4K streaming on local buffers repeatedly

Friends

I'm not sure if this is an Emby server or Firetv specific question, however when playing a 4K video on my FireTV on a local network it will buffer repeatedly. I have set the bitrate to auto and when that failed I  then throttled it way down and yet even then it still stops and buffers albeit  less frequently.  This behavior is only on the Firetv and does not happen on the same local net using emby theater on PC.  Isn't the firetv Emby app supposed to be able to adjust the the bitrate automatically when that option is enabled?  I thought I would mention that this happens on every 4k movie I have.  I have ordered a wired Lan adapter for the 4k FireTV and its on its way and will update with results and upload a log when I get home.

RanmaCanada

It actually sounds like your wifi is garbage.  I would replace your router with something not provided by your ISP.  Though you have not mentioned if your server is transcoding the file to your firetv or not.  If your server is transcoding it because your TV is NOT 4k, then it's possible that your server is throwing up during the transcode process.  For the record I have a 4k Max and have no issues streaming 4k remuxes to my firetv on wifi.

Well the Amazon Firetv ethernet adaptor did the trick. This TV is not a 4k TV however neither is the PC that plays the media without issue. The PC has always been a wired connection. My router is a Nighthawk R7900P https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r7900p/ and only 15 feet (Wireless) from the FireTV.  Unless the server hands off some of the transcoding to the client PC then the server choking only on the FireTV makes no sense to me.  Can you explain?

On 9/15/2022 at 11:38 PM, Friends said:

Well the Amazon Firetv ethernet adaptor did the trick. This TV is not a 4k TV however neither is the PC that plays the media without issue. The PC has always been a wired connection. My router is a Nighthawk R7900P https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r7900p/ and only 15 feet (Wireless) from the FireTV.  Unless the server hands off some of the transcoding to the client PC then the server choking only on the FireTV makes no sense to me.  Can you explain?

Hi, the server does not hand off transcoding to the client, however, it might still be able to direct play 4K content. We'd have to look at a specific example in order to answer in more detail. Thanks.