Playing from Emby Playlist

nuentes

I've recently started using Emby playlists more (because of the Smart Playlists plugin). So I've built several playlists that work perfectly in Emby. In Kodi, I've added some of the playlists as widgets to my home screen (Arctic Zephyr Resurrection). These are the issues I'm having from this scenario:

• If I select Menu -> Info, Sometimes the Information will be blank (this is mostly happening with Episode playlists. Haven't noticed it with Movies yet)
  • When playing items from the playlist, if I pause or bring up the OSD, the Title and Description don't appear. The title appears as "embyvideodynamic-.....", and there is no Description or cover art.
  • If play a video that is in progress, it will play from the beginning and will not ask if I want to resume

I am on Kodi 19.3 and was using emby for kodi next gen 6.2.15, but upgraded to 6.2.20 and am seeing the same issues.

quickmic
On 9/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, nuentes said:

I've recently started using Emby playlists more (because of the Smart Playlists plugin). So I've built several playlists that work perfectly in Emby. In Kodi, I've added some of the playlists as widgets to my home screen (Arctic Zephyr Resurrection). These are the issues I'm having from this scenario:

• If I select Menu -> Info, Sometimes the Information will be blank (this is mostly happening with Episode playlists. Haven't noticed it with Movies yet)
  • When playing items from the playlist, if I pause or bring up the OSD, the Title and Description don't appear. The title appears as "embyvideodynamic-.....", and there is no Description or cover art.
  • If play a video that is in progress, it will play from the beginning and will not ask if I want to resume

I am on Kodi 19.3 and was using emby for kodi next gen 6.2.15, but upgraded to 6.2.20 and am seeing the same issues.

Can you please try 7.x and check if it's fixed there.

• 1 month later...
nuentes

Apologies for the delay, but I have finally updated to 7.9.4.

1. If I select Menu -> Info, Sometimes the Information will be blank (this is mostly happening with Episode playlists. Haven't noticed it with Movies yet)
    I haven't seen this happen again. However, the Genre is always blank on these.
  2. When playing items from the playlist, if I pause or bring up the OSD, the Title and Description don't appear. The title appears as "embyvideodynamic-.....", and there is no Description or cover art.
    This is still very much the case
  3. If play a video that is in progress, it will play from the beginning and will not ask if I want to resume
    I have not been able to test this yet, but can get back to you.
Edited by nuentes
  • Like 1

nuentes

Also, completely unrelated, but I tried to cache artwork (I really like that I can now select what artwork to cache), and I got a prompt that said my disk was low on space, so it didn't do it. I know there was sufficient space on there, but I cleared 2GB off the disk anyway and tried again, and got the same message. I use path substitution, so the artwork is located on a NFS share. What drive space is being used to determine if there is sufficient space? Because my OS has under 1GB free, so I feel like Emby is seeing my OS is low on space, and not checking the actual destination disk, which has plenty of space.

• Like 1

quickmic
On 11/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, nuentes said:
  1. When playing items from the playlist, if I pause or bring up the OSD, the Title and Description don't appear. The title appears as "embyvideodynamic-.....", and there is no Description or cover art.
    This is still very much the case

I need exact information here. I tested again and works nicely here.

As usual, is it synced content, what kind of content, how to you trigger the playback, native or addon mode, are the infos available on emby server all those details.

nuentes
On 11/4/2022 at 1:50 PM, quickmic said:

I need exact information here. I tested again and works nicely here.

As usual, is it synced content, what kind of content, how to you trigger the playback, native or addon mode, are the infos available on emby server all those details.

Alright, I'll try to hit everything.

This is happening with both Episode and Movie content synced from Emby. My content is synced in Native mode. The nfo files are all available in emby server.

Here is what I see when I pause a video that I opened from this specific context (An Emby Playlist of either episodes or movies added to my homescreen as a widget). This is the movie "Gremlins":

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/r4-VFLXRgs1ctHgEF9AIy_lQauCYRjQKBlOAqjc5trxW7N_yAI4EgINZ-ESI9S1_mwFoGo7nLVL338nxtNieO4m5WY6fB_x5EyvntLH7j18avEfEoTe2nKT-S4Ui8x0C5hUC4wQgWuabiHtSl2sf3vyd0gIpSzlvm-roOyZ2tZIHg9PVCBz1DR1pBxTVr1W5ij4BolIWCnQq-_AHIQ-1rJx8i3CribNABRUZl1OIjShyTt2Xt0exIafXvirD6mF0aEpE9cB9VTKH4q-Dhx6UYfy94Nrh8k6exKhCKSWg7GeA-Oi8vH9deB6_AEhHSE8OeHenPr_eDl8RLJdh_pByLF0KpFGh8YAwfxJ_goBiVnLwCT1AHOb1NfL6_Y7RWhlQHX0wIfhR2MFalEWkveFKEo-4QJtXgaBuYfFBuMqMF7njDND-LMxaUK0cYtZqeHUsCoOvScSH-6luq42xl28g2NPxOBodcIvE0FUAjXAM-tlW40d-4MgaOubBA9bDNkFbK65RfyGG573gk7SOw0O7Aw7PXx11Ak_CqpjBAjKfIwSkwCC9XemleSjYaOgaoJQwGQ4h2uAxkI49fhw50OWLQ1AMPxVEgNTfCEwdmiA63U5hdEfSE-XnfrREFAx-HIKnOMTxFF3DtRCty1pZCPpmMvu823R9x0s4gnIYA0hNnXZHdk8veyUKsuz-op0TyjRHrBXCBm0-iJ4Ka3agSqfCyL8Uns0sxeFwcKXJ12lXkLERZ4Bj1p1eu32BXIbhXZhvZshu96Cdz6TunASInHybamwpWRjm15YHjL4WApusUSY_opb2tb1Zc4iyQLApiDMsYBTXUck5U0MFWwxmHMWjrV-kbjjEjvW2d12IgdXjzkIUfnBdAkXu-f9BZnZ1ILO4R9s9dJbb1Htb0LJfSbjSmdseZxs_XWldJtWZEzf9qfFluQ=w1236-h928-no?authuser=0

And here is  what it looks like when I play the movie from the standard Movie Node:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fGqSe40s0aAw2NkHM1p2AnyBu-MFWA36dY4dt_IP0T3DBNZzOW25O3ZuLzh_iPatm_R0S4jnhM5DJ3UNDB1gpAXVlt4X02DLxa4osdwYjQ3vVN8KGdIT4SwdzRKpTVrb-v4nwr8f1t0goO7UmdNb5UQTp1dTuqEYjAHCeASmznbaQS6v_a1NK7gRoZ57tSgAasFMFc4y8PXMNS0l4aAz9ip7NXDmQ9QMNHrqzVk6ypO1zuNx2dqYcD5kjWgW3Re7U73V-nabLL0DHyCShhoGCaDhJEY3czEJQ3cVyTuXjQxWlBUDEj2ZEYTKPLz-sQbKxoaHPj_a9eTaQlgYWjdBo5xtfHvEwc0P6vPLisfQ-YBs4ic03c_TkuKmYozQPg95sSpMmUmuZ-rwpJM-BTwWaoEEjVNxulEvjAKTpZF4Oj5plo6FocpjAQQ1B2LvkkjTzxZuT2uPOkEwL9Bo8OHFbUg0N6yYFRk2rTThr5kzGezeoOVrvGthyiYyTrrY1XIwWroI1DFHOpNCIj97cTh262xNi3i3sHhHgtaPWc0Od3LvShlVa_YuZewT4ZcsGengnbEVHla6ZYQYQmnPQ-VV3T-jQVkUa5pMxWZgD4CdZhmnQOzn88u8khvxOsLNBy1zpVKQutKdxdYvRanyNTFruH9sS6XG7mtELc09aNUEKX9ME7ag2ahAdMclI3nx7hPlAPoRajiXADGywfo1TaQDTf_dV2C2LH4HukPAKHQOrUf40jg1B6xFc-m-f9UKHgvea4sgkOyOz7ndWb-GqpHy1o04qR-jfYfubgwNGtaP5483ZL17H2tN7rLpoHlHZfDgKQfKP37y3t-FK5LXfqnM3h_EkhEyxLmxlye5agc07dnWRdKBhW1HnBv8WeFrypEP9IIq248PGLFwY273u2K3HCk7OXpj5gvmKQpXVfVB0XeYGw=w1236-h928-no?authuser=0

When I played both of these, Emby server displayed the exact same message:

image.png.7d01199c0d3bf49b1e9e595cd6e570cd.png

As a test, I also tried to play this exact movie from directly in the Emby for Kodi app via the Dynamic -> Playlists, and the video played perfectly fine. All metadata appeared perfectly fine. It is just and issue when I play a video from the widget context.

Please let me know whatever other information you need!

quickmic
On 11/7/2022 at 2:19 PM, nuentes said:

Alright, I'll try to hit everything.

This is happening with both Episode and Movie content synced from Emby. My content is synced in Native mode. The nfo files are all available in emby server.

Here is what I see when I pause a video that I opened from this specific context (An Emby Playlist of either episodes or movies added to my homescreen as a widget). This is the movie "Gremlins":

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/r4-VFLXRgs1ctHgEF9AIy_lQauCYRjQKBlOAqjc5trxW7N_yAI4EgINZ-ESI9S1_mwFoGo7nLVL338nxtNieO4m5WY6fB_x5EyvntLH7j18avEfEoTe2nKT-S4Ui8x0C5hUC4wQgWuabiHtSl2sf3vyd0gIpSzlvm-roOyZ2tZIHg9PVCBz1DR1pBxTVr1W5ij4BolIWCnQq-_AHIQ-1rJx8i3CribNABRUZl1OIjShyTt2Xt0exIafXvirD6mF0aEpE9cB9VTKH4q-Dhx6UYfy94Nrh8k6exKhCKSWg7GeA-Oi8vH9deB6_AEhHSE8OeHenPr_eDl8RLJdh_pByLF0KpFGh8YAwfxJ_goBiVnLwCT1AHOb1NfL6_Y7RWhlQHX0wIfhR2MFalEWkveFKEo-4QJtXgaBuYfFBuMqMF7njDND-LMxaUK0cYtZqeHUsCoOvScSH-6luq42xl28g2NPxOBodcIvE0FUAjXAM-tlW40d-4MgaOubBA9bDNkFbK65RfyGG573gk7SOw0O7Aw7PXx11Ak_CqpjBAjKfIwSkwCC9XemleSjYaOgaoJQwGQ4h2uAxkI49fhw50OWLQ1AMPxVEgNTfCEwdmiA63U5hdEfSE-XnfrREFAx-HIKnOMTxFF3DtRCty1pZCPpmMvu823R9x0s4gnIYA0hNnXZHdk8veyUKsuz-op0TyjRHrBXCBm0-iJ4Ka3agSqfCyL8Uns0sxeFwcKXJ12lXkLERZ4Bj1p1eu32BXIbhXZhvZshu96Cdz6TunASInHybamwpWRjm15YHjL4WApusUSY_opb2tb1Zc4iyQLApiDMsYBTXUck5U0MFWwxmHMWjrV-kbjjEjvW2d12IgdXjzkIUfnBdAkXu-f9BZnZ1ILO4R9s9dJbb1Htb0LJfSbjSmdseZxs_XWldJtWZEzf9qfFluQ=w1236-h928-no?authuser=0

And here is  what it looks like when I play the movie from the standard Movie Node:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fGqSe40s0aAw2NkHM1p2AnyBu-MFWA36dY4dt_IP0T3DBNZzOW25O3ZuLzh_iPatm_R0S4jnhM5DJ3UNDB1gpAXVlt4X02DLxa4osdwYjQ3vVN8KGdIT4SwdzRKpTVrb-v4nwr8f1t0goO7UmdNb5UQTp1dTuqEYjAHCeASmznbaQS6v_a1NK7gRoZ57tSgAasFMFc4y8PXMNS0l4aAz9ip7NXDmQ9QMNHrqzVk6ypO1zuNx2dqYcD5kjWgW3Re7U73V-nabLL0DHyCShhoGCaDhJEY3czEJQ3cVyTuXjQxWlBUDEj2ZEYTKPLz-sQbKxoaHPj_a9eTaQlgYWjdBo5xtfHvEwc0P6vPLisfQ-YBs4ic03c_TkuKmYozQPg95sSpMmUmuZ-rwpJM-BTwWaoEEjVNxulEvjAKTpZF4Oj5plo6FocpjAQQ1B2LvkkjTzxZuT2uPOkEwL9Bo8OHFbUg0N6yYFRk2rTThr5kzGezeoOVrvGthyiYyTrrY1XIwWroI1DFHOpNCIj97cTh262xNi3i3sHhHgtaPWc0Od3LvShlVa_YuZewT4ZcsGengnbEVHla6ZYQYQmnPQ-VV3T-jQVkUa5pMxWZgD4CdZhmnQOzn88u8khvxOsLNBy1zpVKQutKdxdYvRanyNTFruH9sS6XG7mtELc09aNUEKX9ME7ag2ahAdMclI3nx7hPlAPoRajiXADGywfo1TaQDTf_dV2C2LH4HukPAKHQOrUf40jg1B6xFc-m-f9UKHgvea4sgkOyOz7ndWb-GqpHy1o04qR-jfYfubgwNGtaP5483ZL17H2tN7rLpoHlHZfDgKQfKP37y3t-FK5LXfqnM3h_EkhEyxLmxlye5agc07dnWRdKBhW1HnBv8WeFrypEP9IIq248PGLFwY273u2K3HCk7OXpj5gvmKQpXVfVB0XeYGw=w1236-h928-no?authuser=0

When I played both of these, Emby server displayed the exact same message:

image.png.7d01199c0d3bf49b1e9e595cd6e570cd.png

As a test, I also tried to play this exact movie from directly in the Emby for Kodi app via the Dynamic -> Playlists, and the video played perfectly fine. All metadata appeared perfectly fine. It is just and issue when I play a video from the widget context.

Please let me know whatever other information you need!

Please send me your playlist for review (via PM if it's confidential). Seems you are using external links in your playlist, and this is nothing I tested yet.

Edited by quickmic

nuentes
4 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Please send me your playlist for review (via PM if it's confidential). Seems you are using external links in your playlist, and this is nothing I tested yet.

I don't know that I can? Maybe I can? These are created from the Smart Playlists plugin.

nuentes
27 minutes ago, quickmic said:

ok, that's an important information. I'll try this plugin.

Apologies. I didn't suspect the plugin did bizarre magic you'd never seen before. I should have mentioned this.

• Like 1

nuentes

Still seeing the same things with 7.10.3

Also, I noticed that if one of these playlists includes a STRM file, it won't play. I assume this is another matter of dropping the URL to lowercase?

quickmic
On 11/14/2022 at 6:14 PM, nuentes said:

Still seeing the same things with 7.10.3

Also, I noticed that if one of these playlists includes a STRM file, it won't play. I assume this is another matter of dropping the URL to lowercase?

I tested everything I could imagine. No issue found.

nuentes

I've uploaded my Thanksgiving Episodes playlist. Nothing too special about it now that I look at it. This playlist was generated by the smart playlists emby addon.

I've also created a video of what I see, as I realize my prior screenshots didn't work.

In the video, I play videos from the exact playlist I have in the xml I shared in order to show the OSD. Then I played the same video from my TV library, and showed the OSD. I then showed how I created the node.

Again, these videos work just fine when I play them directly from the Dynamic Nodes section of E4K.

playlist.xml

quickmic
10 hours ago, nuentes said:

I've uploaded my Thanksgiving Episodes playlist. Nothing too special about it now that I look at it. This playlist was generated by the smart playlists emby addon.

I've also created a video of what I see, as I realize my prior screenshots didn't work.

In the video, I play videos from the exact playlist I have in the xml I shared in order to show the OSD. Then I played the same video from my TV library, and showed the OSD. I then showed how I created the node.

Again, these videos work just fine when I play them directly from the Dynamic Nodes section of E4K.

playlist.xml 19.79 kB · 0 downloads

The playlist includes native paths, I assume the are are accessible. You mentioned it's fine via dynamic addon.

Question, are you using this dynamic node in your homescreen widget?

(An Emby Playlist of either episodes or movies added to my homescreen as a widget)

Kodi has it's own "playlist" widget and if you use this one, it's not a plugin related issue. There should be zero difference if you play via dynamic node or with the same node embedded in youe homescreen. They would work exactly the same, cause it access the same node.

btw, I see special characters in you playlist "TV_#-M", could be an issue if you use Kodi's playlist system.

Edited by quickmic

nuentes
10 hours ago, quickmic said:

The playlist includes native paths, I assume the are are accessible. You mentioned it's fine via dynamic addon.

Question, are you using this dynamic node in your homescreen widget?

Kodi has it's own "playlist" widget and if you use this one, it's not a plugin related issue. There should be zero difference if you play via dynamic node or with the same node embedded in youe homescreen. They would work exactly the same, cause it access the same node.

btw, I see special characters in you playlist "TV_#-M", could be an issue if you use Kodi's playlist system.

Yes, in the video, I play the video from the playlist, and then play it from the actual TV Episode node, and demonstrate that the OSD is different. The playlist is an Emby playlist. I actually updated the widget during the video as well, so you can see that I selected the Dynamic Node.

I am NOT using Kodi playlists. That is how I used to do this, but I much prefer using the Emby Smart Playlists, which are easier to configure and more powerful. I have migrated most of my playlists to Emby Smart Playlists. I would absolutely never report an issue with Kodi Playlists to you, and I am hyper aware of them.

I use Native Paths. I have direct access to the drive. Again, the native path clearly works during the video. I can play the video either way. It's just that the OSD does not show me the media info and the coverart. I repeat - the video plays perfectly fine, but the OSD doesn't display the title or show the cover art.

I know you are a very busy guy, and I'm sorry I it's a 2-3 minute video, I wish I could have made it a bit shorter, but it does actually demonstrate everything you are asking about. I urge you to check it out. Some important timestamps:

• 0:14 (I play the video from the Playlist widget, and demonstrate the media playing but the OSD not showing media info)
  • 0:35 (shows the OSD for the EXACT SAME VIDEO except it was opened from the TV Node. The TV Node was created by Emby for Kodi, as Emby is my only media source.
  • 1:04 (shows the media source for the widget that I'm playing from)
  • 1:29 (I walk through Re-adding the media source as a homescreen widget)
  • 2:35 (I play the video from the Playlist widget again, and demonstrate the media playing but the OSD not showing media info)
  • Thanks 1

nuentes
1 minute ago, quickmic said:

Update, I was able to reproduce the issue. No idea why this happens, I need to debug it.

So if It's because 'I'm going crazy', at least I have company.

• Like 1

quickmic
Just now, nuentes said:

So if It's because 'I'm going crazy', at least I have company.

Yep, it's very strange. I was only able to reproduce it, if I directly added the content of a playlist as a widget as you did. Adding the complete playlist "folder" with its submenus was fine here. Must be something weird.

nuentes
1 minute ago, quickmic said:

Yep, it's very strange. I was only able to reproduce it, if I directly added the content of a playlist as a widget as you did. Adding the complete playlist "folder" with its submenus was fine here. Must be something weird.

Wait, what? If you have a valid workaround with my existing skin, then I'm fine with just using the workaround. Silly to debug and write specific code to solve an issue for a single person.

quickmic
7 minutes ago, nuentes said:

Wait, what? If you have a valid workaround with my existing skin, then I'm fine with just using the workaround. Silly to debug and write specific code to solve an issue for a single person.

Only if you drop the playlists into the widget, but I'll debug it anyway. This must work as well.

widget1-2022-11-18_17.15.55.mkv

nuentes
22 minutes ago, quickmic said:

My hero! I needed to re-add the widget to the home screen, but it was great after that.

Now, 2 issues came up while installing/testing.

1) I've lately been getting a message from E4K saying restart initiated due to changes to advancedsettings.xml.changes. I got 2 Kodi restarts in a row after installing. I think these began after I installed 7.10. I've added the Kodi log. I know this isn't related, so I'd be glad to create a new thread if you prefer.

2) when I try to play a STRM file from the widget, I get a message that it failed to play. These are YouTube STRM files, and case sensitive.

kodi.old.log