Auto rotate enhanced area & make playable or add to Watch List

FrostByte

FrostByte
  1. Request the enhanced area automatically rotate the randomly selected item when focusing on My Media libraries in vertical layout. 
  2. Make the randomly highlighted episode/movie/song somehow playable from the enhanced home page
  3. Have the ability to add the highlighted media to Watch List

This is sort of like it already does in horizontal layout where it rotates a random movie/episode, etc at about 20 secs and is clickable if the album/movie/episode, etc it picks catches your interest.

Right now, you have to scroll around in order to force a refresh and there is no way to play the highlighted album/episode/movie, etc from the Home Page.

This would apply to all ET based clients like Android, Samsung, Xbox, etc that use the new enhanced area for media libraries.

Could use hard press or double tap in Android to bring up a menu

image.png.8c4488ab932be6295ed36a246264958e.png

Edited by FrostByte
added ability to play randomly selected media from Home
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

FrostByte
9 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Rotate? 

I edited the description because I guess I left out what needs rotating.  However, what I meant was when you focus on a library it randomly selects something to display in the enhanced area.  But it just sits there static.  For instance, in my pic it randomly chose Loki which will remain shown unless you manually refresh the focused item.

It would be nice if it rotated the randomly selected item (Loki in my pic) from all the available items in that library.  If you've ever used horizontal mode, you can see it already randomly selects an item to highlight.

1 hour ago, arrbee99 said:

And it should be clickable and/or playable (as no doubt mentioned somewhere else...)

Agree to the request and also to arrbee's statement.
IMO there should be some sort of shortcut to the item that is being shown in the enhanced area.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Added making the randomly chosen media file playable to the original request.

I also added a comment that maybe clicking PLAY would start the file

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

And it should be clickable and/or playable (as no doubt mentioned somewhere else...)

That would present a problem with navigation on a TV.  There would be no way to get to it.  That is not a row on the home screen.  It is a static display area.  If you try to go "up" to it, you will, instead, move to another row.

FrostByte
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

That would present a problem with navigation on a TV.  There would be no way to get to it.  That is not a row on the home screen.  It is a static display area.  If you try to go "up" to it, you will, instead, move to another row.

I don't think you should have to navigate anywhere though.

All you should have to do is click the Play button while the focus is on that library, and it plays the show which is shown.

Right now, I just tested it, and it actually plays something already from that library when clicking Play.  So its kind of working now.

I'm just not sure how it picks what it's going to play.  It's not show which is shown in the enhanced area.  It always wants to play the Daredevil series for some reason.

• Like 1

FrostByte

That kind of sounds like a bug.  Even if it doesn't auto rotate, why is it always playing Daredevil for me when clicking Play.  That's not the first item in my library alphabetically and I haven't watched Daredevil in a couple years now.

19 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

All you should have to do is click the Play button while the focus is on that library, and it plays the show which is shown.

+1

At least for those remotes that have a play button, e.g. Shield. 

FrostByte
1 minute ago, neik said:

+1

At least for those remotes that have a play button, e.g. Shield. 

Hopefully most remotes have a Play button.  My Samsung and Xbox multimedia remotes have one.  My game controller doesn't.

FrostByte

I see right now it does choose what to play based alphabetically

• Movies library by title of movie alphabetically
  • For TV shows library it plays the first episode by title alphabetically
  • Music library it plays the first song alphabetically

So, request is that this be changed and that it instead plays the item shown in the enhanced area when clicking the Play button

arrbee99
6 hours ago, ebr said:

It would, I think, I presume, be nice if it could effectively become a proper (but optional) row, random items from the item selected in My Media - random row of 8(?) clickable items from Movies, random 8 items from TV Series, etc.

FrostByte
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

It would, I think, I presume, be nice if it could effectively become a proper (but optional) row, random items from the item selected in My Media - random row of 8(?) clickable items from Movies, random 8 items from TV Series, etc.

It doesn't really need to be a row though.  You can already click Play now.  It just doesn't start the movie which is being highlighted. 

Seems like an easy fix to me

• Like 1

arrbee99
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

It doesn't really need to be a row though.  You can already click Play now.  It just doesn't start the movie which is being highlighted. 

Seems like an easy fix to me

I live in hope 😀

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Clicking play on a library behaves just like it does on any other container item.  It plays the contents of that item.

FrostByte
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

Clicking play on a library behaves just like it does on any other container item.  It plays the contents of that item.

Yes, I know it starts playing the container from the same movie, song, or episode alphabetically every time.   The question is can that behavior be changed. 

If you can randomly shuffle a Playlist container, surely you could if you wanted to start playing the movie which you've already randomly picked to display while in enhanced mode.   

I like the movie 300, but I can only watch it so many times.

If Play doesn't work, then maybe some other button or method. 

I'll change the request to leave out the how though.

• Like 1

K1ng_Lear

Hi,

in the current under development Android ET App my wife likes the horizontal view very much. Why is this so? Our start library is our movie library and in horizontal view there is always a random suggest from the library wich rotates frequently. My wife really loves this feature. 

No my request. Would it be possible to implement such random suggest in the vertical view, too. I could imagine to give the user the option if he want the advanced vies for the dashboard or a random suggest from one library he can select.  (Of course should there be an option to deactivate this advance view, too)

Thanks for considering.

Edit: I recently opened a new topic without recognising that there is still this thread. So I think, it almost matches my request perfect. So I support FrostByte's request 100%. 🙂

Edited by K1ng_Lear

• 1 month later...
Amanade3

I have recently noticed some changes in the emby web app. In the TV mode, It allows you to choose between vertical and horizontal scrollable pages and i wish this feature returns in the android tv app

and as a bonus i wish it features add to watchlist option for randomly displaying titles on the home screen.... Here are some images to illustrate my ideas

ATV H.png

ATV V1.png

ATV V2.png

ATV V3.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

FrostByte

I've got a similar one to add Play and Add to Watch List for the enhanced area of the new Android app which already has the horizontal view.  Maybe they can be added to both views at the same time.

Edited by FrostByte

Hi. Marking as duplicate to the above request (for the additional buttons in that view).  The first request is satisfied by the standard Android app which will be available in the TV store in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Amanade3

Also one thing I noticed and liked on plex is that, it has add to watchlist button while you watch trailers before the main movie. Emby doesn't have this feature. you know if you watch a trailer from your local library it would be nice if you have the option to add to watchlist while watching the trailer. ( sorry I couldn't show what's been shown on my screen.... Android tv policy I guess.)

Screenshot_20221115-181322.png

Screenshot_20221115-181558.png

• Like 1