MB 2 not getting artwork for MKV files

Newalpost

Newalpost

Greetings....

First post here so be gentle.....

I've been using MBC 2 with WMC for quite a while and playing my ripped DVD collection quite successfully using the internal player i.e Windows Media Player.  For other technical reasons I have to convert my ripped DVDs to another format and I've chosen MKV.

What I can't get MBC2 to do is get the artwork for these MKV files.  Each file resides in its own folder and both folder and file have the name of the Movie.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this doesn't work?

Thxs

Update....  Actually it looks like MBC2 is getting the artworks since they appear in the folders but they are not being displayed

Edited by Newalpost

I believe tmdb (the source for the artwork) is phasing out some of their old APIs so it is quite possible that a lot of this type of stuff is going to start ceasing to function in MB 2.

I would suggest investigating an upgrade to the new system.

Newalpost

Thanks for the reply...

As I mentioned at the end of the post.  MBC 2 is getting the backdrops etc but they just don't appear on screen.

I've tried MB3 and MBT but ran into lots of problems with them, plus I wasn't that happy with the new look.  It also seems a bit of an overkill for my one pc system.

This all started because I've updated to a 2TB USB Hard Drive and Win 7 won't play Video_TS folders from it using Windows Media Player.  I've set up MBC2 to use VLC which will play them but the handover to/from VLC to MBC/WMC isn't that clean.  Basically if you stop VLC it doesn't close and return plusthere's a noticeable delay in opening VLC to start playing.

I'd really like to stay with WMP but the only option is to use a file like MKV.

MBC is pretty much the same thing as MB 2 from an interface standpoint.  Did you try that?

Also I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having.  I don't see why a different hard drive would affect the supported video format...

overClocked!

Thanks for the reply...

I've tried MB3 and MBT but ran into lots of problems with them, plus I wasn't that happy with the new look. It also seems a bit of an overkill for my one pc system.

I'd really like to stay with WMP but the only option is to use a file like MKV.

Have you thought to try using MB3/MBC's included Classic Blue skin rather than the Chocolate skin that is activated by default? It is the MB2 default look and feel. You should be able to play Video_TS files from a USB drive. I have set my friends up to do this and they use primarily USB drives for storing their DVD rips in that format. I wasn't able to get them to play using MBT, but in MBC in WMC (oh, the acronyms!!!) works great for every setup I have done. You may consider disabling the newer playback interface for add rips so your DVD menus work properly.

Newalpost

Thanks everyone....

Also I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having.  I don't see why a different hard drive would affect the supported video format...

My original setup was 2 x 500Gbyte drives each containing my ripped DVD's.  A folder for each DVD with the Video_TS folder inside.  The main folder being the name of the movie.  This setup played fine using Windows Media Player via WMC/MBC.

I bought a Seagate 2TB USB drive and copied all my collection over to it, so the exact same folder setup but now all on one drive.   The ripped DVDs will not play from this.  They start but WMP and Media Player Classic hang after a few seconds into the movie.

I tried this directly from Windows Explorer by right clicking the .IFO file and opening with either WMP or MPC, same result.  Movie hangs after a few seconds.  If I select the .VOB file that will play.

I've tried this on 4 different Win 7 machines and 1 Win 8 machine with the same result.  In fact I've literally just tried this again with a Win 8 machine with a 500GByte and 2TByte drive attached.  Same movie on each - 500GByte works, 2TByte doesn't

In all cases VLC plays the movie just fine.  Also XBMC will play them back.

A search of the Internet revealed a few other people having the same problem and but with different makes of USB drive and all 2TB or more.  Suspicion is that Windows DVDManager module is having problems and that VLC doesn't use this.

Same people have taken their 2/3/4TByte drives out of the case and fitted them internally and the movies play.

I'm prepared to convert to MKV but I would like to find out why MBC 2 wont display the posters and background images.   I've tried MB3 and it seems to have the same problem but I'm going to try that again on a different machine that's not had MBC 2 previously installed.

Thanks for the suggestion to use a different skin.

Thxs all

That's an odd one but it is best to get off of the video_ts format in any case as it will limit your capabilities with almost all media software.  MKV would be a much better container.

Also, just as a point of clarification - MBC is "Media Browser Classic" which is the WMC client app for Media Browser Server (MB 3).

What you are using is just the old version of MB which we refer to as MB 2.

Newalpost

Also, just as a point of clarification - MBC is "Media Browser Classic" which is the WMC client app for Media Browser Server (MB 3).

What you are using is just the old version of MB which we refer to as MB 2.

Sorry for the confusion about the TLAs :)

I've been playing some more with MB3 on a new Win 7 64 bit machine.  The good news is that it seems to scrape the MKV files the bad news is that it wont play the MKV files via Windows Media Centre i.e Windows Media Player.

I get the message - Cannot Play VIdeo.... WMC cannot find the specified file...etc.   The file plays in WMP if I open it directly.  I've set the library path in WMC to point to the folders with the MKV files but that makes no difference and the same thing happens if I try and play the file from WMC.

I have another Win7 64 bit system with the old MB2 and that will play the MKV files.

FWIW:  I have the CCCP codec pack installed and using the LAV Splitter

LAV is all you really need for codecs.

FYI - the WMC player is not the same thing as WMP and this may be the problem you are encountering.  WMP is a 32-bit app but WMC is 64.  Therefore, to be able to properly play most things in WMC you need the x64 codecs.  Testing with WMP on a 64-bit system is not a good test.

I would suggest you uninstall CCCP and then just install all the LAV filters and splitters (including the x64 ones).  Then try it.  Be sure that you have pointed to your library on the server in such a way that the MBC machine can access the files directly (use UNC paths instead of drive letters).

But, all of this is off topic for this forum so, if after doing all of that, you still have issues please post a new topic in the proper forum.

Welcome to MB 3!

Newalpost

Thanks again.....

I just discovered what you mentioned -- WMC is 64 bit and it calls the 64 bit version of WMP.   I now have the 64 bit Lav splitters installed and all is working well.  Apart from my USB problem but that's for another day. :)

Many thanks.