Windows Transcoding issue

mike_mcevoy

mike_mcevoy

Hey team, 

Sorry dont like posting issues as I like solving them myself but this one is stumping me!. basically I'm finding that Emby server is not using the GPU to transcode, only CPU. the GPU is installed and seen by both windows and emby but just refuses to use it and I cant see the reason. My Enviroment is on the complex side but happy its worked in the past but an update somewhere recently seems to have stopped it. I know the GPU is detected as I run TDARR on there as well (Disable that to confirmed it wasnt blocking it) and that is converting file correctly with the GPU. the CPU transcoding works at the moment as I have dual 10 core Intel E5-2680 installed

Server : Dell Poweredge R720XD
GPU: Nvidia 1050ti
Host: Proxmox 7.1
Guest: Windows Server 2019

I can see issues in the logs that seem to be reverting to software encoding but cannot see why. any Ideas? I have hopefully attached all the logs from the server.

Mike

logs.zip

Hello mike_mcevoy,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Happy2Play

Are you only having issue with files with excessing subtitle ie 42 steams?  But look like all transcoding sessions failed according to the logs.  But hardware was selected for Decoding but doesn't look like encoding is enabled.

>>>>>>  FindVideoEncoder - MediaType: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, HWA-Mode: Advanced
Info    Checking: 'x264 Software Encoder'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'x264 Software Encoder'

>>>>>>  FindVideoDecoder - MediaType: hevc, UseHardwareCodecs: True, HWA-Mode: Advanced
Info    Checking: 'NVDEC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - H.265 (HEVC)'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'NVDEC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - H.265 (HEVC)'
Info    Tone Mapping would be desired, but software tone mapping is disabled

mike_mcevoy

I have tried with both subtitled and normal films usually something 4k on my mobile which should force a transcode but nothing and either tries to play direct or uses the CPU, struggling to see what has chnaged.

normally run the beta channel of the server but also run the standard version as well and both do the same and also tried multiple version of Nvdia drivers to see if that helped but nothing. 
I cleared out the logs and started fresh so the entry in there is trying to run 4k Edge of tomorrow and no subtitles.

I cant see any options for enabling/disabling encoding?

Happy2Play

What does Transcoding-Enable hardware acceleration when available: Advanced show?

mike_mcevoy

was anyone able to check on this yet?

really strange that it just trying to play 4k video stright to my phone and not even attempt to transcoding it even though the GPU is there an recognised? I have done a few more tests to try and get it to pick the GPU up but nothing is making any difference.

I can clear the logs and attempt to create new ones to help if needed?

• 2 weeks later...
mike_mcevoy

Hi, I can try it on my personal PC for a test if that's what you are looking at. could be just that the GPU is dieing but its odd that the TDARR still uses the GPU to do the transcoding there. I'll update that once I have tested it.

36 minutes ago, mike_mcevoy said:

Hi, I can try it on my personal PC for a test if that's what you are looking at. could be just that the GPU is dieing but its odd that the TDARR still uses the GPU to do the transcoding there. I'll update that once I have tested it.

That would be great, thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
mike_mcevoy

Just to close the loop on this, I was never able to find the actual casue for this (either some dodgy file or a setting but cannot identify it) however as of now it is fixed

Resolution attempts:
1. update windows
2. try different nvidia drivers for the 1050ti (398.11,516.94,522.25)
3. reinstall live and beta copies of server (normally run Beta with no issues.)
4. created new emby server on same network (difference pc running a 2070) but pointing to the same file store (Works)
5. bought new 1050to to see if the original was failing (wasnt 🤣)

6. So with all those out the way decided to remove the existing install off the server (backup folder first of course) and create new instance, so used the portable installer 4.7.8.0 to move it to a dedicated drive (been meaning to do that anyway). Setup and pointed to a film folder that i knew wasnt transcoding and ran on a tv that would force a trancode, low and behold it works!

busy rebuilding my library so may take a while. no help in identifying the route cause but may help someone in the future?

Edited by mike_mcevoy
  • Thanks 1