QNAP Nvidia Driver Update / GPU is not available anymore

Lexizilla

image.png.8845a6fb70cbc2c298b902087b1f7861.png

I have no specific knowledge about Nvidia drivers on Qnap, but what I know is that you always need to perform the full Nvidia driver installation - especially for CUDA.

So I would go to the Nvidia web site and follow the instruction for Linux driver installation.

Lexizilla

Hi,

QNAP or all other NAS Devices are cabsoluated systems.  You are not able to install any driver manually like on normal Windows or Linux System.
QNAP updated to version 5.01 of QTS ( the operating System ) and as next they Updated the nvidia Driver and nvidia Kernel Driver ( link in the first post )

From Jellyfin I know, that it expect a special CUDA version, if that is not in place, you will get a similiar error on Emby LOG File.
example: Emby expeect CUDA 11.x and looking on the folder structur of 11.x, but not it is version 16.x in a different folder...

I downgrad my QNAP NAS and use now the older QTS 5.0.0 and the older nvidia driver again. Thats works for now. But that can´t be the solution. Updating the NAS is important.
Also updating the nvidria is important to getting more devices compatible etc....

Thanks
Alex

Lexizilla

Hi,

I upgraded to 5.0.1 again for more testing. 
It look like that after Driver Upgrade from QNAP, one special folder is missing: /dev/nvidia0

I created a ticket by QNAP right now and will kepp you inform

Thanks

ALex

Edited by Lexizilla
  • Thanks 1

Lexizilla

HI,

i investige a bit by my own and got an answer from Qnap support.
It seems to be an issue by the new driver version.
there is one special folder /dev/dri/nvidia0 missing. That is not the first time after QNAP updated the nvidia driver.

On Plex support forum, the issue is also in discussion and Plex is already in contact with QNAP. 
Hope to get a new Driver version as soon as possible, that will fix it.

For now the only solution is to deinstall the driver and the kernel manually, disable automatic app update and install the older version manually. (via SSH ) ALso install must be done manually. ( via SSH )
Or, more easier way:
deinstall driver and downgrade to QTS 5.0.0. Update all apps and install the nvidia Driver. When done, update to QTS 5.0.1, but let auto App update disable. 
In that case you can use the new QTS version, but still the older and working nvidia driver

Alex

• Thanks 2

Ikario
On 10/2/2022 at 6:19 PM, Lexizilla said:

HI,

i investige a bit by my own and got an answer from Qnap support.
It seems to be an issue by the new driver version.
there is one special folder /dev/dri/nvidia0 missing. That is not the first time after QNAP updated the nvidia driver.

On Plex support forum, the issue is also in discussion and Plex is already in contact with QNAP. 
Hope to get a new Driver version as soon as possible, that will fix it.

For now the only solution is to deinstall the driver and the kernel manually, disable automatic app update and install the older version manually. (via SSH ) ALso install must be done manually. ( via SSH )
Or, more easier way:
deinstall driver and downgrade to QTS 5.0.0. Update all apps and install the nvidia Driver. When done, update to QTS 5.0.1, but let auto App update disable. 
In that case you can use the new QTS version, but still the older and working nvidia driver

Alex

It should be /dev/nvidia0 not /dev/dri/nvidia0, this is not a regular directory but rather files that basically represent the devices.  is /dev/nvidia0 not there? If so, do you have ANY nvidia related files in /dev/?

EDIT: Just noticed that the first post said /dev/nvidia0 while the second one says /dev/dri/nvidia0.  Question still stands though, is there any reference to nvidia in /dev ?

Edited by Ikario

Lexizilla

sorry,

you are right by the folder structure.

Fact was, that the needed nvidia0 folder and files was missing and QNAP already confirmed that issue and went back to the older GPU Driver version

When i understand it correct, there is a Nvidia linux Kernel and a nvidia Driver. Bith have to been on the sam driver version.
Qnap updated the Driver to  515, but the Kernel is still based on the older 460 Driver version. 

testing is now not possible anymore, because qnap removed the "new" driver version from app store

Ikario

Oh, ok, because I thought I had a solution to the crapped out driver but if it's not even online there's really no point in testing it.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, King Pin said:

Apparently from what I read on reddit Latest Firmware 5.0.1.2194 Build 20221022 fixed the Nvidia issue.  

That's great to hear. Thanks for following up.