TrueNAS Scale 22.02.3 GPU Passthrough issue

Mijo311

Hello all,

First, thank you to everyone that has come before and documented their issues and solutions as it has all helped me greatly in the last year that I've been using Emby. That said, I've recently decided to move away from my current NAS solution that is running my Emby install, a QNAP TS-453D, to a custom TrueNAS Scale build with some hardware I had leftover from my last gaming PC Build. I picked up a couple pieces of hardware to make the setup run better, or so I thought. I picked up an IBM M5110, a dual 2.5G NIC, and a used Nvidia Quadro K1200. All the hardware was installed and TrueNAS is recognizing everything there so that does not seem to be the issue per se. I installed Emby through the available Apps Catalog and the setup went easy enough and the installation did allow me to pass the recognized GPU through to Emby. The problem I'm running into is that Emby is failing to load the hardware correctly so the Quadro is not appearing in the Transcoding options menu. I've attached the last copy of the Hardware detection log where it says, "Failed to open the drm device /dev/dri/renderD128" Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

hardware_detection-63798828601.txt

Baenwort

As a FYI, TrueNAS Scale runs Linux so you may find more help in the Linux area: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/116-linux/

However, if I recall from my adventures getting hardware acceleration to work on FreeBSD based TrueNAS Core, this issue was solved by making sure the proper drm module was loaded (in my case for Intel GPU https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/activating-plex-hardware-acceleration.75391/post-525442 that was the drm loader and intel drivers). 

I suspect you need to add the nvidia drivers to your container. Since I'm not running the Linux based TrueNAS Scale you'll have to ask on the Scale forums for help checking that the drm module is loaded and passed correctly and how to add the nVidia drivers to your container.

Hello everyone,

So i've been working on this for a few hours tonight but sadly I haven't been making much progress. So far nothing I've tried from the forums works. I've tried to install the app via the docker installation method and still could not get the GPU passthrough to work. I've checked and I keep getting the same "Failed to open the drm device /dev/dri/renderD128" error. I've done a lot of digging to find something and I end up following the rabbit hole to other threads where it says to update the Nvidia driver, which Scale has disabled the ability to do on the latest version. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

我和你有相同的问题  我现在升级到了SCALE Bluefin的版本  它有更高的英伟达驱动版本,但是还是有这个问题  如果你解决了这个问题  请教教我
root@truenas[~]# nvidia-smi
Mon Sep 26 05:30:51 2022       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 515.65.01    Driver Version: 515.65.01    CUDA Version: 11.7     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA RTX A2000    Off  | 00000000:C4:00.0 Off |                  Off |
| 30%   42C    P8     8W /  70W |      0MiB /  6138MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                 |

"DeviceIndex": 1,
"DeviceInfo": {
"VendorName": "NVIDIA Corporation",
"DeviceName": "GA106 [RTX A2000]",
"SubsytemVendorName": "Dell",
"VendorId": 4318,
"DeviceId": 9521,
"SubsytemVendorId": 4136,
"SubsytemDeviceId": 5405,
"DevPath": "/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:c4:00.0",
"DrmCard": "/dev/dri/card1",
"DrmRender": "/dev/dri/renderD128",
"IsEnabled": 1,
"IsBootVga": 0,
"Error": {
"Number": -1,
"Message": "Failed to open the drm device /dev/dri/renderD128

I have the same problem as you. I have upgraded to the SCALE Bluefin version, which has a higher Nvidia driver version. However, if you solve this problem, please ask me

I still could not get this to work after devoting the majority of the weekend to it. Without a working fix I opted to just install Ubuntu and set up my ZFS pools from there.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
snoopyjoe14

Was anyone able to resolve this issue? I'm running the TrueNAS Emby container on TrueNAS 22.12.1 and I'm getting the exact same error as @Mijo311. Going through the logs and it seems whatever user Emby uses to open the render device does not have permissions to do so. Transcoding isn't the end all for my setup, but I do need it for my HDHomeRun. There is a bug in the Android app that changes the color of live TV without hardware transcoding .

Edited by snoopyjoe14

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, you should be able to get vaapi to work although it will require going through this topic:

Polymerase

Sorry for digging in here. 

I have an similar issue with the build in emby app on Truenas Scale 22.12.2. The system is a fresh install and containing a Nvidia p2000 Card which is useable via vm and Nvidia-smi. However, no matter what I configure in the docker „app“ (Nvidia 0/1 gpu) emby doesn’t see the gpu. I am also a lifetime user, so hardware transcoding should be no problem at all.

I also tried to use the values provided by Nvidia for multiple access on the gpu (NVDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES ; NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES).

Polymerase

Maybe it help somebody:

If you are using the emby app from the truechart catalog, it is possible to claim Nvidia gpu in the Setup file AND recognized by emby. Now transcoding is working.

@LukeDo you know what is the difference from truechart app and „official“ truenas catalog?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 3:10 PM, Polymerase said:

Maybe it help somebody:

If you are using the emby app from the truechart catalog, it is possible to claim Nvidia gpu in the Setup file AND recognized by emby. Now transcoding is working.

@LukeDo you know what is the difference from truechart app and „official“ truenas catalog?

They are put together by two different people. Ideally there shouldn't be two.