Convert Resolution

stephen_hill
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

stephen_hill

Hi

On the convert modal, and the convert help pages, there is no mention of what resolution the output will be. So I have a number of question about this:

1. Do the convert feature change the resolution or does it always keep the original?
  2. Is there a feature request open to allow changing the resolution?
  3. Please can you update the modal and the help pages to mention what the resolution will be, even if it's the original resolution.

I think this is important because I'm currently converting a 4K movie to "Mobile" and I don't know if the output will be 4k, 1080, 720 etc.

Many Thanks
Stephen

image.png.e6831d851eb150bb370a8903e2289df6.png

stephen_hill

Can anyone help answer some of the questions above?

The movie I was converting to "Mobile" profile output at 720x300 (The original resolution was 3840x1608). I honestly expected it to have a height of around 720.

This is why I think it's really important to show the output resolution, and maybe give the user a choice.

For me personally, 720p is the bare minimum I would convert/stream a video.

Many Thanks
Stephen

stephen_hill

@C.S. I suspect your right, and that the same rules/logic are used for transcoding and conversions.

At the moment, it feels a bit like a black box and it would be really helpful for there to be an outline of how that black box works.

For instance, I may want to convert my 4K HDR movies to 4K without HDR, keeping everything the same. I've no idea how to do that using the convert modal.

• Solution
  1. Do the convert feature change the resolution or does it always keep the original?

Hi, the answer is that it's automatic based on the bitrate you select, although more control is possible for future updates.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
Kimjifap
On 23/09/2022 at 15:09, Luke said:

Hi, the answer is that it's automatic based on the bitrate you select, although more control is possible for future updates.

@LukeHi, I would love more control with video conversion. Being able to select what resolution will be output would be great. Bit depth control. Audio channel control. maybe an option to select bitrate types like constant bitrate.

• Thanks 1