Downloads Never Complete

maxxoverclocker
Go to solution Solved by maxxoverclocker,

maxxoverclocker

Hi! I'm running into a strange issue where after I've selected a number of items to download, the first one completes very quickly and the rest never do. Interestingly enough looking at some network traffic statistics, the app is constantly downloading:

image.png.47fb247fb14c38b1d73ddd89a3d5707c.png

image.png.106c017f3ea1dfec2b5e25bc59ca6f0a.png image.png.e2e0565a8a9ae67ef655cf8222564ffe.png

Looking on the SD card I can see that the files do appear to be downloading.

image.png.8b3582a95a67725a9a88e47d7c6c1408.png

But then 10 minutes later, some items are smaller than they were before...

image.png.f6cfb3e023b13c92c2ff448fab34aadb.png

To me it looks like it's constantly downloading and re-downloading the same media over and over. In the last hour, this android tablet has downloaded 72 GiB from my Emby server, however there's only ~9 GiB of media on disk.

This issue is happening on an Amazon Fire Kids 8 (10th Gen) running Emby for Android 3.2.62 (latest) connected to Emby Server 4.7.6.0 (latest). I've attached the server logs. Please let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try. I've already tried uninstalling the app and formatting the SD card and then reinstalling and confirming storage permissions.

embyserver.7z

The 'converting' suggests that you're settings have Emby transcoding from the original files before downloading, which would make it take longer and result in different file sizes than the originals.

maxxoverclocker
6 minutes ago, roaku said:

The 'converting' suggests that you're settings have Emby transcoding from the original files before downloading, which would make it take longer and result in different file sizes than the originals.

Yep! That's what I'm expecting to happen. I've used this feature for a few months now with no issues. I have a dedicated GPU for hardware transcoding, so each item only takes a few minutes to convert.

maxxoverclocker

Update: after 2 hours, the app has downloaded 153GiB, but only 12GiB are on disk... something definitely isn't right. In the span of 5 minutes, refreshing the data on the SD card, I saw it download one of the items 3 times. It does indeed appear to be downloading and re-downloading over and over.

image.thumb.png.dd4cfcbc27f69490299e3242adc8dfed.png

• Solution
maxxoverclocker

For anyone else struggling with the same issue. Apparently Android still formats SD cards with FAT32... which if you aren't familiar has a 4GiB filesize limit. The transcoded media was coming in just over 4GiB and once it hit the limit, Emby would re-download (over and over and over again.) I changed the target bitrate from 8mbit to 4mbit, and there's already 8 items downloaded.

I'm not sure how to make this more user friendly other than perhaps a warning if you choose 'External storage' for the download location in the Emby app? Or maybe a warning if the download fails? There weren't any notifications regarding failed downloads. I wouldn't expect most people to be able to figure this out themselves unless they were familiar with the limitations for FAT32. (Why this is the default for Android still??? EXFAT was released in 2006...)

Hopefully this helps someone else save a few hours of troubleshooting!

• Thanks 1