Intro Skip - Previously On

Jrod696

I was not quite sure where to put this question and I couldn't really find anything that answered it straight forward so I figured this would be the best spot.

I am not sure how the Skip Intro feature works as in the logic for finding the intro but it is the best thing since sliced bread!

It would be great if it could skip the Previously On before the Intro as well, I mean lets be honest, I am binge watching series xyz and I am already on season 2 Episode 4, I already know what happened in the previous episodes I have been watching for 8 hours! 🙂

• Like 1

crusher11

It works by comparing the audio track between episodes and marking it as an intro if there's a period which is an exact match. The Previously On would be different in each episode and therefore impossible to detect in this way. 

sydlexius
1 hour ago, Jrod696 said:

I was not quite sure where to put this question and I couldn't really find anything that answered it straight forward so I figured this would be the best spot.

I am not sure how the Skip Intro feature works as in the logic for finding the intro but it is the best thing since sliced bread!

It would be great if it could skip the Previously On before the Intro as well, I mean lets be honest, I am binge watching series xyz and I am already on season 2 Episode 4, I already know what happened in the previous episodes I have been watching for 8 hours! 🙂

I'm not sure if this works with the core Intro Skip capabilities (I still cling to the plugin), but for shows that have the intro immediately after the recap, you can bring up the timeline and skip to the chapter immediately after the intro.  I'd love to see support for other tag types like recaps and post-credit scenes (ideally multiples of the latter, since some entities just roll that way!)...that would lay the ground work for leveraging tools and services such as what @TeamB provides.  I doubt you'll ever have a robust algorithmic solution to recaps, but post-credit scenes may work (for those folks working on the "credits" plugin).

Regards!

• Like 1

rbjtech

so yes, echoing some of what @sydlexius has said above - Automatic Introskip to include 'Previously On' is simply not going to happen using the current detection method - as each one is unique - for obvious reasons.

However ..

IF emby could add additional 'markers' - then skipping this is perfectly possible in combination with @TeamB Introskip concept of using a 'known' fingerprint - which has been uploaded by the community. 

In this instance, you would just upload the 'fingerprint' for that episodes  'Previously On'.   The 'Intro' for that episode may already be covered by a Season or maybe a Show 'Intro' fingerprint - thus, I believe these should be kept separate.

I know that emby has the capability to add more marker types - so it's just a matter of getting support for it - but in all honesty, this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

IF the Intro follows the 'Previously On' - then your best bet is simply manually move the 'IntroStart' marker (using the Chapter API Plugin) to the start of the Previously On - BUT of course then then no longer get a choice in the matter if you did want to watch it..  IF there is content inbetween the Previously On and the Intro - then you are out of luck I'm afraid.

Edited by rbjtech

5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

so yes, echoing some of what @sydlexius has said above - Automatic Introskip to include 'Previously On' is simply not going to happen using the current detection method - as each one is unique - for obvious reasons.

However ..

IF emby could add additional 'markers' - then skipping this is perfectly possible in combination with @TeamB Introskip concept of using a 'known' fingerprint - which has been uploaded by the community. 

In this instance, you would just upload the 'fingerprint' for that episodes  'Previously On'.   The 'Intro' for that episode may already be covered by a Season or maybe a Show 'Intro' fingerprint - thus, I believe these should be kept separate.

I know that emby has the capability to add more marker types - so it's just a matter of getting support for it - but in all honesty, this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

IF the Intro follows the 'Previously On' - then your best bet is simply manually move the 'IntroStart' marker (using the Chapter API Plugin) to the start of the Previously On - BUT of course then then no longer get a choice in the matter if you did want to watch it..  IF there is content inbetween the Previously On and the Intro - then you are out of luck I'm afraid.

I do think that we need to continue to work on a way to edit these markers in the core but I do find it a bit funny that one would go to all that trouble to avoid watching 30 seconds of whatever.  I mean, you're going to spend a lot more time finding the right place to put these markers than you will just watching the content you are trying to skip...

rbjtech
46 minutes ago, ebr said:

I do think that we need to continue to work on a way to edit these markers in the core but I do find it a bit funny that one would go to all that trouble to avoid watching 30 seconds of whatever.  I mean, you're going to spend a lot more time finding the right place to put these markers than you will just watching the content you are trying to skip...

On the ChapterAPI - The idea is you do it for the community - so the next person to use the service automatically gets your update (fingerprint) that you have previously provided.  

It also applies for multiple local/remote users - ie - you do it once and then all users benefit.

If it's just a single user - then yes, agree, it's a waste of your time. ;)   

Alternatively, of course, just strip 'Previously On' from the file ..

Edited by rbjtech

I will be 100% honest I was just trying to be even more lazy than I already am, now that I understand how the skip intro work it makes perfect sense.

Now to play devils advocate, you ask why go through all the trouble to avoid 30 seconds of whatever, but that was exactly what adding the skip intro feature was created for, to skip 30 seconds?

Lastly I think editing the files is not the greatest idea, it would be fix to the problem but then again you are ruining the original file integrity, and if that was the case you could just then edit out the intro as well and it would take forever.

I do like the idea of a community based database that emby could reference, I mean its not too far off from tvdb being a scraper to provide metadata, or using opensubs to grab subtitles,  it seems like a group or service out there that has a finerprint of an episode would not be as crazy of an idea as one would think.

with all that said I am super happy with the skip intro function and love it, I did not mean for it to become a huge discussion with my question and I think as far as everything goes on my end my question has been answered extremely well, at the end of the day I was more curious how it worked to see if it was something that could expanded on, now that I know it uses the audio stream which is genius I see how and why it cant work.

• Like 1

rbjtech
26 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

I do like the idea of a community based database that emby could reference, I mean its not too far off from tvdb being a scraper to provide metadata, or using opensubs to grab subtitles,  it seems like a group or service out there that has a finerprint of an episode would not be as crazy of an idea as one would think.

This is a working solution today (for Intro's) - it's part of the Chapter API Plugin from @TeamB.   There are not many Intro fingerprints on there - so it won't replace the Core (or Plugin) Introskip - but the concept of it - as you correctly say, is the same as a metadata provider.   If they could carry the FP for the Intro, then we would be set !

Edited by rbjtech

sydlexius
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Individidually, you're correct.  But if there's a way to synchronize and validate these sorts of tags + fingerprints, then eventually the effort is outweighed by the benefit.

Yes, @TeamB had a great idea.
I am using ChapterAPI to go through my library and will upload the fingerprints once I've verified them.
Will take some time though.

And as others already stated having the fingerprints for the "previously on" part I think ChapterAPI will do a great job in the identification.
I really hope his plugin gets some support from the community to get it going, after all every user benefits of a maintained fingerprint DB.

So I was thinking about the logistics of skipping the previously on/recap of a show, it would still require some form of meta reference, but if there is already in place a way to find the intro and skip it really there just needs to be a check, if the skip intro appears greater than say 5 seconds or even 10 seconds after the video begins, then reference a previously on flag and it would skip everything up to the end of the intro, no need for adding in chapters or getting super fancy

Case When Intro Start > 10s and PrevOnFlag =1 then SkiptoEndIntro else SkipIntroBeginning End as IntroCheck

Edited by Jrod696

rbjtech
19 hours ago, Jrod696 said:

So I was thinking about the logistics of skipping the previously on/recap of a show, it would still require some form of meta reference, but if there is already in place a way to find the intro and skip it really there just needs to be a check, if the skip intro appears greater than say 5 seconds or even 10 seconds after the video begins, then reference a previously on flag and it would skip everything up to the end of the intro, no need for adding in chapters or getting super fancy

Case When Intro Start > 10s and PrevOnFlag =1 then SkiptoEndIntro else SkipIntroBeginning End as IntroCheck

That would work for some scenario's but not all.  We went through this in depth when developing the Introskip Plugin 18 months ago.

For shows that have the Intro at the start - this works well, and your logic stands - For shows where the Intro is not at the start (and could be anywhere from 0-15 minutes or even more) then there is no logic you can apply because there is new content after the 'Previously On' but before the 'Intro'.   There is no way to detect where this is.

We were going to put an optional feature in to do exactly as you have described (for Intro's beginning in the first 10 seconds) but decided against it because of the inconsistency (and questions why it doesn't works on show X..) it would cause. 

• Agree 1