Live TV Discolored

OneAn9ryN00b
Go to solution Solved by BMelz,

OneAn9ryN00b

When watching Live TV through the Android app the stream is all discolored. This only happens through the Android app, and only on streaming live TV. Picture comes in fine using the browser on the same phone. Also comes in fine using other devices around the house including a tablet using the app, and my android tv app...just not my phone.

The phone is a Pixel 6 Pro running the latest OS Android 13. I have tried resetting the app to the defaults, clearing cache and rebooting, but getting the same results. Is there anything I could try to get this working? Is anyone else getting this?

App version: 3.2.73

Screenshot_20220918-143615.png

Screenshot_20220918-143952.png

• Thanks 1

It's been reported a few times, but no meaningful response from the Emby team yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MikeD315

I'm seeing this too on a regular Pixel 6.same stream via Chrome browser is fine. U installed app and re installed same thing. Been happening for at least a few weeks now. App version 3.2.77

OneAn9ryN00b
11 hours ago, Luke said:

That's strange. Can you please try this version of the android app:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

And then provide a log from the app by following these instructions: 

Thanks !

The new apk still has the same type of image. As for getting the log files, I'm unable to get them on my Android. My phone is not rooted, and any of the explores I try from the play store won't allow to access the Android/data/ folder. Is there any other way of grabbing the Android logs, or will the server logs surface?

I will note that this seems to only effect my Pixel 6 Pro, and only live TV, or recorded live TV. My other media plays just fine on it. I did test Emby on my Pixel 4XL and that plays live TV just fine.

• Like 1

VuongNguyen

Same problem here. Google pixel 6. Using Emby for Android 3.2.77. server 4.7.8.0. been going occuring for about 2 months. I can get the color to render properly by changing the Quality setting but the video stream becomes unstable.

• Like 1

I noticed today that when I set Live TV to 1080p - 15mb it looks fine, with the occasional stutter. When I moved it to 1080p - 20mb and above, the discoloration returned. This is on a Pixel 6a.

5 minutes ago, OneAn9ryN00b said:

I'm happy to report that that, I'm on ver 3.2.82, and the issue has been fixed for me. Thanks for the fix devs.

Are you sure it's fixed or is your test file just being transcoded or not MPEG2?

• Like 1

OneAn9ryN00b
15 minutes ago, roaku said:

Are you sure it's fixed or is your test file just being transcoded or not MPEG2?

I was only having issues with live tv, or recorded from live tv, so the only test file I would have would be a recorded tv...but when I just tested, I did both a recorded tv show, and a live one. 

Edit: looking at the two screenshots from what I had posted originally in the OG post, I see it's transcoding now....where originally it was direct stream...I'm currently at not on the local network where this is being hosted. So I guess it may not be fixed after all....I'll test when I get home and I'm on my local network that the server is on.

Screenshot_20221105-195246.png

Screenshot_20221105-195252.png

Edited by OneAn9ryN00b

OneAn9ryN00b

I stand corrected, when I got back home and on my local network it went back to distorted when direct streaming. Seems as though if it's transcoded it seems to work for me. But direct stream is a no go.

• Like 1

troyhough

I posted about having this same problem on Aug 25th. The issue has been going on for 2+ months now :blink:

Edit: Just installed 4.8.0.17. Issue still exists.

Edited by troyhough

MikeD315
On 11/14/2022 at 12:14 PM, troyhough said:

I posted about having this same problem on Aug 25th. The issue has been going on for 2+ months now :blink:

Edit: Just installed 4.8.0.17. Issue still exists.

Yeah what's going on here?  Don't any of the developers own a Pixel phone?  Issue seems to be pretty widespread and easy to duplicate on multiple Pixel phones...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeD315 said:

Yeah what's going on here?  Don't any of the developers own a Pixel phone?  Issue seems to be pretty widespread and easy to duplicate on multiple Pixel phones...

Others have reported seeing the issue in non Emby apps. If that's the case, then the issue may be at the driver level with nothing the Emby team can do about it but wait for an OS update.

troyhough
On 11/17/2022 at 8:05 AM, roaku said:

Others have reported seeing the issue in non Emby apps. If that's the case, then the issue may be at the driver level with nothing the Emby team can do about it but wait for an OS update.

Haven't seen it on any other app....

1 minute ago, troyhough said:

Haven't seen it on any other app....

Are you playing back MPEG2 video in any other app?