WAV Album Artist

stephen_hill
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

stephen_hill

Hi

As far as I can tell, Emby does not read the album arist from WAV files.

To confirm this bug, I setup a quick fake album. Here it is in mp3tag
image.thumb.png.984040e72268886197420989595bfefe.png

All 3 tracks are listed as seperate albums
image.png.30ef58994895473028ee7c5c85e375cc.png

Looking at the metadata inside Emby, you can see that it has filled the album artist with the artist field.
image.png.2e72f7f4b19032d0ceee1e80500099df.png

Cheers
Stephen

stephen_hill

Hi Luke

I created some example WAV files to send to you using Audacity (just blank audio), tagged them with MP3Tag, and they got picked up by Emby correctly.

So there must be something wrong with the specific WAV files I have.

Attached are two WAV files which don't import correctly.

Cheers
Stephen

Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever.7z

On 9/17/2022 at 5:09 AM, stephen_hill said:

Hi Luke

I created some example WAV files to send to you using Audacity (just blank audio), tagged them with MP3Tag, and they got picked up by Emby correctly.

So there must be something wrong with the specific WAV files I have.

Attached are two WAV files which don't import correctly.

Cheers
Stephen

Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever.7z 60.36 MB · 0 downloads

@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce with these?

Happy2Play

WAV files are not the same as MP3 or others as they are not tagged the same even though you see the info in mp3tag.

ffprobe results no albumartist.

C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system>ffprobe -i "C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 1 - Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Remix).wav"
ffprobe version 5.1-emby_2022_08_13 Copyright (c) 2007-2022 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
  built with gcc 10.3.0 (Rev5, Built by MSYS2 project)
[wav @ 000002bdae7eec80] Discarding ID3 tags because more suitable tags were found.
Input #0, wav, from 'C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 1 - Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Remix).wav':
  Metadata:
    album           : Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever
    artist          : Age Of Love
    genre           : Trance
    title           : Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Remix)
    track           : 1
    date            : 2013
  Duration: 00:03:55.01, bitrate: 1411 kb/s
  Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1411 kb/s

C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system>ffprobe -i "C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 2 - Saltwater.wav"
ffprobe version 5.1-emby_2022_08_13 Copyright (c) 2007-2022 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
[wav @ 000002194e3dadc0] Discarding ID3 tags because more suitable tags were found.
Input #0, wav, from 'C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 2 - Saltwater.wav':
  Metadata:
    artist          : Chicane
    title           : Saltwater
    track           : 2
  Duration: 00:03:37.73, bitrate: 1411 kb/s
  Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1411 kb/s

@Lukearen't we fallback to foldername/structure for AA on WAV files per other topic?

As my structure populated AA

image.thumb.png.abc193b4c7e39f8e3591fd2738f181e0.png

Edited by Happy2Play

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

WAV files are not the same as MP3 or others as they are not tagged the same even though you see the info in mp3tag.

ffprobe results no albumartist.

C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system>ffprobe -i "C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 1 - Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Remix).wav"
[wav @ 000002bdae7eec80] Discarding ID3 tags because more suitable tags were found.
Input #0, wav, from 'C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 1 - Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Remix).wav':
  Metadata:
    artist          : Age Of Love
    title           : Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Remix)
    track           : 1
  Duration: 00:03:55.01, bitrate: 1411 kb/s

C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system>ffprobe -i "C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 2 - Saltwater.wav"
[wav @ 000002194e3dadc0] Discarding ID3 tags because more suitable tags were found.
Input #0, wav, from 'C:\Users\Media\Downloads\Gatecrasher 20 - Past Present Forever\1 - 2 - Saltwater.wav':
  Metadata:
    artist          : Chicane
    title           : Saltwater
    track           : 2
  Duration: 00:03:37.73, bitrate: 1411 kb/s

@Lukearen't we fallback to foldername/structure for AA on WAV files per other topic?

As my structure populated AA

image.thumb.png.abc193b4c7e39f8e3591fd2738f181e0.png

Yes it will fallback to parent folder names if the music folder structure option is configured.

Happy2Play

@stephen_hill can you go over structure as the absence of info falls back to folder.  But a common problem with WAV files.

Edited by Happy2Play

On 9/16/2022 at 7:34 AM, stephen_hill said:

As far as I can tell, Emby does not read the album arist from WAV files.

Can I just ask you something? Why would you not convert WAVs to FLACs? You won't lose any sound quality, they'll take up less disk space, and FLACs have a much better-supported tagging system (not just in Emby, but in most apps).

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it just seems like there's absolutely no downside to converting them.

stephen_hill
1 hour ago, chowbok said:

Can I just ask you something? Why would you not convert WAVs to FLACs? You won't lose any sound quality, they'll take up less disk space, and FLACs have a much better-supported tagging system (not just in Emby, but in most apps).

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it just seems like there's absolutely no downside to converting them.

I've already converted them, but I thought I'd report the bug.

stephen_hill
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

@stephen_hill can you go over structure as the absence of info falls back to folder.  But a common problem with WAV files.

@Happy2PlayI.   At the time I reported this, my library was set to unstructured so the parent dir thing didn't work.

I've since converted the files to flac.

It's worth noting that if you create a WAV file in audacity and then tag it with an Album artist, then it works correctly.

So I assume there is just something wrong with the WAV files I uploaded and that, whatever the problem is, it needs to be fixed upstream in ffprobe.

Thanks for your help.

• Solution
Happy2Play

Exact same discussion here.

Album Artist Metadata Tag Not Being Read On Wav Files - General/Windows - Emby Community

As this is known that ffprobe does not see this info or ignores it.

"Discarding ID3 tags because more suitable tags were found."

Does WAV metadata technically even support it?

Wav Meta Data - Audio