FORUM - Have reasonable cut-off to for a FR to be considered duplicate

RaptorCentauri

RaptorCentauri

I'm sure I am not the only one who notices this:

A new feature request is made, and possibly gains some traction on the forum. Discussion is happening among members.

Suddenly a post is made saying the feature request already exists and we should contribute our discussion on that post. The current post is then locked.

In theory this is good. It keeps things in one spot. However, what can also happen is the discussion in the original request could be very old, or have very little discussion compared to the current one. Also no statement seems to be made if the feature is actually being considered seriously in anyway.

I think the mod/ admin team should strongly consider some sort of cut-off date to determine if a FR is "Duplicate" / Look at the level of contributions on each. First come first served doesn't always make sense.

Hi.  Merging is maybe a good idea but is sometimes less obvious to the participants and more confusing.  There needs to only be one topic per request or this forum doesn't work as intended and we do try to catch the duplicates as fast as we can.

The absolute best thing is for people to please use the search before posting new feature requests.  At this stage of our development, most features that aren't related to something truly brand new already have requests.

Thanks.

sydlexius
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Merging is maybe a good idea but is sometimes less obvious to the participants and more confusing.  There needs to only be one topic per request or this forum doesn't work as intended and we do try to catch the duplicates as fast as we can.

The absolute best thing is for people to please use the search before posting new feature requests.  At this stage of our development, most features that aren't related to something truly brand new already have requests.

Thanks.

One concern I'd have about merging is that the non-overlapping votes get counted as well.  Otherwise, I think it's a good idea.

sydlexius
Just now, sydlexius said:

One concern I'd have about merging is that the non-overlapping votes might not get counted as well.  Otherwise, I think it's a good idea.

FrostByte

Interest can also be judged by the amount of different people commenting.  When requests are in multiple threads or different areas of the forum you can't really see the amount of interest a request has from all the comments either unless merged.  For instance, the positional movement of subtitles has been brought up in the Samsung, LG, Android, Xbox, and other places in addition to this section.  So, if you just searched the topic here that wouldn't tell the whole story.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

This where the reputation system was never meant to be used for this as a user's reputation is now skewed by a feature request.  I believe they all should be polls as the is specific to the Feature not the user.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

as a user's reputation is now skewed by a feature request

Personally, I think it is quite valid for someone's reputation to increase with a popular FR.

• Agree 1