New user -- trouble installing on Synology -- crashing and can't kill

Gretschguy

Gretschguy

Hi,  I'm trying to install Emby for the first time and running into a lot of issues with the first installation on Synology.

I'm installing on my Synology NAS running 7.1-42661 Update 4.   I have Plex running fine and I have a shared folder with my music where Plex has Read Only access.

I installed Emby just fine on my NAS and then granted Emby Read Only access to my music files like I do for Plex.  It's unclear to me whether this can work or not but I wanted to try that first.  This may have caused all the havoc that followed.

I then set up my first library which Emby was able to access and scan.  But no music appeared when it finished, which was odd.  Eventually Emby crashed and I could not kill it so I had to power cycle the NAS (unplug).

From there, I restarted the NAS and changed the permissions to Read/Write for Emby.   But when I went back to Emby, again it just froze up and I could not kill it or stop it from the Synology Package center.  It just spins.

I had to once again restart my NAS by pulling the power.  The NAS would not allow me to restart or shut down.  

So, a couple questions:

(a). How do I cleanly kill the Emby process so that I can restart my NAS cleanly?

This is more of a general question regarding Synology processes but I thought the Forum could help on this.  I'm about to unplug the NAS for the third time today :(

(b).  Should I attempt to uninstall Emby and try a fresh restart of this using Read / Write permissions?   Do you think that decision put me into this state?   I had hoped to use Read Only access because I use my own meta data for album information and don't want to risk my music data.

Finally, I'm really interested in trying Emby,  so I hope someone can help get me rolling here.

Thanks

Gretschguy

image.thumb.png.2c514953f8cb28180938ead0843bbc20.png

Gretschguy

I was able to eventually uninstall Emby and re-install from the Package in Synology.   Then it prompted me to update to the most recent version and all is good.

So I'm up and running.  I still have a few questions:

(1). Per my note above, if it happens again and I must kill a process is there an easy way to do that on Synology?

(2) Do I definitely have to grant WRITE access to Emby?   Will it run with only READ access?

(3). Is there a way to tell Emby to use only my embedded cover art and only my album metadata for album information?  I would like to use the online sources for artist information only but I strictly want to use my  album information.

Thanks!

Gretschguy

Gretschguy

Another update: 

I did change privileges for Emby to READ only on my Music share where my music files exist.  Everything seems fine so far.

I also signed up for a month of Emby premier since playing on CarPlay is a big deal for me, especially managing and playing downloads.  I’m looking forward to trying this.

I also found in the forum how to set up a library to use embedded tags — this is also working now.

So the first day of Emby had a rough start but seems to be winding up in a good spot.

I remain unfamiliar on how to kill a process on Synology without a terminal and root access.  That seems really odd to me given how easy it is to do on a Mac.  Does anyone out there know an easier way on Synology to kill a process?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...