Problem with Categories

Film Playlist

Film Playlist

Not sure if this is an Emby problem or an M3U TV Tuner problem.

First problem is where the arrow is pointing. Roku version of Emby just doesn't remember chosen categories. I always have to reelect if I reboot my Roku, or if I use another app.

20220921_154248.thumb.jpg.8adf44cec21c507b759af70199fb282b.jpg

Example here. It's set to "all channels" always.

20220921_154302.thumb.jpg.a6bdc51b5adbb043d8ddc8070bfa0f09.jpg

Last is, the channels are not visible in the Today's column.

20220921_154346.thumb.jpg.34f1b7b0a78828dc99cb113f3a5cde2a.jpg

1 hour ago, Film Playlist said:

First problem is where the arrow is pointing. Roku version of Emby just doesn't remember chosen categories.

Hi.  That is by design.  We do not remember those filters as they are designed to be temporary.  If you want to permanently hide certain channels, you should use the channel configuration in the server to do that.

That's an interesting one but I think there is a clue at the very bottom of your image.  What is the name of the first channel in that list?  Is it really long?

Film Playlist
On 9/21/2022 at 6:31 PM, ebr said:

That's an interesting one but I think there is a clue at the very bottom of your image.  What is the name of the first channel in that list?  Is it really long?

That's not the point. Having that (along with as many logos included) allows the user to quickly skim & eyeball channels with out having to read them. There are sometimes far too many channels to read the headers. And I don't want to necessarily favorite everyone either.

I also have another issue, where it appears that all TV shows I try to record only records ruffly about a minute. And I can't modify the recording length. How can I solve that?

Edited by Film Playlist

That's not the point

Hi.  I'm not trying to make any point.  I'm trying to diagnose what is going wrong with that display.  Do the channels have extremely long names?

Film Playlist
51 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I'm not trying to make any point.  I'm trying to diagnose what is going wrong with that display.  Do the channels have extremely long names?

Not that I can tell. However, I do think at least some of the problem may have to do with possible missing information from the EPG.xml file. But, then again, the same XML file appears to work better in PLEX for a lot of channels. The only difference between Emby and Plex is that you pull in all the channels (including VOD), whereas PLEX doesn't.

On 9/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, Film Playlist said:

Not sure if this is an Emby problem or an M3U TV Tuner problem.

First problem is where the arrow is pointing. Roku version of Emby just doesn't remember chosen categories. I always have to reelect if I reboot my Roku, or if I use another app.

20220921_154248.thumb.jpg.8adf44cec21c507b759af70199fb282b.jpg

Example here. It's set to "all channels" always.

20220921_154302.thumb.jpg.a6bdc51b5adbb043d8ddc8070bfa0f09.jpg

20220921_154346.thumb.jpg.34f1b7b0a78828dc99cb113f3a5cde2a.jpg

Do you know what the name of the channel it is that's cut off at the bottom? Can you provide a copy of your m3u and xml tv for testing?

I also have another issue, where it appears that all TV shows I try to record only records ruffly about a minute.

Hi there, can we please look at an example?

Thanks.

Film Playlist
On 9/25/2022 at 8:01 PM, Luke said:

Do you know what the name of the channel it is that's cut off at the bottom? Can you provide a copy of your m3u and xml tv for testing?

I don't know, but, I didn't realize until you mentioned it that there does seem to be a size issue. Roku is definitely set at 1080p. I'll have to check my SamsungTV's setting later.  However, I don't seem to have a problem viewing with my mobile, or my desktop. In Roku, I don't care that I don't see the logos, but I should be able to see at least the channel names on the far left as shown below of via Firefox.

TV.thumb.png.24b85022ddf59dc1a2893ba59f24b6f6.png

12 hours ago, Film Playlist said:

but I should be able to see at least the channel names on the far left as shown below of via Firefox.

We agree and we are trying to figure out what situation would cause what you are seeing.  That's why we're asking the questions we are but you are not answering them :).

Is that channel list in the browser the exact same one as shown previously in the Roku?

Film Playlist
40 minutes ago, ebr said:

We agree and we are trying to figure out what situation would cause what you are seeing.  That's why we're asking the questions we are but you are not answering them :).

Is that channel list in the browser the exact same one as shown previously in the Roku?

No it's not... I've also double checked my SamsungTV screen settings, and they're setup properly. there seems to be a number of bugs, but it's not clear to me weather it's the Roku version of Emby, or actually something that has to do with M3U TV Tuner/DVR that is inadvertently causing this.

Could you please show us the exact same set of channels with the same user logged in on both the browser and the Roku?  That could help us spot what is going on.

Thanks.

Film Playlist
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Could you please show us the exact same set of channels with the same user logged in on both the browser and the Roku?  That could help us spot what is going on.

Thanks.

From my laptop using firefox

Emby.thumb.png.f70f7dedcf80f4cfd05051810bda3ac7.png

My SamsungTV using Roku

20220928_134000.thumb.jpg.a8349c0bffb4be8a6ac662d5fd6f848c.jpg

Thanks. Okay, I think this just comes down to the fact that the Roku shows you a logo and a channel number and your channels have neither of those.  I guess it needs to fall back to a name if those don't exist.

Also, it looks like you need to adjust your display to properly contain the screen.  It is bleeding outside the bounds of the physical device.

Film Playlist
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Thanks. Okay, I think this just comes down to the fact that the Roku shows you a logo and a channel number and your channels have neither of those.  I guess it needs to fall back to a name if those don't exist.

Also, it looks like you need to adjust your display to properly contain the screen.  It is bleeding outside the bounds of the physical device.

Again, I've already checked the displays and they're set properly. My Roku is the one not giving me  the station information on the left column. I don't care about the logos, at least have the name of the station on the far left column.

Also, I don't understand why when I record TV shows, they stop recording after 10 minutes. I can't seem modify this.

18 hours ago, Film Playlist said:

I've already checked the displays and they're set properly

Look for an "overscan" or size or zoom setting on your TV.  It clearly needs to be adjusted as part of the screen is bleeding off the right and bottom edge.

18 hours ago, Film Playlist said:

My Roku is the one not giving me  the station information on the left column

Yes that's because it doesn't currently show channel names there.  We will have to add that when there is no logo.

Film Playlist
40 minutes ago, ebr said:

Look for an "overscan" or size or zoom setting on your TV.  It clearly needs to be adjusted as part of the screen is bleeding off the right and bottom edge.

I fixed that already. It view normally now. But, the issue is still the same. Even so, the overlap wasn't so bad that I wouldn't see at least the channel name in that column.

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes that's because it doesn't currently show channel names there.  We will have to add that when there is no logo.

The app will need to be updated. I didn't mean to suggest that adjusting the display would affect that. Just that it was clearly a problem in your screenshots. 

Improving your guide data is the only other thing you could do in the short term. 

Thanks. 

Film Playlist
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

The app will need to be updated. I didn't mean to suggest that adjusting the display would affect that. Just that it was clearly a problem in your screenshots. 

Improving your guide data is the only other thing you could do in the short term. 

Thanks. 

thank you..

Film Playlist

Hey @ebr

In the next iteration of Roku app. Please add a feature to hide channels with no important channel information. There are a lot of channels, and it appears that if I want  to correct channels, I'd have to go to each station and correct them manually within the EPG/M3u files.. That is too much to deal with..

20220930_193606.thumb.jpg.11ff7b0706db19dac03345d9e38e5146.jpg

Also, when mapping a station, please add a feature were we can type in search clues manually, to make it easier. It sick that we have to search and read through tuns of lists. The is unthinkable to have users go through this primitive method!

mapp.png.6e1678d2a892ba6007f011931340c73f.png

Edited by Film Playlist

Hi. You can already manage which channels are viewable in all apps from the channel management interface in the server.  

If you are in the US, you really should have no problem getting decent guide data for most channels - we even provide it with Premiere.

Film Playlist
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. You can already manage which channels are viewable in all apps from the channel management interface in the server.  

If you are in the US, you really should have no problem getting decent guide data for most channels - we even provide it with Premiere.

The problem isn't "the view-ability. the problem is the EPG file I've received from my provider is jacked up. That's part of my problem. A significant amount of channel information is missing, which is part of the reason why things are not properly displayed. As I've said before, there are far too many channels to manually re-map each station. It would be more beneficial if there was a why to automatically hide channels that don't have complete information in the metadata. This way, I can only concern myself with channels I do care about. I've asked my provider for a better EPG with better metadata, but I get no response. I"m sure the M3U data is screwed too.

• Thanks 1