you need.

FrostByte
28 minutes ago, hnorgaar said:

Tried but it is 32 bit and wont work on Nvidia Shield @FrostByte

Use the 64bit file if you have anything other than the tube.  You will have to go directly to GitHub to get it.  I've been using it for months on mine.

Emby.Releases/android at master · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases (github.com)

the file you're look for is 

emby-android-google-arm64-v8a-release.apk

Edited by FrostByte

21 minutes ago, Luke said:

This sounds to me like reverse proxy configuration. Have you taken a look at this?

I have the problem locally and @nSGecko mentioned it in his first post "either locally directly from the Emby server IP, locally via a proxy or remotely via a proxy"

Chiefmas
On 10/27/2022 at 3:25 PM, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

My people on iPhones(where I was seeing the issue) haven't been on recently, so I can't report on if I'm still seeing the issue or not myself. I'm still watching for it though.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Tested right now on my iphone directly connected to emby. Latest version of everything. The error message is still there as reported here:

How can I sideload an android app on an iPhone ? I never had this error on my shield for example (at least, never saw it)

pir8radio
On 11/7/2022 at 12:34 AM, nSGecko said:

Tested right now on my iphone directly connected to emby. Latest version of everything. The error message is still there as reported here:

How can I sideload an android app on an iPhone ? I never had this error on my shield for example (at least, never saw it)

you can't ios and android totally different.