Suddenly lost ability to stream on Roku

Dabster

Help!

I've been using Emby for years streaming on either one of my two Roku accounts.  Then I gave an extra to my parents and deleted on theirs my apps that they wouldn't use.  Got home and realized it also deleted those apps on my Roku at home.  I reinstalled Plex without issue, but Emby will not "find" my server.  

On the Roku, it won't accept my LAN IP address or my Port or my email or my password -- nothing.  I deleted the server on the app, and then it came back later.   

I even tried uninstalling everything from my desktop and reinstalling as if new, but it would pick up on my pre-existing account without letting me stream (it kept wanting me to buy Premiere).  I finally gave in and purchase Premiere for a month and I could stream on my desktop but nowhere else.

Thanks for answering.  It times out, and says there was an error and could not reach the server at this time.  Also, to check if it's running (which it is since I can access the media via my desktop).  This is when I try manual connection to the server (add server).

But I also get the same error when I chose the recognized server.

I've also tried emby.media/link but I kept getting invalid username and password although I haven't changed them in years.  I created a new username with the same password and got to the point where the looping circle appears but it ultimately never connects nor does it time out - even an hour later.

Hi.  Are you positive you are using the proper address and port?  Re-installing the app has reset any saved address that was there and perhaps you are remembering them incorrectly?

You also want to go the dashboard of your Emby server. Go to settings and find the DEVICE section. In that section choose devices. Then find and delete "ALL" Roku devices you may find. Delete All Roku devices you see in Devices. This doesn't make it so the Roku cannot connect. Once you delete all the Roku devices that username/password error will go away. That error means authentication is invalid. To redo this you just need to clear all the Roku from your devices and let them reconnect. Once they reconnect they gain a new authorization instead of comparing to the old. Deleting devices doesn't mean they cannot connect again.

It sounds like your router might have changed your Emby servers internal IP address. So that Emby Connect cannot forward correctly. It also means the server entry will be incorrect.

You should be able to "skip" the initial prompt to sign in and manually enter your server address/port from the In-Home/Remote access shown on your Emby dashboard.

image.png.dafa052c3e740a5e5cdf09843585001c.png

Are you entering the exact address/port shown on your dashboard?

Edited by speechles

Thanks ebr and speechles.  Yes, I've copied the LAN and port exactly as it appears on the dashboard.   However, I have not tried deleting all ROKU devices and will give that a shot.

If my router changed the IP address, it would appear in the dashboard right?

2 hours ago, Dabster said:

f my router changed the IP address, it would appear in the dashboard right?

What happens if you put that exact same address in a browser address bar?

Hi Luke and all:

Sorry for the delay in responding, had to find time on Saturday to work on it.  I deleted Roku from devices and then reinstalled Emby on my Roku.  Went to media link to enter new code and it was accepted.  My Roku has had the spinning white wheel (presumably uploading) for about 20 minutes.  How long is that supposed to take?   

I did get to this level once before on a different Roku in my home, but after 2 hours just closed it.   That was before deleting the device.

Also, I have an Apple stick that never had Emby or Plex uploaded.  When all this first happened, I uploaded Plex without issue but had the same problem with Emby which makes me think the problem is not with Roku.  The problem has something to do with Emby and/or my router...

On 9/21/2022 at 10:00 PM, ebr said:

What happens if you put that exact same address in a browser address bar?

Hi.  Did you try this?

EBR, 

If you mean the browser in my desktop, I just get an error saying the page cannot be reached because it's taking too long to respond.

I ran diagnostic and got this message:  Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device [space] Detected or resource [lists LAN address] is not responding.

I clicked on details and there was a lot of Wi-Fi data but I don't think that would be wise to share on a public forum.  Is there something specific I should be looking for?  Still confused why my Plex works, but Emby doesn't.  I've been using Emby for years but every once in a while it goes all psycho-kitty on me.  Eventually I can get it back after a day or two of finagling, but not this time so far.   Odd that Emby has the same issues on my Apple Firestick (where I had never downloaded it before) and yet Plex works just fine there using the same external drives and desktop functioning as a server.

2 minutes ago, Dabster said:

I just get an error saying the page cannot be reached because it's taking too long to respond.

Okay, so that indicates that either that address is incorrect or something is blocking it.

If you have some apps that work, please use one of them to connect for just a minute and then post the server log here and tell us what app you used.

Thanks.

OMG.  I got it back.  I had to erase the stored LAN address and let Emby auto-connect which it did.  Then my username and password worked, and it's all back.  

Thank you to everyone for your patience and suggestions!!

Dave

• Thanks 2