outbound and inbound traffic on Emby Server

HUGO1963

Hello

I want to capture six streams from the internet with EMBY Server and retransmit them in real time to a local network with several users.

Is the incoming traffic independent of the outgoing traffic from Emby Server?

Regards

Is the incoming traffic independent of the outgoing traffic from Emby Server?

@HUGO1963 yes it is? Can you please describe your question in more detail? Thanks !

Hi

I attach a diagram for a better explanation.

Is the traffic of the input stream_Mbps( Internet) proportional to the traffic of the output stream _Mbps (intranet)? 

Regards

streams.png

rbjtech

I'm not 100% sure on what you are asking - but emby will take a source - be it from a local disk, NAS, or streamed IN via IPTV or an IP Tuner for example and the Emby Web Server will make this data steam available via HTTP.

There will be a fractional delay (in ms) vs an IPTV or tuner stream, but it is effectively live.

The output streams may be 'direct play' where the source is not touched - it is just encapsulated for HTTP - but it may also be converted 'on the fly' should your clients not be able to direct play it or you have chosen not to reducing the bandwidth.

Does this answer your question ?

Thanks

Just to be sure that I understand your answer, I will give this example:

Suppose that from a remote encoder the stream of a TV channel is sent over the internet to the EMBY server. The bandwidth of this stream is 10 Mbps. At some point 15 users from the local network connect to the server to watch that channel.

Will the 10 Mbps be enough or do we now have to increase the bandwidth on the encoder side to 150 Mbps (15 users x 10 Mbps) ?

rbjtech

The outgoing (egress) bandwidth is multiplied by the number of users.  So in your example - you will need 150Mbit/sec for the 15 users - this is not multicast, each user gets their own unicast tcp connection.

I believe there is a Feature Request somewhere if you are thinking of Multicast here - ie again, using your example, this will multicast using just 10 Mbit/sec - and users 'subscribe' to the multicast channel to pickup the video stream.