Nvidia Quadro P400 vs M2000 vs P2000 questions

ThePaladinTech

ThePaladinTech
My Quadro P400 card seems to have failed.  Once windows is booted there is no video output. I can RDP into the box but there is no video signal being sent to my monitors.

I bought this card several years ago used, so it owes me nothing. but I'm hoping someone here can explain the differences (and pros / cons ) between the p400, M2000 and P2000.

Here's what I know:
the P400 is limited to 3 streams while the other two are unlimited

The M2000 doesn't do the following things that the p400 and P200 do.
H.265 (HEVC) 4K YUV 4:4:4
H.265 (HEVC) 4K Lossless
H.265 (HEVC) 8k
HEVC 10-bit support

am I correct that I want 10-bit for HDR?

Will the m2000 and p2000 do the transcoding faster or better than the p400? (both 2000 varaints have way bigger memory bandwidth and 'cuda cores' ... I just don't know if that matters for my use??)

the p400 and M2000 can be bought for roughly the same price, where the p2000 is double.

I'm also looking at both emby being able to transcode on the fly (which is all I use the p400 for now) and using a utility like unmanic or tdarr to convert the videos.  My most used clients are all Roku's

as always thanks for the wisdom!
Edited by ThePaladinTech
clarification

am I correct that I want 10-bit for HDR?

Hi, yes you are connect.

Will the m2000 and p2000 do the transcoding faster or better than the p400?

I'm not sure about faster, but I would probably suggest excluding the m2000 based on the unsupported hevc features that you mentioned.

RanmaCanada

For the cost of the card you could migrate your server over to something that uses quicksync, and be done with video cards.  It would also have superior quality at Kabylake or higher.  In regards to quicksync speeds, it depends on what generation of ASICS are on the card.  All cards of the same generation are the same speed.

I bought a rtx 3060, then I used some Nvidia driver hacks I found on GitHub that allows me to exceed the cap for nvenc transcoding , and made sure to enable the card on everything I could in emby.

😆 Working pretty great over here. 

The 30 series cards are pretty good, and have dropped in price substantially.