Live TV Stops at random intervals

nate5532

I have had some issues with my live tv stopping at random intervals. Sometimes it's 1 minute, and other times it's 10+ minutes.  

I attempted to look through the attached system log, but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for.  

If anyone has ideas, I'd gladly appriciate any help.  Thanks!

systemlog.txt

Thanks for the reply.  I have not tried that but I can give it a shot. 

I’m thinking I will still run into issues. I’ve tested this with on my pc Emby server (which is direct play) and it’s locked up, but also locks up when I connect via a client (Roku) that does transcode the stream.  

EODCrafter
13 hours ago, nate5532 said:

I have had some issues with my live tv stopping at random intervals. Sometimes it's 1 minute, and other times it's 10+ minutes.  

I attempted to look through the attached system log, but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for.  

If anyone has ideas, I'd gladly appriciate any help.  Thanks!

systemlog.txt 2.89 MB · 2 downloads

IPTV or OTA Live TV?

• 2 months later...
nate5532

Sorry for the delay here, but reviving my thread (even though it is a couple of months old)! Continuing to have the same issue.  

I attached my ffmpeg log.  My emby server is on a windows PC, and this example was from my TV's Roku app. 

Note that I have also experienced this issue with several other devices in my house, including the emby app on my LG OLED TV, my 2022 Apple Tv, and another TV with build in GoogleTv.

One thing I noticed on the ffmpeg log is that the fps started out with high fps, but it slowly made its way down to 24fps.  Also, this stoppage isn't always consistent, but lately it seems that it craps out after about 6 minutes. 

ffmpeg-directstream-40e6bcff-9936-4729-8882-e9b67fdd9647_1.txt

By any chance have you noticed is those stops coincides with commercial breaks on the stream? I have a similar problem and manage to trace it to changes on the streams when there are commercial breaks or when the program is ending/starting.

nate5532
20 minutes ago, Mibok said:

By any chance have you noticed is those stops coincides with commercial breaks on the stream? I have a similar problem and manage to trace it to changes on the streams when there are commercial breaks or when the program is ending/starting.

I've seen that happen at times (when a program is ending/starting), but it is also happening at random times (and always important moments in a game!).  I'm having some friends over to watch a football game this weekend and want to make sure i'm not fiddling with the tv every 6 mintues.  

EODCrafter

IPTV is very unreliable and often oversold by the providers.....esp. during popular events like football games.

EODCrafter
54 minutes ago, nate5532 said:

Agreed, but if I watch it on a web browser (excluding emby entirely), I don't have this issue.  

Smart guy told me once, VLC, TiviMate, and Browsers take in all the garbage (skipped frames, continuity errors) and just play it. Emby/Other Media players have trouble with the buffering of that garbage.

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

We have asked @Luketo add a option to disable the buffering and he has stated it may be added in "Future Release". 😏

If you play IPTV in TVHeadend, it displays all those errors in real time and you can see how "broken" the streams are.

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

nate5532

Hmm... that's interesting and makes sense.  

I have a ton of TV's in my house (maybe 16?) and various 'smart' features (roku, googletv, appletv).  Rather than manage all 16 individually, I worked to find an server that had a client app that would work across all of my smart devices and Emby was it.  I'm really hoping to figure out some way to keep this setup working.  I'm kind of stressed about hosting 'the big game' this weekend with a bunch of firends. 

This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to have emby but to have the IPTV stream run in another media player (that is more relaxed), while still using my server/client setup above? 

I could also look into Kodi, but I really don't want to (I prefer emby, especially since 1/2 of my devices won't work with Kodi).  If I went this route with some of my devices, would it run into the same issue as emby does (since emby is a fork from kodi)?

Thanks again for everyones help, and happy thanksgiving!  

EODCrafter
4 minutes ago, nate5532 said:

This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to have emby but to have the IPTV stream run in another media player (that is more relaxed), while still using my server/client setup above?

Using Emby to feed the Stream?, no. I use TiviMate Premium with 5 accounts here. Kodi Simple IPTV works well to, no buffering.image.png.d3d1be241fcfa195d73a5edc63fce06a.png

nate5532

Thanks for the IPTV Simple Client tip!  I installed Kodi and that add-on on my PC and streamed an IPTV feed for hours without issue. 

Since emby is pretty sensitive to issues w/ the IPTV feed, it would be awesome if I could hook it up as a 'client' within emby to push it out to other servers. 

Based on your info, I am looking more into Kodi now and may need to purchase a bunch of compatible devices to get it up and running across the house.  I'm just not sure if Kodi can really act as a server/client as emby can.  I don't really want to manage 17 devices independent of each other!

EODCrafter
31 minutes ago, nate5532 said:

I don't really want to manage 17 devices independent of each other!

There is a setting to share kodi throughout your network. Never tried it though.

https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1